Does My Dog Need A Friend?

Guest AstroCat

Guest AstroCat

My husband and I adopted a retired grey last November. She'll be 4 in December, and is very timid with new situations. We knew she would be hard at first, as she was so timid, but we just felt she needed us and I instantly fell in love with her.

At first she wouldn't even make eye contact with us, and now she loves us. When my hubby comes home from work she's greeting him at the door, tail going 100mph. She loves to go out with us and she runs (we have a good size fenced in yard off of our deck) and she is so-so with playing with toys. I try to get her to play more with them, but she usually doesn't, except once in a while she'll grab them and take off playing with them, and when you throw them she pounces on them.

She's still very timid with new people and gets scared easily, but is making a bit of progress with strangers. As long as they don't crowd her, she'll actually go and sniff people once in a while. (Though usually retreats if they try to pet her, though not always.)

We have 4 cats, and she does great with them. (She'll growl if they wake her up, but has never snapped at them) Usually if they jump up beside her she'll just leave, but she's getting now to where she'll stay when they sit by her or she'll even jump up and lay by them. And our kitten (she's a year old but I still call her kitten...) will play with her legs and sniff her, and she'll sniff back.

We adore her, but I worry that maybe she needs another dog to play with? My friend has a dog, a small pug. But she HATED him instantly. He's kind of an in-your-face dog, and wont leave her alone. (Other dogs that are good with dogs don't like her pug either, so Im thinking it's just her dog to be honest.) My parents had tried two different Doberman's and our girl got along great with them. (Though neither one worked out, one had a mental disorder where he would never NOT stop running, way worse than just puppy energy. Our vet even said there was something wrong with him and he needed more training than they could give him, so they rehomed him. And the other didnt get along with their cats.) But now she has no dogs in her life.

I have debated looking into getting another grey for her, as we love the breed so much, but I worry that maybe it's not the right time for that. We are expecting in February, and I know a baby can change everything. I also don't know if bringing a new pet into the mixture with all this happening is a good idea, but I also worry about her needing a friend that might help her out. I was thinking of a calmer, more outgoing one that's already been around kids, might do her good, but I also don't want to jump into anything either.

Do you think she's fine for now as an only dog? If I got another dog do you think they would be more apt to get a 'pack mentality' with the cats, or is that fine? Just thought I'd see people's opinions. I am fine waiting too, and honestly not sure if my hubby wants another dog yet since I am not working and he's the only one working now. Just want whatever is best for her and us. The rescue we got her from has meet and greets, but they are 3-4 hours away, and that doesn't really work with pregnancy. :) I wish there were people in our area that had greys.

Broken record here. Maybe see if your group has an easy going BIG boy that you could foster? IMO they are usually calm and my two spooky/painfully shy girls took great comfort from their big brothers. There used to be a great picture somewhere of Bella in Abilene ducking her head under Rex's tuck up. Both of mine did that with the boys if they were stressed.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Post the area you live in. You may be surprised to find someone here, or a member who knows another greyhound near you. The greyhound world is actually much smaller than many people realize.

A play date or having another hound over for a weekend would be the best way to gauge how she will react. Many of these dogs are actually "greyhound snobs," and won't give other breads so much as a second look. Rocket is one of those, but when he sees another grey, he is all about meeting them.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

None of what you are describing is atypical behavior for a well-adjusted single dog.

I would urge you to wait and see until after your baby is born. Adding a child completely changes the dynamics in the house. As long as she's not exhibiting any Separation Anxiety when you leave, she's probably fine being an only dog.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would wait, too. At least as long as everyone has adapted to the new human being in your lives. But finding a greyhound friend in your area for playdates or walks is always a good idea.

Sorry for butchering the english language. I try to keep the mistakes to a minimum.

Nadine with Paddy (Zippy Mullane), Saoirse (Lizzie Be Nice), Abu (Cillowen Abu) and bridge angels Colin (Dessies Hero) and Andy (Riot Officer).

No.

Having an infant is more than enough.

Many greyhounds have ZERO interest in playing. Your dog sounds happy and it sounds like your life is going just great. No need to complicate things.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I'd ask around or contact your adoption group asking if anyone close to you has a greyhound. Playdates are awesome, you can also suggest dog sitting if they go on vacation. Plus if you have anything happen, gives you a back up person to mind your grey.

Its what I do with mine, we have play dates, go for group walks and will be minding another grey in November.

With a baby on the way, I'd wait. you'll have you hands full and enough changes in the home to need attention.

OH ask around to see if anyone has whippets as my grey responds to them just as he would another greyhound.

Mine does just fine, he sees our cat as his buddy and company. Loads do just fine alone.

IMO, you're smart about this not being an optimal time for another Greyhound. I would keep her as an only dog. Your girl seems to be naturally happily blooming in her current life with you and your husband. Your new baby will change everyone's life. Another Greyhound would further change family dynamics, including your four cats. Every dog needs time, attention, training, walks, regular and emergency veterinary care (dog bills can get expensive fast, even more challenging while responsible for four other animals food and medical care), grooming, daily tooth brushing, frequent nail clipping, etc.

I'd encourage you to devote your time and energy to rearing your new baby for 5-6+ years while balancing your existing animal family. IMO, it's not advisable to complicate your life with the physical, emotional, financial and liable responsibility of another large dog until your new baby is at least school age. Also, while retired racing Greyhounds are wonderful dogs, many would not be considered a best breed to live 24/7 with very young children since their upbringing is so unlike typical pet breeds e.g., Labradors. Retired racing Greyhounds are not considered rough and tumble playmates. Generally, toddlers' minds aren't mature enough to respectfully control their own reactive behavior around dogs. Our adoption contracts include a clause that dogs must be watched at all times whenever around children. (It's really impossible to supervise two large dogs, a child, and multiple cats at all times.)

Yes, multiple dogs do create a pack mentality towards cats. (We have/had four indoor cats.) Whether cat parents have one dog or more, it's very important to prevent Greyhounds from chasing cats, even if it appears to be in play. A Greyhound's playful leg pounce can seriously harm cats (cats look like live toys). Baby-gates installed 5"- 6" above floor level helps allow wide escape routes for cats. Our eldest, nearly 15 year old Greyhound still tries to chase indoor cats.

If you happen to be allowing your Greyhound up on humans' furniture, I'd encourage you to stop now. Begin happily teaching her to rest on her own thick, cushy dog beds on the floor. This will be very important when your baby arrives. Best to implement new rules now vs. later when jealousy could become a factor. Good rule of thumb for your own home or when visiting others with dogs: Don't place a baby (or baby in carrier) on the floor with any loose dog.

BTW, direct eye contact is considered threatening in dogs' language, so your girl's lack of eye contact was normal and considered polite for a new dog. ;)

Enjoy your special Greyhound girl, and congratulations on your upcoming human baby's arrival! :)

None of what you are describing is atypical behavior for a well-adjusted single dog.

I would urge you to wait and see until after your baby is born. Adding a child completely changes the dynamics in the house. As long as she's not exhibiting any Separation Anxiety when you leave, she's probably fine being an only dog.

I would wait, too. At least as long as everyone has adapted to the new human being in your lives. But finding a greyhound friend in your area for playdates or walks is always a good idea.

No.

Many greyhounds have ZERO interest in playing. Your dog sounds happy and it sounds like your life is going just great. No need to complicate things.

IMO, you're smart about this not being an optimal time for another Greyhound. I would keep her as an only dog. Your girl seems to be naturally happily blooming in her current life with you and your husband. Your new baby will change everyone's life. Another Greyhound would further change family dynamics, including your four cats. Every dog needs time, attention, training, walks, regular and emergency veterinary care (dog bills can get expensive fast, even more challenging while responsible for four other animals food and medical care), grooming, daily tooth brushing, frequent nail clipping, etc.

I'd encourage you to devote your time and energy to rearing your new baby for 5-6+ years while balancing your existing animal family. IMO, it's not advisable to complicate your life with the physical, emotional, financial and liable responsibility of another large dog until your new baby is at least school age. Also, while retired racing Greyhounds are wonderful dogs, many would not be considered a best breed to live 24/7 with very young children since their upbringing is so unlike typical pet breeds e.g., Labradors. Retired racing Greyhounds are not considered rough and tumble playmates. Generally, toddlers' minds aren't mature enough to respectfully control their own reactive behavior around dogs. Our adoption contracts include a clause that dogs must be watched at all times whenever around children. (It's really impossible to supervise two large dogs, a child, and multiple cats at all times.)

Yes, multiple dogs do create a pack mentality towards cats. (We have/had four indoor cats.) Whether cat parents have one dog or more, it's very important to prevent Greyhounds from chasing cats, even if it appears to be in play. A Greyhound's playful leg pounce can seriously harm cats (cats look like live toys). Baby-gates installed 5"- 6" above floor level helps allow wide escape routes for cats. Our eldest, nearly 15 year old Greyhound still tries to chase indoor cats.

If you happen to be allowing your Greyhound up on humans' furniture, I'd encourage you to stop now. Begin happily teaching her to rest on her own thick, cushy dog beds on the floor. This will be very important when your baby arrives. Best to implement new rules now vs. later when jealousy could become a factor. Good rule of thumb for your own home or when visiting others with dogs: Don't place a baby (or baby in carrier) on the floor with any loose dog.

BTW, direct eye contact is considered threatening in dogs' language, so your girl's lack of eye contact was normal and considered polite for a new dog. ;)

Enjoy your special Greyhound girl, and congratulations on your upcoming human baby's arrival! :)

:nod:nod:nod:nod

She certainly sounds very well adjusted.

None of mine play with toys.

And never play with each other .. only to run zoomies in the yard for twenty seconds in the morning. Then it's back to bed ;)

And most little yapper dogs are very annoying :)

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest budsmom

Your girl sounds like my Duncan. He's almost 2 different dogs depending on where we are. At home with me, he's crazy, follows me everywhere, greets me with helicopter tail, does his pogo bounce landing on my feet usually. When we go somewhere, though, he's painfully shy and spends most of the time hiding behind me. I just keep taking him places to work on his socialization. I can see progress, as it takes him less and less time to relax each time we're out. Just give your girl time, and keep working with her. She may never be a social butterfly, but should eventually not be terrified anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Why? Tell me WHY your dog needs a new packmate? It sounds like your dog has a pack and is doing well. In my opinion - your dog is FINE. Don't muddy the waters. You have enough changes coming soon - enjoy them with the family you have. Now is NOT the time to rock the boat.

Are you worried that your dog will be neglected for attention when you have the baby? It's a valid concern. But - an "extra dog" right now is not the answer- that would just be drama you don't need right now.

It'll be FINE.... Relax mamma. You have more than enough love for the baby and the dog. Make a point to pay attention to the dog - and the dog WILL adapt. It's OK. You're nesting. Trying to get "everything right". I get that. But please don't get another dog right now. Chill. It's OK. You're going to be FINE.

She's fine, and you're doing a great job.

:)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Kasey took about a year, yes a full year, until he blossomed and showed me who he really is. Ryder took about a month. :) Some pups take longer than others, but it sounds like she's behaving like a greyhound behaves! A year later now and looks like what you got is what you'll get. She sounds well rounded.

I took in a foster for a very short time about a year after getting Kasey to see if Kasey would have liked to have a buddy, and he told me kind of quickly that nope, this two dog thing isn't for me. He didn't even look at her, or engage her. He was great as a single dog. Then I got Ryder many years later as he aged, and while they weren't best buddies cuddling and everything, they appreciated eachothers company, but really that was it. Ryder benefited the most from that relationship, not Kasey. So, my feeling is that your dog seems to be just fine right now as a single. Take her out to some greyhound events to socialize with some other greys, or consider a foster to see how she does, or maybe dog sit for a weekend for a grey. Other dogs that interact with greys are likely too much energy and in your face as you've experienced. A mellow old lab might work!

Like many though that have posted above, seems like your house dynamic is changing so holding off on any changes for a bit seems like a smart thing to do. With you being home too, she'll have the company she needs. :)

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Well, my best friend adopted a three month old Great Dane puppy a month before her due date and they made it work. So while it's complicated, it's not impossible.

Do what you want to do. Adopt another dog because you want one. IMO you should adopt sooner rather than later though, as the closer you are to your due date the more challenging everything becomes.

You could also try fostering to see if your girl perks up with a friend.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rferguson

No.

This.