Ruby has been diagnosed with Sundowner's. We have talked about it for a year or so with the vet, and she said it is what is happening to her. She goes out to potty and just stares and forgets to potty, and this morning she looked at my husband with her leash, and didn't jump up like she ALWAYS has done. It is hard to watch her. She also will not sleep at night, so that means we aren't sleeping either. Our vet is going to get her past records from the vet that passed away, and then prescribe a medication for her to take at night to help her sleep. We have so many in the past for her anxiety, that I am a bit nervous to try anything. Poor girl. I know that she is nearing the end, but I am hoping we can find something to help her rest a bit better.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might help her ? She also has pretty bad arthritis, and is on Ultram at night for that. Ruby is 11 1/2 now, and she has started to not want to walk very far either.

It's just so hard.

Karen

The human drug for Parkinson's disease called Anipryl (selegiline) looks like what is currently being prescribed. A quick Google search returned many possible topics if you want to learn about Canine Cognitive Disfunction treatments.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

The human drug for Parkinson's disease called Anipryl (selegiline) looks like what is currently being prescribed. A quick Google search returned many possible topics if you want to learn about Canine Cognitive Disfunction treatments.

thank you. I will look into this. Our vet is doing some research also and will be calling me tomorrow.

Karen

Check out Senilife.

CEVA Animal Health D59010B Senilife Nutritional Supplement for Elderly Dogs- 30 capsules/ box https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MUBAR5X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SzDgCbASW8DXC

Also, you may be interested in this:

Remember Me?: Loving and Caring for a Dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction https://smile.amazon.com/dp/1943634017/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SyDgCb86GN3YV

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Try leaving a little nightlight for her. And if possible one of you sleeping with her. Andy can't sleep alone at night anymore. We always leave a little light on and one of us sleeps on the sofa in the living room.

I also add gingko to his food. It helps with the blood flow in the brain. And he is on conium, a homeopathic remedy for everything age related. It helps him deal with his insecurities like slippery floors or just the normal frailness. Acupuncture can also help.

Don't get me wrong. It's not about healing but about making life for him a little less scary and difficult.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

Please remember to consider current medications' effects whenever you see behavior changes in Greyhounds.

Greyhounds can be more sensitive to certain medications, and may need a lower dosage than other breeds.

Ultram causes anxiety in many dogs. It's one of Ultram's many side effects.

Since Ruby takes Ultram at night, it makes sense that it could be keeping her (and you) wide awake during the night.

That same medication could be making her more groggy by morning as the dose intensity lessens in Ruby's system

(e.g., her lack of excitedly jumping when seeing her leash in the morning).

Consider asking your vet for a different medication to replace the Ultram.

That action alone may resolve Ruby's sleeping issue, so she won't need an additional medication to sleep.

Another option is changing the time of day Ultram is administered, and possibly reducing the dosage, if approved by your vet.

One of our hounds stands up pacing and panting for hours on Ultram/Tramadol, so her vet put an alert on her chart to avoid that medication in the future.

There are other medications that can be substituted. The same hound is now in her mid teens.

This may not be helpful but here are some human dementia tips you might consider to improve sleeping at night.

In humans we say limit daytime naps, my hound has made napping an Olympic event, but perhaps scheduled activity to enhance their natural nap/activity cycles.

Limit blue light for the last couple of hours before bed. Blue light is emitted by flat screens, iPads, iPhones etc.

Melatonin approximately two hours before bedtime.

Exposure to sunlight during the day or use full spectrum light bulbs.

All of this, in humans, is to reinforce circadian rhythms which are integral in sleep wake cycles.

Finally take care of yourself, Ruby needs you healthy and happy.

Edited by Toffeesdad

https://www.chewy.com/senilife-senior-brain-health/dp/141904?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Senilife&utm_term=&show-search=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA9efgBRAYEiwAUT-jtCDTh0hSbF0xqiQlLAQHMNDdQxe9crz7ylnahMuX21Dt2Cpg5J-WkxoCIf4QAvD_BwE

my vet said that 50% of her patients who have cognitive disfunction have responded to this. it takes around 2 weeks. we thought something was going on with felix at one point. it turned out to be pain/tick borne diseases. worth a try. the pills are GINORMOUS!

Have you considered cdb? My 16 yr and 4 month old whippet is doing much better now that I am giving it to her. Almost no sundowning, eating better, and actually comes to me to get scratched and neck rubs. She comes back to door after peeing, sometimes she walks around but seems more with it. We have to keep prompting her to eat but she eats on her own. Her eyes are more alert to us and she wants to kinda gallop some when in yard. It's not a cure but certinly gave her a more meaningful life.

This looks interesting.......thank you, I will check into it.

Check out Senilife.
CEVA Animal Health D59010B Senilife Nutritional Supplement for Elderly Dogs- 30 capsules/ box https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MUBAR5X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SzDgCbASW8DXC

Also, you may be interested in this:
Remember Me?: Loving and Caring for a Dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction https://smile.amazon.com/dp/1943634017/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_SyDgCb86GN3YV

Karen

Try leaving a little nightlight for her. And if possible one of you sleeping with her. Andy can't sleep alone at night anymore. We always leave a little light on and one of us sleeps on the sofa in the living room.

I also add gingko to his food. It helps with the blood flow in the brain. And he is on conium, a homeopathic remedy for everything age related. It helps him deal with his insecurities like slippery floors or just the normal frailness. Acupuncture can also help.

