Morning Cough - Likely Kennel Cough

Hi all, my lurcher (7/8 greyhound) has always been a bit of an occasional cougher since we got him a year ago - he is approx 5 years old. He has started to cough at night when he moves around and more in the morning and sometimes in the day. Vet treated with antibiotics assuming kennel cough which it could well be. But despite not getting worse it isn't any better at all after 2 weeks. He is not ill at all.

Back to the vets next week but was wondering about others experience of this ? My old greyhound girl at 12 has not come down with anything which is a relief but makes me wonder if it is something else as it is usually so easy to spread.

They had a quick listern to his heart and all seemed fine there.

I expect it is kennel cough and just taking a whiie to shift.

Doesn't particularly sound like kennel cough to me. I might investigate a heart issue further just to be safe.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

my beagle/basset mix had kennel cough when i first adopted him. it was 3 weeks of PURE HELL!!!!! Constant coughing, nonstop.... ugly, white foam puddles everywhere... really horrible to live thru...

unless your lurcher is experiencing CONSTANT coughing, it is not kennel cough... google kennel cough videos and you will see what i'm referring to... i don't wish that on my worst enemy... it is truly heartbreaking to watch and not be able to do anything to help...

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.

can it be post nasal drip? an easy old fashioned remedy is a good size dose of lemon juice- use a baby med dropper in the side of his mouth, mouth closed when you insert it and rub the throat. it cuts right thru all of the mucous. this can be given 2xs a day but it should clear up the phlegm instantly. a lot of short nosed breeds have that problem and my old fashioned vet told me about it. the mucous just comes out the other end.

but do check for heart/lung worms. canine flu is going around but he would be really sick with it, the same w/ kennel cough. and the later is viral, generally robitussin is given for k.c. and at this stage of the game it would have worked it's way up to pneumonia.

Been back to the vets. Due in for a bronchoalveolar lavage and chest x-ray tomorrow. Could be any of a number of things as he still has a raised temperature. Also slightly raised Eosinophils could mean allergic or parasite based. All his other bloods came back clear. Treated for lungworms as a precaution today as he is due that and all his vaccs when he is able. Heart and lungs sound good and no tracheal irritation cough. Not wanting to consider the other options at this stage.

remember many dogs have elevated tempt. if nervous. do take it at home and see if it's the same, digital thermometers are the best!

have you considered another vet's opinion? this sorta reminds me of my very first dog. the vet i brought him to said, "oh, he has an inverted eye lid that needs surgery." i spoke to the breeder and went to her vet. it was due to the chalk used in grooming, a slight irritation that was gone by the time i saw the second vet.

Edited by cleptogrey

I'd seriously consider a new vet. These symptoms are really not like kennel cough and that your vet just leapt to that conclusion AND put the dog on antibiotics with no clear reason to would concern me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'd seriously consider a new vet. These symptoms are really not like kennel cough and that your vet just leapt to that conclusion AND put the dog on antibiotics with no clear reason to would concern me.

Ditto. Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while but I don't want a vet working(practicing) on my dog whose protocol is hoping he meanders upon an appropriate diagnosis. It is true though that if you throw enough stuff at the wall something may stick if the patient lives long enough.

Edited by racindog

• 3 months later...
Guest Moreyello

My little IG does have the same symptoms. Usually when she wakes up or stretches. She coughs like a smoker and then gags as shes about to vomit but nothing comes out. Been several times to the vet but nothing that has rectified the problem. Wondering if you go a diagnosis that has helped your dog?

Guest Moreyello

Hi everyone I'm happy to say that my greyhound doesn't cough any longer. After almost 8months of trying to figure out what it was. We had a chest XRAY

done, and they had ruled out heart promblems but left it at two possible scenarios. One a collapsed trachea and the second a chronic bronchial infection.

The XRAY wasn't really indicating a collapsed trachea but the doctor didn't rule it out. He recommended we put her on prednisone for a week to see if it was

a bronchial infection and I'm happy to say that it resolved the problem.