Gabapentin Moved To Class 5 Drug In Kentucky

FYI -- I was surprised to see that Gabapentin has been classified as a class 5 drug in Kentucky meaning that prescriptions are being monitored. There is some question whether this change of classification will spread to other states. I know some people have their greyhounds on this for pain, seizures, anxiety and these are just a few things it has been used for.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/americas-heroin-epidemic/health-officials-are-sounding-alarm-drug-gabapentin-it-s-not-n861111

Well crap. I hope they don’t do that here.

I did another search and found that Mass is moving gabapentin to Class 5 - 1st phase was 8/1/2017 and 2nd phase is 8/1/2018 - so people in Mass might be having more issues with refills after August this year.

http://exclusive.multibriefs.com/content/states-starting-to-respond-to-gabapentin-abuse/pharmaceutical

Edited by MaryJane

It's also being monitored by the Massachusetts Prescription Monitoring program. While not physically addictive definitely it's used to potentiate other drug highs.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Interesting. I am on it for Neurothapy. Will ask doctor when I go on Wednesday - I'm already on two controlled substances- whats one more?

As far as dogs I think I'd just get it from the vet as Wal-Mart/Sam's here no longer fills ANY pet scripts due to the "Opioid Crisis". Don't know about Walgreens and CVS but last time I checked they weren't much cheaper than the vet.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I am getting Conner's from Costco, $7 for 90 100mg capsules. Hopefully, even if it becomes controlled they will still fill it, but it will probably go up. The 300 mg capsules I got for my shingles were a lot more expensive ($30, $40? don't recall for sure) but it was a one time deal.

I am getting Conner's from Costco, $7 for 90 100mg capsules. Hopefully, even if it becomes controlled they will still fill it, but it will probably go up. The 300 mg capsules I got for my shingles were a lot more expensive ($30, $40? don't recall for sure) but it was a one time deal.

wow, I need to check Costco. I just paid $49.00 for 180 for Larry -- he gets it 3 x day. If they reclassify....geesh.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

That is an excellent price.

My three are all on different dosages/schedules, really hoping this doesnt become an issue here.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

wow, I need to check Costco. I just paid $49.00 for 180 for Larry -- he gets it 3 x day. If they reclassify....geesh.

That's nuts. Gabapebtin is really cheap. I pay around $10 for 180 100 mg capsules for Violet.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Yeah, there was a report on the national news shows a few weeks ago in conjunction with the opioid crisis. People are using gabapentin along with other drugs, and since gaba is cheap and easily found, it's going on the controlled lists in most states. I bet the price skyrockets too. :( Also in this report was the fact that people are getting opioid rxs for their pets but using them themselves. :yikes

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Also in this report was the fact that people are getting opioid rxs for their pets but using them themselves. :yikes

That's why my vet said Wal Mart won't fill them anymore.

Oddly enough my vet wanted to sell me Tramadol for a huge price for Barkley and I told him that I had 120 or so for me here and he could take them. Thought I'd have to split them but oddly the dose for a 150# human and a 25# dog are the same. Then there is the old story of the doctor saying "are you taking any drugs not prescribed to you?" I said "yes - the dogs Gabapentin". He laughed and said "you can have your own".

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

That's why my vet said Wal Mart won't fill them anymore.

Oddly enough my vet wanted to sell me Tramadol for a huge price for Barkley and I told him that I had 120 or so for me here and he could take them. Thought I'd have to split them but oddly the dose for a 150# human and a 25# dog are the same.

When Allie (35 lb dog) was on Benedryl for allergies, she took two pills twice a day. While she was on that dosage my husband (slightly heavier than 170 lbs) started getting a cold and went for the Benedryl...he automatically took two and spent the rest of the day completely messed up because he should have only had one. The vet said something about how dogs' livers processed certain drugs differently, so that's why the much higer dosage by body weight.

Oh, good grief. Please don't let that happen in Georgia. It wasn't the case a month ago at my last visit.

It's also being monitored by the Massachusetts Prescription Monitoring program. While not physically addictive definitely it's used to potentiate other drug highs.

Wonder which drugs. Gabapentin seems to effect opiod receptors in a way that reduces the opiods pain relieving qualities. Not sure if it actually binds to the receptors or it's some other method. Guess I just assumed that would also reduce the chances of getting high, not the opposite. Come to think of it, I don't even know the neurological cause of a "high". Seems it could be different with different chemicals.