Don't get me wrong. It's not about healing but about making life for him a little less scary and difficult.

She sleeps in the room with us in her crate like always. We tried just putting a bed down, but she seemed more confused and wouldn't lay down. We do have a light in the attached bathroom. The vet wants us to try Gabapentin along with the Ultram, so I picked that up today. Praying this will help her.

Have you considered cdb? My 16 yr and 4 month old whippet is doing much better now that I am giving it to her. Almost no sundowning, eating better, and actually comes to me to get scratched and neck rubs. She comes back to door after peeing, sometimes she walks around but seems more with it. We have to keep prompting her to eat but she eats on her own. Her eyes are more alert to us and she wants to kinda gallop some when in yard. It's not a cure but certinly gave her a more meaningful life.

I actually have never looked at this. I wouldn't know where to start with it. Do you know of a good place for more information ?

She sleeps about 2 hours longer with the Ultram, and we haven't seen any anxiety while on it. Her sleeping issues started prior to us putting her on it. I will keep it in mind though and mention it to my vet. She has some back end pain, and the vet thought it might help with the pain, therefore helping sleep. Thank you

Please remember to consider current medications' effects whenever you see behavior changes in Greyhounds.

Greyhounds can be more sensitive to certain medications, and may need a lower dosage than other breeds.

Ultram causes anxiety in many dogs. It's one of Ultram's many side effects.

Since Ruby takes Ultram at night, it makes sense that it could be keeping her (and you) wide awake during the night.

That same medication could be making her more groggy by morning as the dose intensity lessens in Ruby's system

(e.g., her lack of excitedly jumping when seeing her leash in the morning).

Consider asking your vet for a different medication to replace the Ultram.

That action alone may resolve Ruby's sleeping issue, so she won't need an additional medication to sleep.

Another option is changing the time of day Ultram is administered, and possibly reducing the dosage, if approved by your vet.

One of our hounds stands up pacing and panting for hours on Ultram/Tramadol, so her vet put an alert on her chart to avoid that medication in the future.

There are other medications that can be substituted. The same hound is now in her mid teens.

Karen

She also will not sleep at night, so that means we aren't sleeping either. Our vet is going to get her past records from the vet that passed away, and then prescribe a medication for her to take at night to help her sleep.

... I am hoping we can find something to help her rest a bit better.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might help her ? She also has pretty bad arthritis, and is on Ultram at night for that.

She sleeps about 2 hours longer with the Ultram, and we haven't seen any anxiety while on it. Her sleeping issues started prior to us putting her on it. I will keep it in mind though and mention it to my vet. She has some back end pain, and the vet thought it might help with the pain, therefore helping sleep. Thank you

Okay, I thought she was having trouble sleeping while on Ultram also. Good luck with Ruby.

So we now have Ruby on Gabapentin and Ultram, which seemed to help the first night, but hasn't helped since. We are all tired and miserable at this point. I have some supplements on their way. Hoping they will help.

Also, someone above mentioned Melatonin, and we have tried that in the past without any result, but I may try it again just because.

Thank you all.

Karen

My 11 1/2 grey has been having anxiety, and behavior changes in the evening. She would go out and not want to come in...looks as though she is "lost." I started her on cbd oil, and it seemed to really help, but all of a sudden it stopped working. Justine was up all night. I took her to the vet. All blood work was fine. She was started on Trazodone 100 mg taken in the evening. It worked like a miracle. Slept soundly with no anxiety. I also started her on Senilife 2 weeks ago with my vets approval. Since being on the Senilife she has gone without the Trazodone for three evenings, however last night she did seem somewhat unsettled. I will probably give her the Trazodone this evening. I want her to be comfortable. I plan to continue the Senilife. Good luck with your girl!

• 2 weeks later...

You might just want to try the Gabapentin alone and see if that makes a difference.

How much gabapentin did the vet prescribe?

Also, when was the last time Ruby had hearing checked?

Good question re: hearing.

Few more thoughts:

While caring for multiple teenage Greyhounds in recent years, I've been staying on a sofa so all our eldest hounds could avoid stairs to bedrooms, etc. Aside from arthritis, another common thread is declining eyesight (similar to people with cataracts). Night vision has been affected first. As typical for elder dogs, walks are shorter and slower. When night vision declines, dogs may look more closely at the ground while in motion and/or may hesitate if remembering or expecting a curb or step. They're a lot more hesitant to walk around at night even in their own yard, and they often point themselves towards a wall or corner instead of a door, etc.

If a hound is unable to ingest enough dog food during day, hound may whine more at night if hungry. If dental issues are a concern, kibble appetite may appear to be reduced (due to gum pain and/or medications that lessen appetite), but if given enough canned dog food (e.g., 5 plus cans daily depending on calories per meal for that hound's most healthy weight), hound may eagerly gobble up soft canned food.

Ruby has now been on Senilife for over 2 weeks, and I will keep her on it until. She has an appt. on the 7th for a quality of life talk.

She is on the Senilife, Gabapentin, Ultram and Melatonin. Nothing has changed.

Her teeth are good according to the vet. I brush her teeth and she had a dental about 10 months ago and lost 3 teeth. Her breath is AWFUL.....but she burps a lot. Oopppsss, she is also on Pepcid per the vet. She has been on it for a while now. She was vomiting clear mucous after meals, so they suggested the Pepcid and the problem stopped.

Thank you all for the help and advice.

Karen