Scab Won't Heal Due To Scratching

Guest stereosilence

Guest stereosilence

I have only had Eugene for 5 months, but when we first got him, he would have big eye boogers in the mornings and would rub them off on the side of the bed, your leg, etc. At some point, he rub it pretty bad until it was all raw. Now when it scabs up to heal, I think it itches him and he scratches it off. Now he has a perpetual bloody wound right next to his eye (see photo). What should I do to get this to heal? I have put Neosporin on it and stuff. It isn't getting infected and aside from the itching, doesn't seem to bother him. Does he need a cone?

2016-01-21%2016.13.18.jpg?raw=1

I'd take him to the vet for evaluation and veterinary medication. IMO, that's not a normal scratch.

BTW, I wouldn't put any non-veterinary topical treatment that close to the eye.

(Body heat melts Neosporin into a liquid which could easily drain into the eye.)

Ditto

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest stereosilence

It isn't really a "scratch". It started out as normal, then got raw, then started to scab, and then he rubs it off with the side of his paw. Thanks for the advice though. I appreciate it.

Aww, poor guy! We had one greyhound come to us with a puncture wound and huge scratch on his face, that he scratched constantly. We also got one of the soft-sided cones - he could lie down and even drink, but scratching was thwarted. Finally healed up - he was pretty miserable for a couple of weeks, but was much better than the misery he'd been in for weeks before we adopted him (for some reason the adoption group was just giving him antibiotics, but not putting a cone on him).

Guest stereosilence

The interesting thing is it doesn't seem to bother him at all. He would rub at scab (you know how it gets itchy), but then leave it alone. Since I posted this, the scab actually fell off on its own so it seems like it is finally healing. Thanks for the input.

My girl had a abrasion under the eye, very close to the eyeball.

I made a paste of sugar and water and carefully applied to area. The wound closed in a few days.

However, if you decide to use this paste, please be careful not to get it in the eye. Perhaps apply with a cotton swab.

Edited by msjpk

Guest stereosilence

I think we will be going to the vet for a checkup. There are a few things to ask about. It is due to rubbing though. I have watched it go from normal, to a bit raw, to bleeding. Since he had just been to the vet before we adopted him, we have not been yet. How much do these things usually cost?

Vet visit cost varies by location. If you'd like to post your general region, we may be able to offer a better answer to your question (and it would help for when I reply to your food question). :)

Glad you're planning a veterinary visit. Skin lesions can stem from so many different causes, many of which require specific veterinary medication to fully eliminate them (i.e., anything from a fungal source like ringworm (which is not a worm), to parasitic mites, to allergies, to skin cancer, etc...).

ETA: I'd encourage you to print, complete, and take this (linked) form to your boy's veterinary visit. It's an excellent source to keep/repeat for vet visits throughout the dog's life to gain the most from each visit.

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/first-aid-for-dogs/nursing-care-for-sick-dogs/your-dogs-physical-examination-at-home

Edited by 3greytjoys

IMO he should see a competent (emphasis on competent or you'll just be throwing your money away) vet. That does not look like or sound like 'normal itching' to me and it will probably continue to get worse without a proper diagnosis.

Typically when an adoption group sends a dog to the vet it's for a very basic exam or vaccinations.

Every new pet should be taken to the vet, in my opinion, within a week or two of being adopted/purchased. First, your vet benefits from seeing the dog healthy. Second, baseline blood work is a good idea, and MANY newly adopted pets have parasites. I don't know how common it is for adoption groups to pay for fecal exams...

My dog was neutered at the track. I'm sure the vet who did it was a vet and all, but I'm equally sure that they didn't do much other than knock him out and cut his nuts off!

A routine vet visit in my area is $65 to walk in the door, and then tests are anywhere from $25-$150. Vet care here in New England is very expensive.

Don't try to save money by avoiding the vet. A simple thing can get worse and worse until you HAVE to go, and often it's harder to treat something that isn't taken care of in a prompt manner.

For me, with a very healthy (so far, knock on wood) 4 year old, my annual visit and test, plus any shots he might need, run me a minimum of $250/year. My first greyhound cost me almost $4,000 the first year...and we never did figure out what his problem was!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 3 weeks later...
Guest stereosilence

We went to the vet and they have given me some eye ointment. It seems to be helping and the scabby area is getting smaller. We also have a fecal sample being tested (not sure when I'll get the results). The vet thinks he is allergic to something and said we can give him benedryl or zyrtec.

He has some spots on his coat where tufts of fur have come out. The vet tested him for mites, but it was negative. He seems to be getting sores every once in a while. They are small, almost like zits, but they seem to be open and running. He is also still licking around his tail (the vet expressed his glands). I guess I'm hoping the fecal sample turns up a root cause so we can get it fixed.

I hope it isn't his food because we seem to have just gotten onto something that agrees with him and have rid ourselves of the runny poops and horrific farts.

Classic signs of allergies-what you described sounds like staphpyoderma secondary to allergies.

I good medicated bath will do wonders for him.

A shampoo containing chlorhexadine should be used. If the lesions don't resolve antibiotics may need to be introduced. Your vet saw these lesions?

Seba-Hex by Vetoquinol is a very good shampoo that can really help. It is with a combo of ingredients, chlorhexadine, sufur & salicyclic acid, that seems to work well for my dogs & fosters with mild secondary bacterial & yeast infections. Some of those dogs did also require oral antibiotics.

Note: Over the years I've found that chlorhexadine at levels above 2% has a higher likelihood of causing irritation, sometimes worse than the root issue. Wouldn't choose a shampoo with more than 2% chlorhexadine unless the situation was severe & it was prescribed by a vet.

Guest stereosilence

Yeah, he has little missing patches that the vet saw. She tested for mites. He didn't have any sores (or I hadn't noticed it yet) when we went. He has always had varying degrees of dandruff so a medicated shampoo will probably help him out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Guest stereosilence

I got the Sebo-hex and applied it tonight. A little tougher than a normal bath because it says to let it sit for 10-15 min! Eugene was not pleased. His condition seems to have worsened in the last two weeks and the little sores have spread. He has also scratched the top of his head a few times and caused wounds. The vet said we can give him Zyrtec, so I guess we need to get on that.

How often should I apply the sebo-hex?