Problem With Violet - Getting Worse, Now Muzzle

So I got home from work and noticed Violet's left eye is all puffy and red and swollen. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it at the moment, but I'm not sure what's going on. There was nothing noticeable this morning, though after our walk she was chewing really intensely on the outside toe of her right front paw. So I'm wondering if she's having an allergic reaction to something she came in contact with on our walk?

The other possibility is that she has a bit of conjunctivitis and just rubbed her eye really raw. Some puppies at camp have had it so it's possible I brought it home. Zuri has had one weepy eye for almost 2 weeks and saw the vet yesterday. She couldn't really be certain what was going on so she prescribed an antibiotic/steroid eye cream in case it was conjuctivitis.

So, use the eye cream on Violet? Give her a Claritin or Benadryl? Leave it and see how it is in the morning? I'm inclined to do the latter if she doesn't start working at it, but will feel better if you guys tell me you know what it is and she's fine. :P

A few photos:0304161902_zpsbmoutf1r.jpg

0304161902b_zpss7hpjgto.jpg

0304161903a_zpslfipbpy4.jpg

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

How are the insides of her ears and the pads of her feet? Any licking or chewing or rubbing of those, or her bum? Those are all indicators of allergies, either contact or in the air (or something she's eaten too). If there are other red areas I might be inclined to either wait until morning and then call the vet; or, if I notice her working on her eye or foot again, to give her a benadryl dose and still cal the vet in the am.

It's likely that she has whatever Zuri is dealing with, or it comes from the same source, but I would call the vet anyway because eye things can go bad very quickly.

{{{smooches}}} for pretty Violet! :wub:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

No signs of other issues that would indicate allergies. I have noticed her rubbing the other side of her face more frequently recently. Her teeth aren't great :( so I was thinking that's why she was doing it. I suppose it's possibly it's been her eyes all along. Or alternatively she was trying to rub her mouth and scraped her eye with her dewclaw or otherwise irritated it somehow. She's tried to rub it a bit once or twice since I've been home, but mostly will leave it alone if I ask her to.

Unfortunately I teach classes all day tomorrow and have to leave the house before my vet's office even opens. :( Hoping she's improved by the AM. I'm hesitant to give her Benadryl since she takes Amitriptiline and I don't know if they interact. I'm also hesitant to do Zuri's eye cream because of the steroids. Gah. :P

ETA: Well, no signs of other licking aside from her hoo haa, but she's always done that. :P

Also, I will take her to the vet and cancel a class if I need to in case that seemed up in the air, but unless it's an emergency that warrants that, I think reaching my vet will be tough. And it won't be my vet, it will be another vet in the practice. :(

Edited by NeylasMom

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Crap! Now he's muzzle is swelling up and red. Other side of her face. What is going on?!

0304162049_zpsuwa3gtuc.jpg

Guest MnMDogs

Find out if you can give Benadryl. Macy has had weird random bouts of face swelling and full body hives that we never figured out the cause of.

But honestly, if this is new, I would probably get her to the vet for steroids, and maybe they'll have a better idea of what is causing it. I'd be particularly worried because it's her face.

Yeah, we're on our way. Its getting worse and they won't tell me if I can give Benadryl safely with her meds over the phone.

Edited by NeylasMom

Guest MnMDogs

Yeah, we're on our way. Its getting worse and they won't tell me if I can give Benadryl safely with her meds over the phone.

Oh no. I hope it's nothing, and you and she are back home soon. It's amazing how these things always happen outside of regular daylight hours! Keep us posted if you can.

So I figured this is probably an allergic reaction, but was wondering/worried if it could be an abcessed tooth. Basically they said exactly that, but we can't tell without x-rays for sure so she gets Apoquel for now and if the swelling doesn't improve quickly I'll swing by to pick up ABs tomorrow until we can get her back to the dentist. :goodluck that it's just an allergic reaction pretty please. :hope

On a happy note, Deanna was here. Always nice to be greeted by a familiar face. :)

Edited by NeylasMom

Has the Apoquel worked yet? I always freak out with unexplained facial swelling, just because of the chance of it affecting the airway. Hope she's doing better!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Has the Apoquel worked yet? I always freak out with unexplained facial swelling, just because of the chance of it affecting the airway. Hope she's doing better!

Not sure. This is my view right now :P

0305160030_zps1f02kyzq.jpg

She is sacked out. Mostly stress from the vet visit I'm sure, though I don't know if Apoquel also sometimes causes drowsiness. She was really having a hard time leaving her face alone at the vet and even as we got in the car, but by the time we got home she had stopped. He said the Apoquel works fast so we'd see improvement as soon as 30 min to an hr in (she got her first dose while we were still there) So I'm hopeful.

