Gi Issues And Hemorrhagic Diarrhea

Guest telithal

Guest telithal

My guy, Rusty has had a rough 3 weeks. He's been in the ER twice for hemorrhagic diarrhea, the second time for two days. We requested testing and his B12 and folate levels are both extremely low (I think the B12 is around 148). Currently he's on flagyl and probiotics to manage it along with Hills i/d prescription food.

The plan is to move forward with both B12 and folate supplements and to have I'm on a novel protein diet. As I've been reading over the posts, I noticed that some greys end up on a maintenance dose of the flagyl as well as probiotics.

Honestly all of this has me completely freaked out, and I know my stress is not helping him. So if you wouldn't mind sending some good vibes and maybe some advice our way that would be awesome.

Diarrhea of any kind can throw their systems off a lot, so you may want to re-do labs once he's back on track to see what his levels are.

Lots of smaller meals will be easier on his system than larger ones. Did your vet suggest fasting him for a time before beginning the ID food?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest telithal

No they didn't, though he fasted himself for the first 24 hours at the ER this last time.

I believe part of the plan is to recheck all of his levels in 6 weeks after he's been in the novel protein diet for a while.

sending many prayers. :hope

we've been battling eating/vomiting issues with Zeke since April -- he has been getting a weekly B12 injection (we do it ourselves) and also a B12 chew pill daily (Cobalequin) and while he's had some setbacks (just recently) I really think the B12 shot/pills have made all the difference.

hopefully Rusty is feeling better! :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Lucy got IBD from one of her seizure meds a few years ago and we have been able to control it with her getting probiotics occasionally, monthly B12 shots (although that started as weekly) and a home-made diet with fish as the novel protein. It has worked great for her. Her internist and I decided not to use flagyl because she was already on 3 to 4 other meds for her seizures. She also gets oatmeal and veggies to give her fiber which is very helpful in GI problems.

Guest telithal

Rusty is 3. So far the i/d, flagyl, and probiotic have done great settling things down. Yesterday we started the B12 shots and the folic acid. He's also on Prozac because of extreme anxiety.

On Monday we will begin transitioning to d/d as his novel protein diet. <sigh> Hopefully that goes well as we are supposed to have him on it for a six week trial.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest telithal

Rusty is in the ER again, it's not the diarrhea issue though. His whole body seems to be shutting down. He went for an ultrasound on his abdomen to get a look at his intestines yesterday (everything looks normal and is fine) and when my husband went to get him he was limping and in pain. The vet couldn't figure it out so they sent him home with a shot of Valium, gabapentin, and a prescription of th gaba. By 6 pm he could no longer move on his own, I thought he'd been overdosed at the vet. We skyped our vet at her home and made the decision to go to the ER. They ran some tests and his platelets were low and his white blood cells and erythrocytes were elevated. He also needed iv glucose as his sugar was dangerously low.

We just got back from seeing him and he looks horrendous - his legs and feet are swollen and he can barely hobble about for a few minutes before he needs to lie down. The worst part is they don't seem to know what is causing it. Their in house tick panel came back negative, but we all know how insidious those diseases are. They're treating him with doxy, fluid, and hope at this point.

Goodness! Poor guy. Hoping for the best. :clover

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

I'm so sorry. Hope they can figure out what's going on and get him treated. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest telithal

Nothing new on the diagnosis front.

We are taking him to Tufts this evening in hopes that they are able to find some information that the local vet ER is missing.

Thank you for all of your thoughts guys.

What a time you've had. Hoping the folks at Tufts can help your dear pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thinking of you and hoping your pup is at least holding his own.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest telithal

Alright Rusty is home!!!

Diagnoses: Anaplasmosis, an ulcer, fryable intestines, possible leptospirosis or other like disease.

Medicines: Doxycycline, Amicar, Cerenia, Gabapentin, Omeprazole, Prozac, Folic Acid, and B12.

It will be a long road to recovery I know, but at least we've started. He's been such a good trooper through this whole ordeal.

Wow, that's quite a list. At least you have some idea of what's going on and a treatment plan. I hope you see quick improvement!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Home! Hope that is exactly where he stays, and hope you continue to see improvement. :) :) :)

• 4 months later...
Guest retdmd

Poor buddy! Do you have an update? I'm headed down my own mystery diagnosis path with my retired grey. Low B12, low Folate, low normal TLI, bright orange poop, negative for viruses/bacteria/protozoa.

I'll repeat myself as OP is new. Went through all this with Rex. We fecaled and tested him within an inch of his life and was told he'd be on Flagyl for life. Tried every high end food back then to no avail. I got so mad on day I tossed a green bag of Iams in the cart. Fixed him up in two days and he never had bloody runs again. Of course YMMV.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg