Food Storage Suggestions That Joy Can't Figure Out.

I'm beginning to think that Joy is a brilliant greyhound. Her food bowls have a storage area underneath and she has successfully got into her food stored there. More recently, her food is in a closed drawer. Over the last couple of days, she has successfully opened the drawer and gotten to her food. I placed a frying pan lid on the bag this morning and she got it anyway.

Currently, her bag of food is in my car. The top of the basement stairs isn't an option since someone inevitably leaves the basement door open.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Vittles Vault. Even Loca and Xavi couldn't break in, despite evidence that they tried.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Memphsmom

LOL Never, never, never put a baby lock on a cabinet with food in it. We had that problem with Memphis, first we tried a wooden spoon through the cabinet handles. He just remover the spoon. Then we tried baby locks, he ate the cabinet. So now his food is in a rubber maid container, in the pantry, with something heavy sitting on it.

We use this container from Sams Club. It is also available on Amazon and other retailers. The lid has a latch that snaps shut. It would be hard for her to get into, but the Vittle Vault that others suggested may be even harder to get into since the lid on those are a screw on.

We use this container because we can just drop the bag into the container. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/pet-food-dispenser-for-60-lb-bags/prod3890003.ip?navAction=

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Wow. Gotta love these houndies. It's when I read these posts, though, that I'm grateful for my kinda boring Annie girl. She won't even pick up a treat that's been dropped accidentally on the floor unless I say, "Get it." She won't go into the kitchen at all so the cat's food is safe. I know it's got to be a pain to have a dog that gets into stuff, but their personalities sound fun!

Edited by Feisty49

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

For the garbage: a SimpleHuman 'butterfly open' (opens from the center when you step on the pedal) metal trash can. I absolutely love ours! It is heavy and opens from the center, so it is hard to tip but even if it does fall over it doesn't fall *open*! Worth every penny and more!

Vittles Vault...now of course, if the human forgets to replace the lid, as happened here over the weekend, all bets are off. :lol

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

• 4 weeks later...

I kept mine in a plastic tote inside my bathroom closet. Sobe could figure out many things, but a closed, latched, door he didn't manage.

For the garbage: a SimpleHuman 'butterfly open' (opens from the center when you step on the pedal) metal trash can. I absolutely love ours! It is heavy and opens from the center, so it is hard to tip but even if it does fall over it doesn't fall *open*! Worth every penny and more!

My Sobe figured that one out. I finally found a stainless one with a step-open lid and a push latch. That worked!

Silvercore%20armored%20car%20-%20Copy.jp

storing it in the back of one of these makes it more difficult. you do of course need a convenient place to park it in the kitchen. structural modifications to your house may require a building permit.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest Lillypad

LOL ha, ha, love the Brinks idea.

Back in the day when I fed kibble (raw now) I stored it in a galvanized steel garbage can. The lid has a lock, but still snaps off and on very easily. The bags I bought were large and I could just set them inside the can, no need to decant the food. And bonus, the "industrial look" is very trendy now... LOL http://www.rona.ca/en/garbage-can-with-lid-1750005--1

Edited by Lillypad