I'm going to take them out shortly and we'll see if the swelling is better.

I made sure to dose myself along with her with l-theanine when I realized we were going to have to go so I managed to keep my anxiety in check pretty well. :P Thankfully the swelling was really contained to her muzzle so that helped too.

I'll update one last time before we go to bed shortly. I honestly should have gone to bed the moment we got back, but I wanted to give the meds time to kick in. I have to teach at 9 am tomorrow. :(

Edited by NeylasMom

Eye looks better, but whole right side of her muzzle still swollen, which doesn't look good for this being an allergic reaction. :( Just gave her a small dose of Deramaxx and will pick up ABs tomorrow to be safe.

Why in the world didn't they tell you to give Benadryl. Looks like a very obvious allergic reaction. The apoquel will only take the itch away but, won't address the underlying cause.

It's highly unlikely to be related to a diseased tooth as they don't get itchy from a tooth root abcess.

Give the Benadryl (it's fine to combine with the apoquel).

Good thoughts for Violet and you. Hope you can get all the swelling down.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Did they check the inside of her mouth? Did they check for a fracture ... sometimes they can see that without x-rays.

Lucy had 2 incidents, once she swelled up to twice the size on one side of her mouth but, I knew that she had a fracture and we had been waiting for another mouth for her dental/removal - she ended up going in ASAP to have the tooth removed. It had gotten infected and that's why it swelled - the antibiotics helped.

The 2nd incident was where she started going against the side of her face with her foot, swiping the side of her face and her eye. Checked her mouth - nothing and she calmed down. After a few hours, it seemed like that side was swelling a bit and she started going at it again and then she was having trouble eating. Checked her mouth better and found a sliver of plastic from a squeakie between her bottom teeth - really jammed in there.

Hope all is OK

Thanks all. Still swelling this morning, but improved (not as much as I'd like though). The eye looks normal again at least. She slept through the night, or the measly 5 hrs that was our night and so far hasn't started rubbing her face.

Unfortunately I have to leave to teach shortly and am gone almost a full day. Would prefer to be home keeping an eye on her if only to make sure she doesn't irritate things. :(

Oh tbhounds, I think no Benadryl because the anti-anxiety med she's on is Amitriptyline. He said it's a stronger anti-histamine than Benadryl. So that's why he continued with that and added the Apoquel.

Poor Violet. :( Poor you, as well. I know you have to work but it certainly is worrying to leave her home like that. Don't suppose you can get home fast enough for a quick check on her sometime during the day?

It does really look like an allergic reaction. Am wondering though, if amitriptyline is such a strong antihistamine why isn't that helping? Is Violet's dose high enough to be therapeutic for an allergic reaction? Just thinking about it because I take a low dose of amitriptyline at bedtime every evening for headaches. It doesn't do diddly-squat for my allergies, nor did the doctor make any mention of skipping my usual bedtime dose of antihistamines. Either amitriptyline isn't that effective for allergic reactions, despite being an H1 antagonist, or the dose is just too low for that use. :dunno

Here's hoping things improve today. :goodluck

I'm home, thanks for checking in. Violet is fine. Swelling has improved a little more, but still there. Her gums are a bit paler than I would like, but that could be me imagining things.

She did also puke while I was gone. Bile with lots of chunks of bone. Maybe not totally surprising since she picked up a bone on our walk this morning, but she also did it earlier in the week (Wednesday early AM I think) and yesterday.

I'm waiting for the vet to call me back to make sure there's nothing concerning we could be overlooking. I was also going to pick up the antibiotics on my way home, but once I was in the car I started to worry and sped home. :P I can go pick them up after I talk to the vet and make sure I don't need to bring her back for any reason.

She is acting normal and is not rubbing her face at all.

Oh Kudzu, I'm wondering the same about the Amitriptyline. She's on a low dose, only 25 mg twice a day. One explanation for it not working though was that her morning dose had started to wear off and that's when her face swelled.

I'll ask the vet about Benadryl when he calls. Based on where the swelling has settled in though and how she's been rubbing that side of her face recently I am still concerned about an abscess. Everything else presents like an allergic reaction, buy I don't know. Its possible she's been rubbing because the allergic reaction was building I guess. :dunno

ETA: Scratch my comment about her gums, they look fine to me now.

Edited by NeylasMom

Feel better sweet girl...

That was for Violet.....but you too Jen!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021