Crate Pottying/bath Time

So this evening we put Brandy up in her crate so we could go grocery shopping. She rarely has to use her crate and I know she has regressed since coming to us since there is always someone here 24/7 except for the odds and ends occasional trip. She pooped and possibly peed in her crate even though I gave her plenty of time out before we left and she went potty right after she ate her dinner as well. We were only gone for a tad over an hour so I know it wasn't a length of time issue. I'm thinking about leaving her in the guest room which has the baby gate and minimal furniture/items for her to get into when we have to all leave in the future.. I'm just wondering if there are any clues as to whether it was the crate itself or our absence that causes her to have this anxiety? I'll be searching around for alone training tips on here as well, but it's going to be difficult with her because we really don't all leave very often, not even once a week.

Also, I had to get her straight into the bath when we got home to get the mess off her feet and other areas, any tips to share that would make that part easier? I had a very hard time getting her to step over the sides of the tub to get in without hurting herself, and the whole time I had to keep a very tight hold on her collar to keep her from trying to scramble out. I reassured her the entire time with a calm voice and praised her for being still, is there any thing else I could do to make her feel more secure during bath time?

1a_opt1_zpsmbvbxj5k.jpg

Instead of putting her in the tub use a bunch of baby wipes.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Scouts_mom

Does she really need to be crated when you leave the house? This trouble could just be because she hates the crate. I never crate my dogs, not even when they are new. Sometimes, if I think there might be a problem, they have been babygated in the kitchen. Also, don't make a fuss when you leave, just grab coats and purses then leave.

how long have you had her? Did you have thunderstorms (like we are, and I see they are in MI too, all night)? If you got her not too long ago it's possible she is thunder-phobic. We got our Zeke on 1/4/13 and didn't find out he is TERRIEFIED of rain/thunderstorms until the late spring when we got the first ones of the season.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Whatever you do when you leave, whether that's the crate or a baby gated space, you should do that each time. Don't make *some* leaving different than other leaving. If she's been fine being left out before, then she will probably be fine left out in the future.

Training is just that - training. Don't depend on it happening whenever you have to leave. Making time for training her to be alone is just as important as any other training. You can walk across the street and back, or drive around the block. The trick is to return *before* she becomes anxious, then try and extend that time.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Usually I do use baby wipes, however I didn't want to chance missing anything in all of the crevices in her feet- plus I was a bit overwhelmed when we got back, my first thought was to get her in the tub. In hindsight, I think I will use a bucket and just dip her feet in and wash that way. The bathing itself she was fine with, it was just getting in and out of the tub where I had an issue.

The crate isn't super necessary, this is just the first incident where I have realized she has a problem with it. She happily will lay in it for hours at a time during the day. The previous time I had to crate her to leave she did pee a little, but I was gone for 6 hours so I wasn't sure if it was just a time issue or her actually being anxious. Next time I'm going to try just leaving her loose in the guest room with the gate up and move the baby monitor in there so I can actually see how she does.

As far as thunderstorms, we had several spurts of loud thunder last night and she was cool as a cucumber. :)

1a_opt1_zpsmbvbxj5k.jpg

Guest Jordan33

Perhaps a step stool would help her get into the tub easier? Or those stairs to help dogs get into a human bed?

With my last dog, I found the easiest way to wash her was to actually shower with her. She wasn't a greyhound, but because I was in there with her, she was much more eager to get into the tub! I found it easier on me too, not having to be on my knees so much, and we spent less time in there. All in all, a win win for both of us. :-)

Regarding the crate, have you touched base with Heather, her foster mom? I think she crates all her fosters at first. Not sure if they are crated while she is at work. I still baby gate my two and crate any foster when I am gone. They are fine with that. Mine are muzzled any time I am gone.

I keep a small bucket for feet washing. It is so much easier than trying to get them in a tub. I find that bathing is so much easier just walking them into the shower than trying to pick them to put in a tub. I see that Jordan33 does the same thing.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest KarenD

I agree with the "leave more often". We have had good luck with ignoring a few minutes before and after the trip. We don't care for the crates.

About the bath.....I like baby wipes too and have also used a warm wet old towel and wipe them down on an old rug. Of course talking to them with praise.

It's hard to leave when you know they will be stressed.

Guest AtticusMom

When my greys need their feet cleaned, I just use the hose in the yard. It only takes a few seconds to spray out a foot. Then I towel dry. They don't mind at all. We are in the Pacific Northwest where the climate is reasonably moderate (I wouldn't do this in the depths of winter, obviously :D ).

We have an "open door policy" with regard to crates. Our dogs have been free to go into them if they want to, but the door is always open. We rely on baby gates to seal off parts of the house we don't want the dogs going to, when we are not at home.

eta: My first two greys (who were littermates) used to have regular poo/pee issues in their crates, when we were not at home. This problem went away when we gave them more freedom in the house. But, they were definitely anxious when we were not at home. I think it is your absence that causes the anxiety. This will diminish over time, for most dogs, IMO.

Edited by AtticusMom

Success! We left tonight to go out to dinner, and left Brandy babygated in the guest room. We were gone for a little over two hours, and she was quiet even when we came in the house, with no potty issues at all! So happy, guess it was the crate after all. Lots of smiles and zoomies when we opened the gate :D

Edited to add- we don't have an outdoor faucet or I would just hose her down! All our plumbing was replaced by the previous owner after the copper got stolen by thieves when it sat vacant. He didn't add a spigot for whatever reason. It's on the to-do list for this summer!

Edited by Jessa

1a_opt1_zpsmbvbxj5k.jpg

:)

Time, time ... and more time ...with a dash of patience... will pay off.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

She is apt to just go lay in her crate when you leave if you just LEAVE and don't create a situation in which she knows you're leaving, e.g. moving her to a guest room and putting up the baby gate. What do you think she's doing to do if she is just left where she normally hangs out?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I put her in the guest room mainly so she doesn't get into trouble when we aren't here. She's a counter surfer and my kitchen in open to the house. There's no way to barricade it off, and there are times that I leave baked goods and things in containers on the counter. She also has tried to chew on things that aren't even food- I've caught her with a few plastic items she's stolen off of tables like water bottle caps, and once a plastic outlet protector- I don't want to think what could happen if I wasn't there to immediately fish them out of her mouth. I can't pick up the house to 100% cleanliness every time I have to make a run to the store, and the guest room is plenty big enough with only a desk and dresser that never get used.

1a_opt1_zpsmbvbxj5k.jpg