Our Vet Visit Today

Lately we have been noticing that Ruby's legs start violently shaking if she has to stand for any length of time. She has also been wanting to go out earlier in the evening, and occasionally needing to go out early in the AM to potty. The entire time we have had her, she has been able to go to bed at 10 PM, and not get up until 10 AM. Even when she went out, she wasn't in any hurry to potty. She is also starting to struggle a bit to get up, like she is hurting.

So today we took her in, wondering if there is something major going, and we were told that she is just getting old. She was tested for a UTI, but it was negative. She hasn't been going out to potty more frequently, just with less time in between. She usually goes out in the morning, at dinnertime, and at bedtime. That has not changed, just more urgency about it. She has also lost 4 lbs, but is eating well.

The vet said she needs a dental, which I scheduled for next week. She is 9 1/2. So basically the vet said she is slowing down, all is normal. He did give us some pain meds to give her twice a day The name escapes me at the moment, but is expensive stuff. He gave us some Amitryptiline to see if that will help her anxiety with the fireworks. We have tried everything else. He did draw a complete lab panel, and we will have results tomorrow hopefully.

So does anything I mentioned sound like it needs more investigating, or is it just the normal aging process ?. For some reason, hearing she is just getting older and slowing down was hard to take.

Karen

All of our greyhounds have developed "shaky legs" as they've aged. Everything else you mentioned sounds typical for aging dogs too. Try not to worry. With the exception of the two hounds we lost to osteosarcoma, we've had three others that have lived well past 13 y/o even with their "shaky legs," etc. Our girl Celeste will be turning 14 y/o on July 8. She has become particularly demanding about going out and mealtime. She has lost weight, so we've been adding more high protein add-ins to her food.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

All of our greyhounds have developed "shaky legs" as they've aged. Everything else you mentioned sounds typical for aging dogs too. Try not to worry. With the exception of the two hounds we lost to osteosarcoma, we've had three others that have lived well past 13 y/o even with their "shaky legs," etc. Our girl Celeste will be turning 14 y/o on July 8. She has become particularly demanding about going out and mealtime. She has lost weight, so we've been adding more high protein add-ins to her food.

Thank you Winnie, that eases my mind. I was concerned that maybe we needed a 2nd opinion. She seems happy most of the time, sleeps almost every second, but that is not new.

Karen

It is hard to watch them get old :( I don't see anything in your description that stands out as anything other than normal aging. Except for Fletcher, all of my greys have been at least 6 yrs old when I adopted them, so I am pretty familiar with old dogs :beatheart

At 11 years old, Wendy had developed the occasional shaky-leg and when she got up, it's like her back end was really heavy; something I can relate to at my age. ;) She was also a bit "off"...not her usual active, nutty self. The vet ran all the usual geriatric tests and x-rayed Wendy's legs and spine. She's got a bit of arthritis here and there but nothing major. Since she can't tolerate NSAIDs the vet prescribed Gabapentin 100 mg twice a day. Magic! he girl is like a puppy again! It's almost obnoxious how happy, active and engaged she is...running laps and leaping like a gazelle over furniture. I'll take it for as long as it lasts. :) Hope your Ruby remains well.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

And remember that continued exercise is important for those shaky legs. I was surprised to learn that gentle hill climbing is recommended.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Is the med she gave you Galliprant? Its an nsaid, which might not be my first choice unless I suspected arthritis or something else inflammatory. Gabapentin might be a better option.

Did they run bloodwork? I would want that to rule out kidney issues, especially before starting any medications.

Fwiw, I think the Amitriptiline is a really odd choice for firework anxiety. Its not really used anymore period for a few reasons (there are better options these days like Prozac, Chlomipramine, etc), but for something like fireworks something more fast acting makes more sense. Xanax, Valium, and Trazodone are all used for that purpose. There's also Sileo, which is specifically for noise sensitivities and would be my first choice if I had a dog afraid of fireworks.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Is the med she gave you Galliprant? Its an nsaid, which might not be my first choice unless I suspected arthritis or something else inflammatory. Gabapentin might be a better option.

Did they run bloodwork? I would want that to rule out kidney issues, especially before starting any medications.

Fwiw, I think the Amitriptiline is a really odd choice for firework anxiety. Its not really used anymore period for a few reasons (there are better options these days like Prozac, Chlomipramine, etc), but for something like fireworks something more fast acting makes more sense. Xanax, Valium, and Trazodone are all used for that purpose. There's also Sileo, which is specifically for noise sensitivities and would be my first choice if I had a dog afraid of fireworks.

Just an FYI-gabapentin is eliminated by the kidney's and the urinary tract and should be used with caution in dogs with renal disease. Actually, a careful clinician would recheck bloods 1-2 weeks after starting the medication ;-)

Don't even bother giving her the amitryptiline. That takes weeks to start working in most humans. Giving an odd dose now and again will likely do absolutely nothing.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck