Here Is An Odd-Ball Behavior ...

Living in the woods here in Florida, we get cockroaches in the house. I spray them with Raid. But Milo gets alarmed, and even barks at the sound of the spraying. And these are just short blasts of bug spray, half-way across the house from him.

So the smell is not causing this strange behavior, just the sound, as far as I can tell.

Not a big deal overall, just very bizarre.

Any thoughts on something happening in his previous life as a track dog, that would trigger him?

TNX

Dave

I would be careful with Raid. It's poison. It probably smells awful, too, even from halfway around the house.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

The sharp, sudden sound that we hear may not be the only noise that happens, and even I jump when someone uses an aerosol can and I am unprepared. Maybe there is a higher pitched noise that he can hear, or maybe he just doesn't like the suddenness of it. Does he have the same reaction when a different aerosol can is used (cooking spray, for example)? You may never be able to make him like the sound, but perhaps he will learn to be calmer about it if he learns it is harmless. (Though there are many hounds that don't learn that sounds are harmless - there are those that are thunderphobic to the point of trembling with the sound of rain. I've got one.)

Yeah, I was thinking cat hissing too!

Diatomaceous earth is a safer option. Are they true roaches or my namesake? :D

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

"Are they true roaches or my namesake?" Heck, I don't know anymore - just big, fat and ugly. Not many creatures bother me, but these do!

"Maybe there is a higher pitched noise that he can hear," I like that train of thought, Fruity. I will break out the cooking spray soon, and give it a test.

One of mine is afraid of the squirty whip cream can because of the noise. It doesn't seem to matter that whip cream comes out along with it! :lol

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If they fly into your hair, they are "palmetto bugs" :lol: . I find they like to come inside when it's either really dry or really damp outside. My cats torture them to death, then leave me to clean up.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

Noise aversion probably has nothing to do with track life. Danny hates spray bottles. I know his breeders and trainers. He has been afraid of them all his life.

As for bugs in Florida, good luck with that. :lol Make sure your screens are good, including screen doors. Try to limit the length of time doors are opened, especially at night.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Please try to stop imagining all sorts of things that MIGHT have happened to him.

Dogs are quirkly. Greyhounds are extra quirky. Just because he reacts to something NOW doesn't mean it has anything to do with THEN. Case in point: I had a dog who was found after being thrown from a moving car. You'd think he'd be afraid of cars, or open windows. Nope. He was afraid of the ironing board, Hassidic Jews, and the ROTC.

Like I said: dogs are quirky.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yep, my Lab was afraid of bicycles, walkers, wheelchairs, and old people that shuffled. But she would go straight up to the noisiest tractor-trailer for a good sniff. Go figure...

• 2 weeks later...

You could try a mixture of boric acid and sugar in small containers (think bottle tops for soft drinks) inside your cabinets. Kept the roaches away when I lived in New Orleans - no sprays and cheap. Boric acid can be poisonous to people and I would assume dogs as well, so make sure to keep it out of the dogs reach.

Yeah, I was thinking cat hissing too!

Diatomaceous earth is a safer option. Are they true roaches or my namesake? :D

We had major issues with crickets in an older house (those terrifying, super jumper camel crickets that look like spiders), and because of Marv, we opted to try DE around the inside and outside perimeters. Dogs can eat it, and it's totally fine (food-grade DE only), though Marvin never even tried. If you have to spray, I'd recommend a perimeter exterior to the house, and just use the sticky papers inside. It can take quite a while to make sure that you've sealed the perimeter of your house to keep them out permanently.