Senior With Increasing Gray Tufts Of Fur

Max just turned 13. Last month or so, he has been getting an increasing amount of gray fur tufts, starting on the rear end and now also coming forward along his sides. It looks like undercoat fur to me, and he has always had a significant undercoat. It is not simply the silver graying of the hair (not a huge problem for him so far), it is tufts (i.e. small clumps) of undercoat sticking out from what I can tell. My first thought was that he is unable to groom properly due to a bad back, but honestly I don't recall him spending time grooming before. May be seasonal shedding, but don't recall anything to this extent in the past and I don't recall that producing tufts.

The only thing I have done for it so far is I take him outside and use a fur comb to remove it, ends up producing gray clouds of hair (hence doing it outside). Max seems to like it, and it does help a lot for a few days, but then it comes back. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I hate seeing him look all scruffy, especially being a black dog!

Anyone have this with their seniors? Wondering if a diet aid, maybe olive oil or something like that, would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Guest goofydog2

No help, however I'll be watching the thread since Morrie is experiencing the same thing. He is also black and will be 8 next week. In the past month or so I've furminated 2 or 3 Pomeranians off of him.

Rocket's coat does the same thing with little white tufts that you can just pull out in tiny clumps. The furminator takes care of them. Don't think it's anything to worry about, as we saw something similar happen on him a few years ago when we lived in IL. I'm guessing that hot weather might be speeding up the shedding process, but that's just a guess.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Sounds like just regular seasonal shedding. Lila's going through her annual molt and has the tufts too. I take her outside for plucking and de-furring daily. :D

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I agree with Jerilyn--sounds like normal shedding.

A "hound glove" or similar tool for short haired dogs, a few minute every day, and he will no doubt like it, and look good as new soon-ish (just in time for winter!).

All other things being equal, in a dog that age, be happy if he is eating well, maintaining weight, etc.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I agree with Jerilyn--sounds like normal shedding.

A "hound glove" or similar tool for short haired dogs, a few minute every day, and he will no doubt like it, and look good as new soon-ish (just in time for winter!).

All other things being equal, in a dog that age, be happy if he is eating well, maintaining weight, etc.

Agreed, at his age having a scruffy coat as his biggest problem (well, along with some back leg weakness) he is doing well. Be interesting to see if the coat gets better in a few weeks.

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Seasonal shedding. We had some of those this year -- first time ever. Weird weather.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest chickenpotpie

Yep, shedding. I'm seeing an increase and I think its because its been hotter than normal here. I also wonder why she's not bald considering how much she sheds.. its a mystery. At the moment I furmigate once a week followed by the love glove. When she really gets going its every other day. Wish she would allow me to vac her more often (I vacc'ed her once. She was kinda ok with it though I get the feeling she still thinks the vac is evil :hehe )

At the moment I furmigate once a week followed by the love glove. When she really gets going its every other day.

You use the exact same terminology I do. :) Ry is tolerant of the vacuum but I find it still doesn't grab the little itty bitty under fur.

But I thought about the "grey spot" mentioned by OP. Ry developed some funny spot on his side that's a few hairs of grey, and it stands out really starkly, but there is no bump. Funny that it's a little piece too. I think that one area just lost the coloring.....I wouldn't worry too much.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Sounds like he's blowing his coat. If he's otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry. A Zoom Groom is a great tool for removing dead coat and is gentler on our hounds thin skin than the Furminator.. Salmon oil and Proderma (which you can get from your vet) are wonderful products for coat and general health.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Funny you should mention that. Franny was 13 in February. She has had unusual shedding this year. I call it little tufts of fur that fall out. I can actually see the tufts on her. It's different than her regular shedding.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

Yup, today I noticed that my guys are blowing coat big time and it looks like tufts of hair that are being plucked out. It's been a week since the curry comb and stiff brush. So, out came the grooming tools. Crazy weather but remember the days are getting shorter, the coats know...btw, mine are 10. They grew super thick coats this year.

Edited by cleptogrey