Granulation In Open Wound

Sooo, on Sunday some of the stitches on Nessa's hock popped open again. The open area is now about the size of a silver dollar. The vet can't suture again so we are managing the wound. I have been cleaning it twice a day with a mild cleaning solution and applying a powder containing anti biotics and an astringent. I am using a baby diaper to cover the wound and securing that with vet tape.

The vet wants to give it a few days before I bring her in again. When I remove the bandage I am seeing less blood but still a fair amount of weeping. I am hoping that less bleeding means that the tissue is starting to form over the area. I am hoping that someone with experience in this type of wound management can confirm this is the natural progression.

Meanwhile Nessa seems to be doing well. She eats well as long as I add some mix ins and she wants her treats and her walk. Last night she climbed on my lap for the first time since we did the initial surgery.

I've always used colloidal silver to keep it infection free, but don't clean too often as you need some good bacteria to do their thing. If you are keeping it covered, chances are it's not getting too much dirt exposure. I'm not sure about the granules (hard to tell without seeing) but it sounds like you are getting on the right track with reduced blood stains. Sorry this has been so challenging! A good appetite is a great thing.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Yes, sounds normal, and I highly recommend DermaGel (red tube). Has antibacterial properties and promotes wound healing. If she doesn't have an infection there, cold laser could also help.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Greyhounds are excellent healers but be careful of over cleaning as it can slow down the production of new cells.

When Grace had her foot operation and there was an open wound at the top of her toes, the vet recommended a gentle daily wash down with saline solution and left open to the air as much as possible. It took a couple of weeks to stop weeping and a few more to fill in but it's now good as new.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. How do you apply the anti biotics/honey? I am thinking apply it to a gauze pad and place over wound with a gauze wrap holding it in place?

Maunuka honey is apparently where it's at tho I have not used it on wounds. Have heard lots of good things. Search on here, otherwise google might be your best friend. Presumably just squeeze it on - might get messy!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. How do you apply the anti biotics/honey? I am thinking apply it to a gauze pad and place over wound with a gauze wrap holding it in place?

I would use Telfa pas vs. gauze, as they don't stick.

Like Rickiesmom said, telfa pad to cover, not gauze pad. To hold telfa pad in place if needed, gauze wrap or vet wrap is fine. We normally did not cover but it might be needed for your pup Edited by LuvEarsies

Bernadette with Jak, Horizon, Kota, Barnaby, Madison, Earl, Tiggy, Finney, Tommy, Woody, Tyler and Lincoln all at the bridge

no saline solution? my dad had ulcers for years and used that for cleaning. he passed the knowledge on and i found it worked wonders on wounds on the dogs. you want the wound to heal from the inside out, that's why many use regular gauze pads. it removes the top layer and lets it heal slowly inside first. do check w/ your vet first before doing anything new or different.