Really, Really Bad Breath

Phoebe is six years old. Aside from when she was first off the track, she's not had a dental. In fact, the past two years the vet has said that she doesn't need one yet. A welcome surprise after four greyhounds with pretty much annual dentals!

However, her breath is horrendous. Think "road kill" horrendous. The vet has offered to do a dental, but I can't see putting her under anesthesia unless she *needs* a dental, solely for the sake of fresher breath. The only thing she actually chews is her large milkbones (usually one a day, maybe two); she never chews her kibble, just gulps it down. We rarely give her anything else. Sometimes bites of an apple or banana, but no people junk food.

No, I do not brush her teeth, though I know I should. I used some oral gel for awhile, but it didn't make a huge difference. We don't do a water additive either, and she actually doesn't drink much water in general (I add water to her kibble). She doesn't really graze for rabbit poop, she doesn't partake of her own leavings....the cat box is off limits and strictly monitored when Phoebe is in the room....but still, the breath could peel wallpaper.

​My question is this: Would probiotics help her breath?

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Has she been checked for worms / parasites? They will cause horrendous breath and should be checked if the cause doesn't appear to be related to dental reasons.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Has she been checked for worms / parasites? They will cause horrendous breath and should be checked if the cause doesn't appear to be related to dental reasons.

:puke

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I would probably get the dental done, as she could have some things going on that aren't visible on a basic oral exam. And/or, try feeding her something *totally* different (beef and rice?) for 5-6 days and see if that makes any difference.

ETA: If the bad breath is ammonia-ish, get her back to the vet for bloodwork (kidney values).

Hope all is well tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have your vet really evaluate her mouth and throat for sores, bad teeth, abcesses, blocked salivary glands. He may need to very lightly sedate her if she's not overly cooperative (or a dose of anti anxiety medication can be used as well). If all that's good, you start thinking about the rest of her digestive system. I never knew that about worms (above), but it makes sense. Kidney issues and stomach ulcers can cause horrible breath. I have also come across it in dogs who are fed too high a protein content in their daily food.

A probiotic *may* help, though I would talk with your vet to rule out any other medical issues, too. Our vet can do a quick ultrasound in-office with no sedation (for my dogs who just lay there getting pets!) and that has been very informative in several cases ruling issues in or out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Kidney disease will result in an ammonia smell to the breath - you might want to get a urinalysis (first morning catch) and some bloodwork to rule that out.

An infection could also cause a foul smell to the breath - the vet may need to examine each and every tooth to see if there is a possibility of an infection.

Have the dental prophy done --an oral exam can not determine true dental disease. Most disease is under the gumline. Really surprised your vet hasn't already had your dog scheduled. I will say to make sure your vet is equipped to perform oral radiographs-not all clinics are equipped-should be but.....I would ask.

This may or may not have anything to do with it: recently my daughter had little white bumps on her tonsils--they were bothering her and then she happened to cough one up. The smell was atrocious! We googled it, and they were tonsil stones! Anyway, she mentioned that Phoebe's breath reminded her of the smell of those tonsil stones, and once again google confirmed that dogs do indeed have tonsils! So now I wonder if her breath could be related to her tonsils.....?

Maybe I just need to get her scheduled for the dental; the vet said "probably next year" she'd need one anyway, and also ask him to throughly examine everything including her tonsils....

Have the dental prophy done --an oral exam can not determine true dental disease. Most disease is under the gumline. Really surprised your vet hasn't already had your dog scheduled. I will say to make sure your vet is equipped to perform oral radiographs-not all clinics are equipped-should be but.....I would ask.

Agree with this. There is some reason for her bad breath, she shouldn't have it otherwise and there can be issues that are only revealed with dental x-rays. You could check urine and blood work first, you'll need to make sure values are okay before sedation anyway and you could always come up with a plan where they her the x-rays under light sedation and if everything looks great and she truly doesnt need the dental they don't proceed.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

This may or may not have anything to do with it: recently my daughter had little white bumps on her tonsils--they were bothering her and then she happened to cough one up. The smell was atrocious! We googled it, and they were tonsil stones! Anyway, she mentioned that Phoebe's breath reminded her of the smell of those tonsil stones, and once again google confirmed that dogs do indeed have tonsils! So now I wonder if her breath could be related to her tonsils.....?

Maybe I just need to get her scheduled for the dental; the vet said "probably next year" she'd need one anyway, and also ask him to throughly examine everything including her tonsils....

Tonsil stones are so irritating! I get them (seems to depend on my diet, though I haven't quite pinpointed exactly what causes it). Never knew dogs have tonsils... Interesting!

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

How interesting! I happened to look up tonsil stones and colloidal silver and came up with an interesting human article.....

http://blog.colloidsforlife.com/prevention/bad-breath-it-may-be-tonsil-stones/

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tonsil-Stones-Treatment-With-Colloidal-Silver&id=4540606

For what it's worth, I gargle with it when I have a sore throat and it's rather effective.....

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Yep, those look like the tonsil stones DD had. They are putrid!

I stopped to get cat food today, at the small holistic shop where I buy it. I asked the girl if she had any recommendations for Phoebe's bad breath. She suggested raw bison bones, which I'm not sure about. Phoebe is an aggressive chewer and I fear her biting off big hunks....she also suggested coconut oil, and apple cider vinegar (with the mother). Since I had some coconut oil, I put about a teaspoon on her dinner. We'll see. Can't hurt her anyway, and maybe it'll help. I may add a splash of ACV to her food, too, but don't want to use everything at once so I know what might work. We need to get caught up on some bills before undertaking a dog dental anyway. And when we do get the dental, I'll be asking the vet to examine her tonsils, too!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have been giving Phoebe coconut oil on her food twice a day. Maybe about 1-1.5 teaspoons per meal, her breath is noticeably better! No more road kill smell....

For those of you who were concerned, I do plan on getting her a dental, like I said....the vet said she will likely need one early next year....and I did not 'waste my money' on this as I had it in my kitchen anyway. It seems to be helping, she actually likes it, and it can't do her any harm.....so it's a "win" for me! :)

Well, I have been giving Phoebe coconut oil on her food twice a day. Maybe about 1-1.5 teaspoons per meal, her breath is noticeably better! No more road kill smell....

For those of you who were concerned, I do plan on getting her a dental, like I said....the vet said she will likely need one early next year....and I did not 'waste my money' on this as I had it in my kitchen anyway. It seems to be helping, she actually likes it, and it can't do her any harm.....so it's a "win" for me! :)

All you are doing is reducing surface bacteria.