Senior Grey Losing Weight, Vet Appointment Questions

Hello,

Our grey Pixie is almost 12.5 years old (will be 13 October 15th). Shes always been on the small side, but it appears she is losing more weight that she should. I noticed that one or two of her bottom ribs seemed more pronounced and just thought she is losing a little weight because shes 12 now.

At the end of January she and one of our other dogs got into a squabble while out on a potty break which Necessitated a middle of the night trip to the ER for Pixie. The vet there wanted to send her home with meds and asked if she could check her bloodwork before prescribing. I mentioned that I was going to make an appointment with her regular vet regarding her weight loss for exam and bloodwork and said just do the whole work up now. Bloodwork came back perfect. The vet mentioned that she could just be losing a little because of age, and to talk to our vet and she may switch up her food, like put her on a higher calorie puppy food.

Shes always had a good appetite, but she a persnickety eater with silly quirks. Like she will eat fine for a bit, then she goes on where we have to let one of the other dogs in to stalk her (they like to lick her bowl when shes done) and only then will she start to eat. Ive been getting a little puppy food in her, sometimes her regular kibble mixed, sometimes white meat chicken. Now tonight she just woofed down three big decorated Easter doggy cookies from a local pet boutique.

When I talked to her regular vet, I asked could she have an overactive thyroid or something? (I thought that was included in the bloodwork at the ER, but it wasnt.). We were to try the puppy food for a bit and see if that makes a difference and then make an appointment. I called last week and we have an appointment this Wednesday afternoon to discuss what could be going on.

Another thing I noticed is that her (voice) bark has changed, not as deep I guess, maybe even a little hoarse? She really doesnt act sick, but I just notice a change. Are there anything in particular that I should be asking the vet about, maybe something thats common in greyhounds that would cause them to lose weight? Any and all suggestions are greytly appreciated!

Thanks for listening,

Kim & Pixie

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Older dogs can lose weight eating the same diet they've always eaten. I think sometimes they don't absorb nutrients as well from the same amount of food. Also, sometimes an older dog doesn't want to remain standing long enough to eat a large-ish meal. It might help if you increase how much she eats in a day, but break it into smaller meals fed more often.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Shes always had a good appetite, but she a persnickety eater with silly quirks. Like she will eat fine for a bit, then she goes on where we have to let one of the other dogs in to stalk her (they like to lick her bowl when shes done) and only then will she start to eat. Ive been getting a little puppy food in her, sometimes her regular kibble mixed, sometimes white meat chicken. Now tonight she just woofed down three big decorated Easter doggy cookies from a local pet boutique.

If her bloodwork is greyhound-normal and all else is well, Pixie sounds like to me like a hound who is aging fairly typically for some seniors. Their sense of smell can diminish, making it a challenge to convince them that eating is a good thing. You will become quite the short order cook, trying this and that to tempt Pixie to eat. What she ate today she may refuse for the next two days while demanding something else. If you have another dog(s), they are great for cleaning up the leftovers. Often a senior will decline breakfast but make it up later and I agree that smaller, more frequent meals can be very helpful. As to the change in her bark you might ask your vet about greyhound laryngeal paralysis. There are several threads here in H&M you can search for more info about that. Best of luck and please come back and let us know how Pixie's appointment goes tomorrow. :goodluck

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

If her bloodwork is greyhound-normal and all else is well, Pixie sounds like to me like a hound who is aging fairly typically for some seniors.

Often a senior will decline breakfast but make it up later and I agree that smaller, more frequent meals can be very helpful.

Concur 100% There are lots of things that you can offer that could encourage eating, but at 12.5 you should be a very very proud momma!

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Older dogs can lose weight eating the same diet they've always eaten. I think sometimes they don't absorb nutrients as well from the same amount of food. Also, sometimes an older dog doesn't want to remain standing long enough to eat a large-ish meal. It might help if you increase how much she eats in a day, but break it into smaller meals fed more often.

Your post gave me comfort, kind of describes Pixie to a T! We put her food on a small raised stool in our bedroom and she will stand to eat a bit, but then goes back to lay on her bed. I can usually get her to finish, will put her food bowl on a pad and she will eat while on the bed. Sometimes she will eat out of my hand. Sometimes (usually breakfast) she doesn’t get up to eat at all, but will lay there and let out barks. I will let one of the dogs in and she hops up like a fireman and runs over to her stool and eats. She’s a pistol, the only dog I know who turns her nose up at cheese!

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

How much weight has Pixie lost?

I’m not sure, at first just noticed a couple ribs were more pronounced. This has just been in the last couple of weeks, but she feels bonier, even the top of her head when I pet her. Tomorrow before the vet, I am going to have my husband get on the scale and then get back on the scale while holding Pixie. I want to compare our scale to the vets so I can keep better track of her weight when she gets home (hope I can get some weight back on her). I don’t want to know until tomorrow how much she weighs, I am really stressing about the visit. I am a worrier normally, just always think the worse.

If her bloodwork is greyhound-normal and all else is well, Pixie sounds like to me like a hound who is aging fairly typically for some seniors. Their sense of smell can diminish, making it a challenge to convince them that eating is a good thing. You will become quite the short order cook, trying this and that to tempt Pixie to eat. What she ate today she may refuse for the next two days while demanding something else. If you have another dog(s), they are great for cleaning up the leftovers. Often a senior will decline breakfast but make it up later and I agree that smaller, more frequent meals can be very helpful. As to the change in her bark you might ask your vet about greyhound laryngeal paralysis. There are several threads here in H&M you can search for more info about that. Best of luck and please come back and let us know how Pixie's appointment goes tomorrow. :goodluck

I am hoping you’re right about just normal typical senior behavior! I think you’re right about the sense of smell, just offered her little piece of regular chicken and she smelled and went on her merry way. Then put three chicken treats on her bed and she ate them. Breakfast seems to be the meal she’s always had issues with! Now it’s getting to be both meals, but have been successful so far getting her to eat her dinner (it’s exhausting though!). Today and yesterday I noticed she gags like she going to throw up, but nothing comes out... possibly just sick to her stomach because she’s hungry?? I feel the same way if I don’t eat. I hope the appointment goes well and it’s just her tastebuds and not something more serious. Right now I’m headed to the grocery store to pick up things to tempt her with. She has always liked the cans of white meat chicken so will get those, a couple of her favorite treats and whatever looks good that I think she would like. I will post back tomorrow after the vet, thanks!

Concur 100% There are lots of things that you can offer that could encourage eating, but at 12.5 you should be a very very proud momma!

Thank you so much, she has always been picky, does not like cheese! I’m going to see if there’s any threads with ideas of what to feed / cook for picky senior greys so they keep up their strength and pick up a few pounds.

Thank you so much, she has always been picky, does not like cheese! I’m going to see if there’s any threads with ideas of what to feed / cook for picky senior greys so they keep up their strength and pick up a few pounds.

Lots. In fact, search "Seamie's List" - prepared by Fire Rooooooers. :)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I had a senior boy (Sam) who refused kibble for a few months. (His teeth were fine; he still munched his Milk Bones.) If I mixed kibble into special meals, he'd lick the kibble clean trying to get all the special stuff. I wanted to keep him on kibble so I could be sure he was getting a balanced diet.

I started grinding 3 cups of kibble in the food processor every morning. (Ground kibble looks like Grape Nuts cereal,) Then I added a scoop of the ground kibble to whatever the breakfast treat was: tuna, oatmeal, rice, pasta--whatever he wanted. Vanilla Ensure was good, too. I did that for every meal (he was on meds he had to take after food 4 times a day), and finished up the ground kibble on meal 4 at bedtime. Sometimes I warmed the food; warmed food is smellier. But he wound up eating his normal 3 cups of kibble a day, and picked up extra calories from the special add-ins.

But I had to watch his housemate. Silver "helped" by finishing off anything the boy left, and she got a little pudgy.

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

As someone mentioned, laryngeal paralysis (LP) could cause a change in barking. Since it affects the throat muscles, I suppose there could be a change in the way that food is swallowed so that could explain why she might not want to eat.

If she is otherwise healthy, you can add more calories to the food - maybe give toast with some butter, or see if she will lick up peanut butter on a plate. Also, full fat yogurt with applesauce is a treat that my dogs and fosters all loved. You can also add potatoes (white, sweet, yams) and see if that can put a bit of weight on.

I had a senior boy (Sam) who refused kibble for a few months. (His teeth were fine; he still munched his Milk Bones.) If I mixed kibble into special meals, he'd lick the kibble clean trying to get all the special stuff. I wanted to keep him on kibble so I could be sure he was getting a balanced diet.

I started grinding 3 cups of kibble in the food processor every morning. (Ground kibble looks like Grape Nuts cereal,) Then I added a scoop of the ground kibble to whatever the breakfast treat was: tuna, oatmeal, rice, pasta--whatever he wanted. Vanilla Ensure was good, too. I did that for every meal (he was on meds he had to take after food 4 times a day), and finished up the ground kibble on meal 4 at bedtime. Sometimes I warmed the food; warmed food is smellier. But he wound up eating his normal 3 cups of kibble a day, and picked up extra calories from the special add-ins.

But I had to watch his housemate. Silver "helped" by finishing off anything the boy left, and she got a little pudgy.

Yes! This is another wonderful trick to getting food into the pickies, including warming any of the items being offered.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I just wanted to thank everyone for all your help and advice, I wish I had better news.

Our vet got down on the floor and was examining Pixie and saying heart sounds good, she wasn’t saying anything that alarmed me. I was telling her about my posting on GT, about what meals I had been giving her, about her bark changing. I had brought in a stool sample and also told her Pixie felt warm to me that morning, so check if she has a fever. She asks if she can do an x-ray and they went down the hall.

She said there was a football size mass on the x-ray and I think my mind went blank at that moment. Usually I am prepared for anything bad, but I truly wasn’t prepared for this. I kept asking what, what, because I think my hearing went. She showed me the films and said she couldn’t see Pixie’s intestines from the mass. She said we have to make some decisions. She mentioned it probably is hemangiosarcoma, something about spleen, I ask if she could take out the spleen. She said yes, but then gave me a lot of info why I don’t want to put Pixie through that. She called my husband to come and then left me and Pixie alone. I called my husband back and asked that he bring Pixie two plain hamburgers. There’s a Hardee’s directly across the street from the vet. Pixie woofed down both and seemed to really enjoy them (they made a mistake and put catsup, mustard and pickles on) and even thought I removed what I could, it just smelled better. I said she really enjoyed them, I am going to go across the street and get two more. My husband he would, if I got up, Pixie would get up and walk around. (I was laying on her bed with her.). The Hardee’s lady said to my husband, “Weren’t you just in here?” He said yes, we have a sick dog. This time he just ordered two hamburgers and she gave him plain?? Anyway, Pixie still loved them.

We had just been through hemangiosarcoma in 2014 and 2015 with our July, did chemo and she got 4 good months with no episodes. The day of her “after chemo” one month checkup, she got a good report. We hadn’t even made it home when she exhibited the same signs that something wasn’t right. Got her home, called her oncologist and headed right back. I told her doctor it was like a cruel joke, we were all happy about the good news and we didn’t even make it home. They drained the fluid and she recovered, we hoped to get another good 4 months, but it wasn’t even a full week and we let her go on a Sunday night.

We also had two dogs that had suspected hemangiosarcoma, but with spleen removal they were fine. We talked about removing the spleen, I would want Pixie on Amicar before any surgery. Pixie has never had to spend a night away from us since we got her in 2007. When we adopted her she was advertised as a “special needs” because of her extreme shyness. I always worried when we took her to any vet because she would tremble so bad, I was afraid she’d have a stroke or heart attack.

With Pixie’s weight loss, she had gone down 7 pounds from 55 to 48, her age, her skittishness and nervousness around strangers, her never being away from home alone over night, we made the painful decision to let her go. We were able to stay with her until we were ready and told her about her adoption, our travels together, how much love and sunshine she brought to our family. I held her as she left us, told her how much we loved her and told her to look for our other greys Callie and Ava, Grandma and July, and wait for me. I am still stunned, can’t believe she’s gone. I never even gave it a thought that she wouldn’t be coming home with us, just thought we’d get some info on new foods, etc... When I left, I had such a headache and just sat in my car and sobbed.

Last night is a blur, I still haven’t called my friends to tell them, I don’t want to talk about it. I still can’t believe it. I’m now second guessing myself, maybe the mass was a hematoma when her and one of our other dogs got into a squabble in the yard in late January?!

Since we got our first grey Callie in April 2001, we’ve always had at least one grey in our home. Even with two other dogs and two cats, our house seems so quiet and empty. Our other dogs seemed ok yesterday, today they seem somber and sad.

Thank you again for all your care and kindness.

Kim

I'm sorry you didn't get better news.

I lost my girl Silver to hemangiosarcoma in October 2016. She had a growth on her side, but needle biopsies didn't show anything alarming. We decided to remove the lump because it was causing discomfort, and we did the normal pre-op lab tests. The numbers that came back were alarming, so we did an ultrasound. They found a massive growth near her heart--something that didn't show at all on x-rays taken 3 weeks earlier. The vet thought the growth could rupture at any time, probably within the next couple of days. So, like you, I shared a couple of hamburgers--McDonald's cheese burgers--with Silver and said good-bye.

Please don't second-guess yourself. A hematoma that lasted two months? I think an injury that severe would have been bad enough at the beginning to have drawn concern then. And vets have all too much experience recognizing hemangiosarcoma for real--even apart from their unwillingness to jump to bad news every time they spot a growth--so if that's what Pixie's vet saw, it seems far more likely.

I am so very sorry for your loss. We lost two to suspected hemangiosarcoma of the spleen/and or liver. Both passed on the same day that they displayed symptoms. One was 11-1/2, the other just 7 years old. I hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry. I also lost one to hemangiosarcoma. Please don't second guess yourself. You did everything possible, and your last memories of Pixie are good ones, she wasn't in crisis she was eating burgers!, and you were able to help her cross as you held her. I am so terribly sorry for your sudden loss. :grouphug

I am so sorry for your unexpected loss. I suspect you are still in shock, and when you have had time to think, you will realize you did what was best for Pixie. She left you when she was still in a (relatively) good place, no crisis of pain and fear. :bighug

:( I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, good girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.