Joy Again Ate Something She Shouldn't Have

Joy at 2 bags of raisins this afternoon so off we went to the vet. Based on the number of raisins she threw up, they think she may have eaten them within an hour before I got home.

I do have a question: Are organic raisins more or less toxic than regular raisins? She actually ate organic raisins.

A certain little miss will be getting a stool guard this weekend.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Nope. Raisins are raisins. :(

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I don't think organic helps. Grapes, raisins, grape juice, wine--all are forbidden.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

And after the peroxide does its purge, activated charcoal tablets should go down the hatch to absorb whatever toxins they can (my vet mentioned that they'll help with anything eaten within the past 4 hours). Note that they WILL yield charcoal black poop for at LEAST 24 hours ... so don't get scared by that!

Joy seems fine this morning. She ate normally. Her poop was firm. I was outside and when I came in, she bounced around like she normally does. The vet said that if she was going to need more treatment, it would be before the weekend.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Ditto on the peroxide, if you know what she ate. Anything smaller than one of those swiffer dusters that goes on the plastic handle will come back up quickly... We feel your pain with the unexpected eating of things they shouldn't.

I'm a little concerned that you know this well enough to make this a specific comparison :D

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

I'm a little concerned that you know this well enough to make this a specific comparison :D

Yeah...we had Marvin almost 4 weeks, and I watched him strip it off the handle and eat it as I was running across the room toward him in what felt like slow motion. The vet had his IV already in and decided one last time to palpate his belly to feel for it, and up it came...about 20 minutes before they would have had to open him up and remove it. It was the first thing bad that Marvin ate, and it remains the gold standard benchmark for that once or twice a year that he out of the blue decides to consume something inedible and has to go out in the yard with the peroxide.

I'm so glad to hear that Joy is feeling better!

Well, you have a bit of a stinker on your hands :hehe . All advice given here is really good. May I just add, you might want to re-think where you keep food.

I'm NOT judging at all. I'm offering you the voice of experience, if you have a dog that gets into food. I had a grey that would eat anything that was not under lock and key, and he taught it to his sister.

Ever clean a carpet after a dog eats a 5 lb bag of sugar? TRUST ME - you don't want to. :ohno Why did he eat the sugar? I'll never know, but it still gives me nightmares.

Anyway - don't leave any food out. Ever. At all. Put it in a high cupboard, or a closed pantry. Just save yourself the grief, and lock ALL food away.

My angel Sam adored potatoes. He'd manage to get his muzzle off, eat most of a bag of raw potatoes, proudly show me the empty plastic bag when I got home from work, and then spend the night pooping foam.

Back in the days when I had only one greyhound, I had bought air-tight dog food containers that would hold a 15-pound bag of food. Once I started buying 30-pound bags for two greyhounds, I bought bigger containers and had those smaller containers sitting around. I started using them to store people stuff I needed to keep Mr Potato Head out of. And they were great for potatoes.

The current dogs are pretty well behaved, but I don't trust them. Packets and bags and cardboard boxes of stuff they could get into are on upper shelves in my pantry, which has a folding door they can open easily. The bottom shelves get bottled water, ketchup, paper cups and plates, rolls of paper towels, canned goods, and other stuff I'm not worried about. I also use my microwave for short-term food storage, since I'll always open it before I turn it on and don't have to worry about accidentally cooking something I shouldn't cook (which would happen if I stored stuff in the oven, then turned it on to preheat). Tigger's biggest weakness is cellophane wrappers from packages of peanut butter crackers. He'll fish the wrappers out of the trash, even though I've rolled the wrappers tight (with all the good remnants inside) and then tied the wrapper in a knot. He swallows the wrappers whole, then upchucks them on his sister's bed at about 3 in the morning. I'm going to have to start trashing them in a can that's behind a closed door.

It's not just a matter of putting things out of reach to avoid messy clean-ups or untimely vet bills. It's peace of mind, knowing you're not likely to come home to a dog that needs to be rushed to the ER or--worse--a dog that has gotten into something deadly.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

i've been lucky so far, none of my greyhounds and now my saluki lurcher have been counter surfers, bin raiders, and i could/can leave food out on the tables, leave and come back & it's still there. we observe the unwritten rule that if it's on the floor, it's hers. if it's not it's mine. didn't have to train, they just came that way. a good friend of mine however has two lurchers she can't turn her back on. she's had food taken off the top of the refrigerator,, cabinets opened, and has had to put baby locks on all the cabinets and fridge. they'll (gently) take food out of your hand as you try to eat it if you are not paying attention.

anyway, brindlehound, you've been lucky. i've read that they still haven't found what the causative agent is in grapes that poisons dogs, and that some grapes have it to varying degrees and some don't but they can't tell which is which. you must have had a 'good' batch. best to not take any chances tho.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.