Do I Have A Greyhound Mix? Introduction/digital Corns

Guest jroland0482

Guest jroland0482

Hi! My name is Jessica and I recently adopted Charley from an animal shelter in September. She was very close to being pts and is heart worm positive which we are currently treating. I never considered her being a greyhound mix until she presented with digital corns and the things I've read say it's almost exclusively a greyhound issue. I'm wondering if you guys think she fits the bill for a mix because as every dog owner I'm curious about her background and also anything you can tell me about the digital corns? I've read they come back every three to four weeks. I know surgery is an option and hulling, what do you all do for your dogs? She won't be able to do any kind of surgery until we complete her heart worm treatment. Thanks in advance and looking forward to meeting you all!

I am unable to post photos, I'll also take advice on that! Lol

Some Lurchers can look incredibly greyhound-like, especially the smooth coated ones.

Corns are always a nusiance....

Photos are best posted as a link to a photo hosting site if you're a 'newbie'. Copy and past the URL. Embedding for direct display can be done from some of them

I am firmly in the do not do surgery camp.

It is expensive, very painful for the dog (sometimes I wonder how many fans of surgery have had too deal with 24/7 aftercare for more than a day or so) and they come right back - though I wouldn't say as often a 3-4 weeks. My Rex had his before hulling was in vogue, but if he was here today I might try it. :dunno: The only thing that worked for us was duct tape. Cut a piece slightly larger than the corn and change it every 3-4 days. Eventually the corn will pull out with the tape. Hate to sound like a broken record, but quality tape like Duck or Nashua worked on Rex, dollar store brands didn't.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest DarkHorse

We tried the duct tape method on Dexter's one corn and it worked wonders. Took about 2-3 weeks, but it came right out and hasn't yet grown back (it's been ~3 months). We used Duck brand as that's what we had around.

Another fan of the duck tape. Also, we were using a vet who recommended the surgery. I came home, went on line and saw all the people posting about; don't do it, waste of money, they just grow back, etc. I have since switched vets.

Last time I used the duck tape and later on, picked the corn out with my fingernail, it was the size of small pebble. I couldn't walk around with that in my shoe, so, I don't know how these dogs walk around with that as well.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest jroland0482

I'll try the duct tape, she has four rather large ones. I had no idea what they were. She doesn't look like a greyhound at all, which is why I questioned the mix. I'm gonna upload a few pictures so I can post them. If she is a mix I'd love to learn more about the breed!

It's possible, but given her size, if she has any sighthound, it's going to be a smaller one like a whippet. She looks more like a staffie or pittie and terrier cross to me. That doesn't mean you can't stick around and post more pictures of her! She's adorable!

But that doesn't mean she can't have corns. They are seen in other breeds, just not as often. There is a Facebook group "Greyhounds With Corns" that has a ton of information on different treatment options, and lots of people with experience to help guide you. And several other breeds. It's not totally greyhound specific.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest jroland0482

I've thought she was a lab or shepherd mix this whole time. She has a medium length coat. I'm gonna go check out that group now, you guys have been really helpful so far! :)

All that really matters is that she's very cute :)

Good luck with the corns.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Do a DNA test. You can get the Wisdom Panel on Amazon for as low as $60 if you watch the price. Its pretty impossible to determine a dog's breeds based on looks. While many mixes can look like their parents, many look nothing like them. There are of course also imitations to the test but if she has purebred grandparents there is a good chance they can get some of it right. And it's just fun, and they provide a lot of info. I did it with my mixed breed and am glad I did.

Good luck with the corns, they can be such a pita. Therapaws are a nice option to help her walk more comfortably outdoors until you find a solution.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest jroland0482

@tb hounds, I am actually not certain! We noticed this last night and the research led to the assumption that this was corns. I intend to call our vet tomorrow and get her in to have it looked at, I just wanted to go in with some info. I hate not having a clue when something's wrong! I googled the hyper keratosis and it certainly resembles that also, so now I'm not sure!

As far as the dna test goes, it was just kind of a curious question! Especially with the corns, or what I believe to be corns rather! I'll have to look into the therapaws, I've never heard of them!

Just wanted to say that this board is great for greyhounds and non greyhounds alike. There are lots of knowledgeable dog people and the archive of threads helps with research.

Hope you stick around and share more photos/stories.

Good luck!

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

I'm guessing they said "interdigit cysts."

Does she have flat spots that are hard on her paw pads, or lumps between her toes?

That's a pit bull mix of some sort. She's darling, but I see no evidence whatsoever of sighthound. Best dog I ever had was a pit bull mix! Smart as a whip, loyal, brave, and strong as an ox!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck