Happy Gotcha Day At The Bridge, Colin

smurfette

Ten years ago on this day I adopted my very first own greyhound. I'd like to share the story as I never wrote a real tribute to this wonderful dog.

30905696im.jpg

In 2007 I decided I wanted my own dog. But it had to be a nice and gentle dog that could accompany me to my work in a group home. It was the time sighthound rescues from other European countries became more and more active in Germany.

My mother told me to look for a greyhound. She is a trainer - but has standard poodles in search and rescue.

So I searched the net and found this small rescue group. We talked on the phone and I drove 4 hours one way just to look at the greyhounds. All of them were nice and friendly and I was addicted. But the coordinator told me that they did not have a grey for me. I was so disappointed.

30905801dx.jpg

Three weeks later I got a call. They had the perfect fit if I was still interested? Of course I was.

The next week-end I drove again nearly through the whole country to fetch a dog I had never seen.

And Iwas so prepared. I has read every piece of paper and every articles in the net about greyhounds. I knew everything there is to know....

30905727yp.jpg

...and Colin was he one greyhound that doesn't exist. He was not keen on hunting and could walk off lead after 3 weeks. He was soft and friendly and always wanted to cuddle.... and he was a master manipulator. Colin used to block my way when he didn't want me to walk to a room - but he was so sweet and leaning about it. I needed years to understand his tactic.

He loved to bark and was a fierce protector of his mom and his home. He thrieved when I brought him minions (Andy and Paddy). Colin was until his last day the unquestioned leader of my pack of 3.

He liked me but his love belonged to his dad whom he chose after I broke up with my ex. Hubby was a friend but through his love for Colin we spent more time together and fell in love.

30905763pn.jpg

Today is not a day to grief but to celebrate a life lived to the fullest. Today would have marked 10 years together. Colin left for the bridge last month.

Godspeed my friend. You will never be forgotten.

This is the last picture of us.

Thank you for reading this lengthy piece of word.

30905788sm.jpg

Edited by smurfette

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

This is a beautiful testament of love. Thank you for sharing Colin's story with us. :grouphug Happy Gotcha Day at the Bridge, sweet boy.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

What a wonderful love you had :wub: .

Rest well, handsome.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

what a beautiful story, and a beautiful boy :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway