2 Qx: Pond/Waterproof dog bed

Two outdoor related questions for you:

Does anyone have a non-elevated bed (not interested in the coolaroo type, we have those and Violet doesn't love them) that is suitable for leaving outdoors all of the time (completely waterproof) and thick enough for an older grey who needs an orthopedic bed? Bonus if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

And does anyone have a man-made pond in their yard that the dogs have access to? Have you had any issues? Do you worry about or have to monitor for blue-green algae in the summer? 

Thanks!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Would a cushion from an outdoor chaise lounge work?

I would worry my dogs would drink pond water = Leptosporosis 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Do you have a Tractor Supply near you?  They have several waterproof beds.  I have 2 Snoozer rectangle beds, size small.  These are to replace 2 I bought about 3 years ago.  The outside shell is coated with plastic on the inside, so they are quite waterproof.  There are two downsides that I have found:  if your dogs nest, that coating eventually flakes off, and they are airtight, so they have air holes on the sides to allow air to escape when the dog steps on them. They are about 6 inches high and compress to about 4 inches when the dog gets on and air escapes.  It takes awhile for my dogs to get used to that poofy-ness.  Mine have been peed, pooped, and puked upon, then tossed in the washer to be cleaned, but I've never used them outside.  Sadly, they were just on sale, but the regular price is about $65 for the small rectangle, free shipping and delivery to your house.  Anyway, you might check out their beds.

Not exactly a pond, but we took Buddy on a canal trip with us last year and he must have been splashed with canal water as he developed a skin infection which resulted in quite large blisters - about ten on his body - which scabbed over. He needed antibiotics and shampoo to treat it. The first thing the vet asked was if he’d been near standing water so I assume it was from the canal

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Given all of the issues surrounding pond water, lakes etc, I'd stick with a kiddie pool. It seems like every summer we get yet another type of seriously bad algae, parasite or skin condition that no one has ever heard of before from standing water, not to mention the mosquitoes and associated parasites. At least with a kiddie pool you can put clean water in it, and dump it when you're done to keep the mosquitoes away. 

My brother who is in a rural area north of Baltimore has a small pond in his back yard with Koi in it.  The fish and the pond plants require little treatment or maintenance,  but he is constantly having hawks and an occasional eagle try to get the Koi.  He has some large chicken wire type fencing over it to deter the birds.  He said there's nothing that make you sweat more than having to pick a hawk out of the chicken wire without getting torn apart by them. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks for the feedback so far.

To be a little more specific, pond would have water that moves. I don't know a lot about ponds, but I am interested in the type that recirculates the water with a pump. Actually saw a neighbor's that is on a bit of an incline and the water runs down over some rocks before landing in the pool of water. I don't know how much that affects things like algae, etc (presumably better?), But that's what I'm thinking of. Highly unlikely I would put fish in it. More am extension of my garden so irises, etc growing in it. 

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 5 weeks later...

I don't have an outdoor bed because we don't spend time on the balcony, but I asked a friend who has a couple of Greys and a nice fenced yard. She has the Orvis sunbrella beds. They are expensive, but nice, and last a long time.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

We love this bed:

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products-Indoor-Outdoor-Waterproof/dp/B01ECC9A6Q?th=1

It's stays on our deck, and dries out quickly even after heavy rains.  The large is big enough for both of our 56 pound girls to lay on together.  We have only had it one season so far, but it has held up well through a very wet spring and a summer that has been pretty rainy.  Not cheap, but worth it, in my book.

5 minutes ago, smt said:

We love this bed:

https://www.amazon.com/Pet-Products-Indoor-Outdoor-Waterproof/dp/B01ECC9A6Q?th=1

It's stays on our deck, and dries out quickly even after heavy rains.  The large is big enough for both of our 56 pound girls to lay on together.  We have only had it one season so far, but it has held up well through a very wet spring and a summer that has been pretty rainy.  Not cheap, but worth it, in my book.

Here's a pic of Bette and Ursula on the bed:

116280864_3358816580837746_9036193416223

Ohhh, thanks for these suggestions! The K&H bed looks perfect other than being $$. Will check out the Orvis too.

11 hours ago, NeylasMom said:

Ohhh, thanks for these suggestions! The K&H bed looks perfect other than being $$. Will check out the Orvis too.

The reason I like the K&H bed so much is that rain runs through it rather than being absorbed by it, bc of the way it is constructed.  Once the sun pops out, the bed dries pretty quickly.  Just wanted to add a little extra info . . .

Two beautiful brindles!:inlove

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

a man-made pond in their yard that the dogs have access to?

I inherited a beautiful stone ornamental pool, built into a hill in the back yard, when I moved to this house.  The hill is too steep, and has a large bush, on one side for greyhound access.  I have plants in pots in the water lining the edges that greys could get to, preventing  them from being able to get a drink.  It keeps me from seeing the water surface from my back porch but that's a small sacrifice.  There is a place for a waterfall with an electric line going to a pump, but that will have to wait for my 2nd million dollars.  I keep a little water movement going with a solar fountain and toss in allegedly dog-and-bird-friendly mosquito larvae killer.  Main problem is guys who mow yard always mowing with exhaust side close to the pool so it gets grass clippings, which turns it murky.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter