Spooked Greyhound - help!

Hi everyone! Long time reader first time poster. My boyfriend and I adopted our first grey 3 weeks ago. She is a very sweet and polite velcro hound who loves her food! We had a bit of a spook last night and I want to get the community's advice on how to handle this and make sure she is comfortable in her new home. For reference, Rhea spends the day lying on the floor next to us as we work in the living room. She goes into her crate in our bedroom voluntarily at bedtime and the crate is always open. She has really started to open up and become more comfortable with us this past week - wagging her tail, enjoying her walks, exploring the porch, and responding to her new name. I can't express just how much she is finally coming out of her shell, and we were so so excited to get a glimpse of our girl's personality! 

However, last night while she was snoozing, my boyfriend was tossing a ball around (something he does often while watching tv) and it fell on her. She woke up very spooked, ran a couple laps around the apartment, and then straight into her crate. We respect the crate as her space so we do not pet her while she is in it, but we do give her treats and talk to her. We took her on her nightly walk and she was energetic and excited, but back to the crate when we got home, and again this morning. Her walk schedule was also a little messed up yesterday and she met some new people, so I'm thinking the startle was just the icing on the cake. I know this is very normal, but I cant help but beat myself up over this! We are very worried this could be a huge setback and that she no longer feels safe. I typically like to keep the bedroom door closed while we are in the living room as I dont yet trust her not to get into something (we have dog proofed but hounds will find a way!) But I really do not want to shut her out of her safe space now. What should we do? How long will it take for her to feel comfortable in the living room again?

First off, you didn't break your dog.  This is totally normal behavior.

Second, don't stress about it.  Let her do what she wants and be where she wants to be and work through whatever she needs to work through.  Keep her schedule the same every day - food, walks, treats, potty times.  And let her make her own choices about how and where she spends her days while you're working.  Yummy treats seem to always help the process, too!

A few set backs are normal and she needs to develop confidence in herself and trust in you.

And don't forget to do your Alone Training now for whenever you will be going back to work out of the house.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

:nod What greysmom said.

Continue praising her. Gradually let her discover new things - walks, toys, noises. Don't coddle her if you sense a negative/spooky reaction. She has landed on a new planet and everything is new to her.

Don't force her into the living room. I've only had one true spook, an 8 year old return. He wanted to live in a back bedroom 23/7, and only came out food meals and to potty outside. It was months before he peeked his head in to the living room. We ignored him and gradually he got braver and actually entered the room. He never got over his spookiness totally. To see him slowly embrace calmness and routine was wonderful to see.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

She'll soon get over it although persuading your boyfriend not to throw the ball around might be a good idea as she'll associate the sound of it bouncing with it landing on her.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

My first 2 greyhounds love squeaky & stuffed toys.  When I brought Maya home I assumed the same.  Forget it.   I tossed a stuffy over to where she was laying & scared the poor thing.  She got up cowering and shaking.  Have never tried it again.  Just not her thing.  Now I have a bag full of toeys that are waiting for the next grey to my home!! 

Edited by zimsmom

Thanks for all of the reassurance and feedback! Sure enough, she got over it after a day or so, and my boyfriend is no longer tossing balls around until she is confident in her new home. 

Regarding @greysmocomment on alone training - we have left her alone for up to an hour on a couple of occasions and she did great. I'm not sure how to find a way to leave her alone for longer periods as we live in a major city and the stay at home orders are taken seriously. Any suggestions? Would shutting her into the bedroom for increasing intervals during normal work hours help or hinder the process as she knows we are still home in the living room?

Thanks!!

Short time durations are fine for Alone Training.  It's getting her used to the coming and going that is the goal.

Just remember that she's going to take some extended time to feel comfortable with any new thing.  The dog you have right now will NOT be the dog you have in 3 months, or 6 months, or a year from now. 

Time and patience, always.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ahhh the excitement of a new dog! CONGRATULATIONS!

My boyfriend and I are a couple of months ahead of you - had our first grey for three months now. Believe me when I say you probably have a fair few more of those moments to come yet. It's amazing how sensitive these bags of lovely bones are. 

My grey still statues here and there, leaps out of his skin sometimes and is still nervous on walks. The one thing I have learnt is not to agonise over it..... so really don't stress! People weren't kidding when they said greys take a LONG time to adjust.

The leaping excitement when he sees us if we've been out, throwing a squeaky ball at us whilst his ears bounce around and tentatively putting his head on my lap all (hopefully) affirm he's slowly settling, trusting and happy. But it's taken a while. 

It sounds as though you're doing a brilliant job with Rhea so you're probably starting to see little changes too. Slow and steady, and don't feel bad if she panics over something completely arbitrary - which she will. 

Have fun!

On May 8, 2020 at 11:27 AM, AnglovesRhea said:

Thanks for all of the reassurance and feedback! Sure enough, she got over it after a day or so, and my boyfriend is no longer tossing balls around until she is confident in her new home. 

Regarding @greysmocomment on alone training - we have left her alone for up to an hour on a couple of occasions and she did great. I'm not sure how to find a way to leave her alone for longer periods as we live in a major city and the stay at home orders are taken seriously. Any suggestions? Would shutting her into the bedroom for increasing intervals during normal work hours help or hinder the process as she knows we are still home in the living room?

Thanks!!

Shutting her in a room will not help with alone training...she will know that you are still in the house! 

Even in lockdown, you can still practice going in and out of your house/apartment door.  Grab your car keys and coat and go out the door. Walk a few steps away ... Off the deck/down the hall... Then come right back inside.  Did Rhea get upset?  Whine? Bark? Scratch the door? 

Sounds like she's been OK when you've left on the past.

Dont make a huge fuss when you come back inside. Just set your keys down, hang up your coat and go on with your day. 

Do this several times a week...go for a drive.  Don't just stand outside the door...she'll know you're there. As the days progress, stay out for longer periods.  I'm sure you can figure a way to do it!

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Would shutting her into the bedroom for increasing intervals during normal work hours help or hinder the process as she knows we are still home in the living room?

Shutting, as in closing the bedroom door, or putting a gate across it?  Shutting the door will cause more problems.

Even in lockdown, you can still practice going in and out of your house/apartment door.  Grab your car keys and coat and go out the door. Walk a few steps away ... Off the deck/down the hall... Then come right back inside.  Did Rhea get upset?  Whine? Bark? Scratch the door? 

^ This is good advice.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

On 5/8/2020 at 12:42 PM, greysmom said:

Short time durations are fine for Alone Training.  It's getting her used to the coming and going that is the goal.

Just remember that she's going to take some extended time to feel comfortable with any new thing.  The dog you have right now will NOT be the dog you have in 3 months, or 6 months, or a year from now. 

Time and patience, always.

Chris is spot on.....Alone training is so important and the short durations are actually good.  Gradually extend as you can.  

My dogs were completely used to me being out of the house and alone for hours, but now with my new husband home and me working from home every other day, I can see the difference if they are alone for three or four hours.  They have gotten very used to having us home very quickly.  We have already talked about reintroducing long separations gradually...so with a dog who is totally new to being alone..i.e. going from kennel to a home where you are at home all day....the transition may have some little bumps in the road.

Not to worry about it....just to be aware.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.