Expressing Anal Glands - Myself

At a booster appointment I mentioned that Daisy had been licking her bottom quite a bit over the past few weeks. The vet expressed her anal glands and Daisy's screams were like nothing I'd heard even a greyhound make before. Vet said they were completely full and wasn't sure if they were infected, I took her back the next week and they expressed them again but said they didn't think they were infected and it could have been a one-off.

My dad had a retriever with anal gland issues and the vet showed him how to do it himself. I'm wondering if this is something that I can do myself, at least check them myself - or is this a bad idea? Or is this an expert only procedure?

Um, yeah, you *can* (some trained groomers do it). But I wouldn't. It's gross. Heyokha has anal gland issues (he's had 2 ruptures, so it's an ongoing thing we have to monitor). When the vet expressed them one time, they shot out all over his lab coat and he didn't have a spare. Which is to say that it's pretty gross stuff, even for a professional. Moreover, since you're not a vet, you won't really know what to look for in terms of what the output should be like, if there's an infection, etc. And really, do you want your dog associating you with that? Best to leave it to the professionals, imo. I do :)

As far as checking them yourself, yes, your vet can probably show you what to look for. With Heyokha, it was obvious when one side was over-full (aside from the fact he was licking incessantly).

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Recently iggy Charlie had an anal gland infection get huge overnight. Really, nothing the day before. He'd just had his glands cleaned one month before. (He always has nice, solid poo.)

The unaffected side was still relatively empty.

The other side had a golf ball sized infection but nothing to express.

10 days of antibiotic cleared up the infection.

Vet gave me a lesson in what to check for and how do express him myself. I've bought the gloves and lubricant but haven't given it a go yet. But at the first sign of licking or scooting I'm going to check him.

I've had some dogs who never needed to have their glands expressed and just 3 who needed it regularly.

Although a vet years ago said once you start expressing them you'll always have to get it done, current vet says that's not true.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

My vet showed my how to do it. It's easy, but definitely can have a high yuck factor. If you're not careful, a full gland can spray you in the face. Ewww. :censored:sick

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Let your vet do it.

Daisy the terrier has recurring anal gland issues that land us at the vet every month for, as I called it, the "butt squeeze". I could definitely learn to do it myself - I've cleaned out puss-filled abscesses on my rats before, so I have a pretty high tolerance for ick factors related to animals - but it only costs $20 at the vet and they do a very thorough job and can monitor to tell me if they're infected or not.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

Can you? Yes.

Is it advised? No! :lol

It's gross. Really really gross. Techs do not make enough money for all the ick they have to put up with.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

My vet also said that "routine" expression is not advised as it then becomes necessary. Sort of like a human taking a laxative frequently and then finds him/herself dependent on them. I have read similar discussions but, of course, it's all opinion.

I do know that it is best done outdoors, weather permitting. Others suggest the bathtub. But (butt) you've got to clean the tub when you're done! :eek

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

i learned how to do it decades ago, i used to bath dogs at my friend's grooming shop. no big deal, but it's best to do it in the tub so the fluid can quickly be washed away. it's something that some dogs express naturally, some need to be expressed, but not that often. i'm sure that there is a youtube video out there if you want to venture and try in 6 or more months.with smaller dogs they scoot across the floor on their bum, then you know it's full. if they fill sooner than that then something might be off. when i wasn't bathing my dogs i used a good couple of paper towels over the area- it squirts up. but with terriers and their coats it's best to be able to wash up since it stinks. your vet will be able to show you the borders of the gland, one needs to get around it, not in the middle. yulk factor...yes it's there, but it's now that bad.

I had a dog that needed this done a few times a year, best money I ever spent; I think it cost me ~$10 to have it done.. Also, it's my understanding that groomers (usually) don't do it properly and that can cause problems, so make sure you're learning the best technique if you do it yourself or have a vet's office take care of it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.