This Is A Giant Corn, Right? Update: Hulled That Sucker!

Yup. Larry has 2 on one of his front inner pads :( I don't know if this is true for all, but as bad as they were, every time we get them hulled they come back bigger, harder and worse EACH time -- and only gave him about 5 days of relief the very first time they were done (have done it 4 - 5 times now). I wish I had never had them hulled at all.

buy a TheraPaw -- best $27 you'll EVER spend. He couldn't go for a daily walkie without one. :D

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Thanks for posting Rachael!

Rebel hasn't been willing to walk around the neighborhood this week, I chalked it up to him being afraid; he's a bit of a spook. We came back from a brisk walk in the park with his greyhound friends and I noticed him holding his paw in the air and a slight limp. I took a look to discover what I assume is a corn.

I understand the purpose of hulling but have no idea how to go about it. If I was to hull it, would the corn come back again?

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

I use duck tape. It loosens the corn and raises it up. Then I can just pick it out with my nail. It takes about a week for the whole process from taping to removal. The tape has another purpose in that it cushions the pad a little, as well. Give it a try. They do come back.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest Scouts_mom

I'd first get his pads nice and soft using Bag Balm or something similar. At the same time try to work your thumb nail under the edges of the corn. Soon you should be able to pop it out or pop most of it out except for the main root/stock which you can cut with small very sharp scissors.

yes. Get duct tape.

Yes to the original question and yes, yes yes to this ^. I wouldn't even try to pry it out I would let the duct tape do all the work. I think there is less chance of the corn returning if you let the tape do the job of killing it versus you trying to pry it out and chance leaving a bit and that regrowing.

Here's a picture of a corn working its way up out of Chase's toe. I went to put on some fresh tape a short time later to find the corn gone and little evidence it had ever been there. There was no divet were the corn had been, the corn had been replaced with healthy tissue.

Edited to say sorry for the GINORMOUS picture.

Chases%20corn.jpg

Edited by 4My2Greys

i used to hull emily's corns w/ a "sharp", the needle used for IV. but this is a really good video that i shared w/ a friend followed the directions for a poor pup who had multiple huge corns. the corn pictured is coming out and has excellent edges to follow.but remember it won't come out all the way, even if you pick, some root is left, and don't worry, they don't bleed. i found using a surgical syringe was easier for me, but a small version of the nail clipper show does work beautifully.

just have someone feed crackers, cookies or cheese to the pup and work away. the dog that i mentioned used 2 therapaws and could barely make it to the yard from the house. he was boarded at my friends home for over 3 months while his owners looked for relocation property out west. the pup sprung back to his youthful self after being relieved of the pain. can you imagine walking for 10 miles with a good sized pebble in your shoe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdVWFUAT_4w

Your removal looks promising, but they are awful and often do return. If you happen to have wart remover because it's so fresh, you can put that on in the centre to kill any root that might be there. Worth a shot since it's exposed and the skin there is not hard. It helped slow down Kasey's regrowth so I thought i'd suggest it.

Kudos for aiding a pup in need! Is he walking better now?

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Good work,you watched the video right? Walking on sidewalks should sand down the edges of the hole. I never applied salicylic acid to any of emily's corns,I just hulled them when there was a good border.

Yep, I watched the video. Very useful!

Your removal looks promising, but they are awful and often do return. If you happen to have wart remover because it's so fresh, you can put that on in the centre to kill any root that might be there. Worth a shot since it's exposed and the skin there is not hard. It helped slow down Kasey's regrowth so I thought i'd suggest it.

Kudos for aiding a pup in need! Is he walking better now?

That's an interesting idea. I've certainly used it on my funky feet. He took a decent walk after we got it out. Rebel is a little timid and not used to walking with me near his house, so he was weird. ;)

He has a tiny corn starting on his other front foot. That has been duct taped, because the margins aren't clear and it hasn't poked through the surface. Should that foot get soaked? How often, how long? When do you change duct tape?

My dogs don't have corns, thank goodness, and Rebel is Candice's first corn dog. Thanks, everyone, for running through all of this again for us!

I wouldn't bother soaking it if it hasn't poked through the surface. Kasey had some on his feet forever that never seemed to bother him that were small and under the surface.

Duct tape stays on until it falls off itself. It will do all the work for you. If it falls off and the corn isn't ready, just put a new piece on. But don't put a piece on it so large that it takes up the whole pad.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thank you everyone for the advice and video! This seems much more manageable now. Rebel is a lot tougher then I give him credit for. I never noticed him favoring that paw until the corn was on the surface and ready to be removed. I baby him which is no surprise because he is a baby, he's only three.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

if you walk your dog a lot on black top or side walks often the margins of the corn are worn off. wait until it's a good size corn and you have clean margins. wetting it/soaking only makes it more difficult to find the exact margins. just be patient, they will erupt.