Newbie - What Are Good Toys For Young Pup?

Guest lukas_mom

Guest lukas_mom

Hi there, I am a proud new mum of a beautiful pup. She is just over 3months old now. I've never had a grey before - only border collies. So the temprament of a grey is new terrotary to me. I've read that they are very calm dogs and sleep a lot. Because they are prey-driven I am careful as to what to give to her to play with as I also have a cat. But at the same time I dont want to withold any fun stuff from her. Last night for the first time she grabbed one of the cats 'mice' and ran around with it in the lounge. Then she started tearing it apart... Should I allow this? And what type of toys do they like?

All help will be most appreciated!!

All of my greyhound puppies have loved to play with a jolly ball in the yard. I prefer the one with the rope as they tend to chew through handles. In the house I have used go dog toys with chew guard. They do not last forever but last longer than others I have tried. Good luck with pup, they grow up way too fast.

Also, a lure pole was a great toy to use. Don't count on a grey puppy to be calm and reserved, mine have grown up to be more like a lab in a grey body.

Guest lukas_mom

Thanks for the feedback. As I live in South Africa and we name toys differently I'm going to ask you to maybe send me a link of what you are referring to... I do know a lure pole, but not go dog toys with chew guard (?). What is a jolly ball?

Although my girl doesn't care for it that much, the "honking pig" toy is very popular with many greys: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003VY6GSC

Mine's absolute favorite is the Kyjen hedgehog. I like it because it emits a funny low-pitched grunt; the super-squeaky toys get annoying pretty quickly! http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0000AH9UH

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

A grey puppy is pretty rare around here (US) because most of us get ex-racers from the tracks. I'd love to see photos if you get a chance! For toys, just my opinion, but if she's growing up with a cat I wouldn't worry too much about developing a prey drive. She will probably be able to know the difference between the off-limits cat and toys or small furries outside. Have fun with her!

jakesigsmall_zps254e191c.jpg

Photographer in Phoenix, AZ www.northmountainphoto.com

Kili loves stuffed toys and anything with a water bottle in it. She's never been too crazy about rubber toys or hard plastic. I have 3 rabbits and she gets on just fine with them since she grew up with them. The rabbits outside are an entirely different matter.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

None of my sighthound puppies were big chewers so they did not care for hard chew toys. They did like rubber kongs, stuffed toys, lure poles, and water bottles (just make sure that our pup does not swallow any of the pieces). They all liked tennis balls too. We used some frozen soft toys and teething rings during teething times.

I would love to see pictures. :)

Guest Scouts_mom

Just to warn you, the calm, always up for a nap greyhound doesn't appear until they are around 3 years old.

Also, I will repeat what folks have said above: playing with stuffed toys and chasing toys will have no impact on how your pup reacts to your cat.

I've never had a puppy but I had a 2 year old. She loved the grunting hedgehog, a nylabone chew bone and empty plastic milk jugs (I'd flatten them and hand them to her for playing in the back yard. The day before recycling pick-up I would collect them.). Oh, we also had a long stuffed snake with squeakers that was a favorite.

Make sure you get toys that are rated for hard chewers, whatever you get. Puppy teeth are as sharp as razors and can easily go through regular chew toys. But they also need chew toys to strengthen their teeth and jaws. NylaBone and Kong brand toys have lasted the best for us. Toy made out of recycled firetruck hoses. Large ropes and rope knots. Jolly Balls.

We also began to teach her to wear a basket or turnout muzzle around three months old. Sometimes it's the best way to protect your stuff is to not let her chew in the first place.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Plenty of mental and physical exercise, puppy training, and good toys made raising mine relatively easy. I will happily raise more in the future.

I never had a puppy destroy anything that wasn't theirs to begin with. ;) I had a couple close calls but, because I supervise them when they are loose, I was able to stop them from getting into trouble and redirect them to appropriate things. Supervision, training, exercise, and mental exertion can do a lot to make life with a puppy easier. :)

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Guest lukas_mom

Thank you so much for all of your replies - Luka and I appreciate it very much

I will try posting a pic or two...just have to figure out how!

Tuffie toys are excellent as semi-soft, yet very durable toys: http://www.tuffietoys.com/

We like the doughnut shaped Tuffie toys that do not look like animals (or our cats). Our toys have lasted for many years through all of our own Greyhounds and down to 18 month old fosters.

Cat toys are dangerous to have around dogs and puppies. Cats' toys are so small, a puppy or dog can easily ingest them causing an internal blockage. We keep all cat toys locked away, and brought out only for supervised kitty play sessions when the dogs are safely separated in a different room. The only cat toys allowed out (in limited rooms) are small plain pieces of paper wadded up into small balls. (If the older dogs find one, they usually just shred apart a paper ball.)

Puppies try to eat everything and should be supervised around toys. They often chew apart and ingest soft squeaky toys or tennis balls.

By the way, please be careful to not allow her to chase your cat/s. Cats are too easily looked upon as a fun, live squeaky toy.

Congratulation on your new little girl! :)

Frisbee, soccer balls,tennis balls,and a tennis racket for you,seltzer bottles (unopened) and lots of patience. Start obedience classes once all your pups shots are done greyhounds do very well in obedience, especially the pups I just bought a megga sized chuckit!kick fetch ball,felix loves it. Wubbas and other toys were killed in no time. TJMAXX has greatly reduced name brand toys Enjoy ☆☆

Edited by cleptogrey

We have a big basket of toys for our two. The game is for them to take them all out and scatter them around the house. Then the wife and I put them all back and it starts again. That said their preference varies from time to time. If what ever toy they want is on the bottom of the basket they will dig for it. Their preference varies. They seem to like those that squeak.

I know some dogs that have a favorite and won't accept anything else. It is trial and error.

I'm not sure how often your stores do this, but ours puts their specialized holiday toys on sale super cheap after the holidays. I would go buy one of a couple of different kinds while they're on sale and see what she likes.

Also, no cat experience, but lots with greyhounds and rabbits. My first dog was scared of our rabbits (and outdoor ones), Henry was a little interested but left her alone, sadly they are no longer with us but Leo would eat one if he could in a second. It all depends on the dog and has nothing to do with their interest in toys.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.