The last month or so Ruby's anxiety has worsened. She has also lost more weight due to her picky eating. Just when I think she is eating so well, she goes on a hunger strike. She is down to 1 cup of kibble on average a day, no matter what we mix in. All her ribs show. She has also become afraid of the sliding door, any noise outside, including kids, the school bus that drives by every day, loud cars or radios outside, rain and on and on. We have decided it is time for a vet visit for meds. In the past we have tried Clomicalm, Xanax, Prozac, and a couple others, all with zero help.

Tonight after hearing a loud car, she panted and shook for over 4 hours, pacing back and forth to her crate. It is painful to watch, and tonight my husband was home to observe. This is happening about every other day now, always in the evening.

Any ideas of what to have the vet check her for ? medication ideas ? This poor girl is suffering and we have to do something. It's so sad.

Karen

Hugs. No medical advice, but I am wondering if light massage or something like the T-Touch system is also worth trying? That would be something you could learn to do yourselves, and might prove reassuring for her. Look into thundershirts, too.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Ask about Trazadone. It didn't make Mazy acted drugged, just calmed, the few times we really needed it. It only lasts for 4 hours. After seeing how frantic she was at the clinic, my vet wanted to observe her there while on the Trazadone. She then gave us the OK to use it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

The anti natural folks' may flame me but please try some Rescue Remedy and other appropriate BACH flower essences (not a knock-off brand but BACH's). Many of us have had remarkable success with them. Sounds like her poor little energy is just going everywhere crazy like. Flower Essences may help her to get herself together. Some holistic vets use them and can help you select the best ones but if nothing else give her some Rescue Remedy(world famous) and mimulus-4 drops each at least twice a day. Competely safe. Doesn't have any contraindications. There is nothing to lose and it might help.

She has had a thyroid panel done and it came back normal. We have tried Rescue Remedy and the Dap Diffuser. I have also bought her most, if not all of the calming remedies that Drs. Foster and Smith have to offer. I did make her an appt. for next Tuesday. I cannot remember if we tried Trazadone or not, but will talk to the vet about it.

This girl is miserable every single night. It is so hard to watch her as you can clearly see how anxious she is. I know I wouldn't want to spend every day like that.

Please keep the ideas coming so that I have a few things to suggest to the vet if he has no more great ideas.

We have tried the Thunder shirt too, and she hated it.

Karen

She has not had a tick panel done but she has never been anywhere that she might have gotten into ticks. This character change is not new. We have been dealing with it since we brought her home 5 years ago. It is just getting worse. We have been looking at getting another smaller dog in the house, which may or may not help her. She is getting so thin she looks awful and we have tried everything food wise.

I kind of feel like my vet is just going to stare at us next week. He has asked us what her quality of life is and that's a tough one. Most of the day she is happy and calm. For some reason around 5 PM most days something will trigger her. It didn't happen tonight though so we are celebrating !!!

Karen

If this is happening primarily near 5:00p and later, Ruby could be showing signs of dementia/sundowners. If you aren't already, I would leave at least a night light on for her and make her environment as bright as possible, and speak with the vet next week about an appropriate medication.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Johberry

Poor Ruby. No useful advice here, but wanted to send you good thoughts and vibes. Hopefully with the right meds, both you and Ruby will be able to get some peace.

Guest k9soul

I don't have much in the way of insight to offer, but I do think any decline in senses can increase anxiety. When my RB senior girl started losing her hearing and later her eyesight declined, she was more anxious and on guard. So maybe a look at her eyes and ears wouldn't be a bad idea. I hope you can get some answers and more importantly that you can find something to help her feel better.

Guest BiancasMom

I agree with tbhounds…Neuro consult. Things that look like anxiety can actually be seizures. Make sure you bring video footage for the neurologist to see. Anticonvulsants such as Keppra may help even if it is anxiety.

Ruby had her appt. this morning and he ended up doing a lot of bloodwork on her, discovering that she has a weak rear end, her teeth don't look too bad, and her breath is horrendous, not caused by her teeth. He thinks it may be a stomach, liver or kidney issue. We are waiting for the labs to come back and will go from there. He said to start her on Pepcid twice daily, Rimadyl if her labs look OK, and possibly Tramadol after he sees the labs.

So right now just waiting and hoping things are OK. He said it might be a good idea to get her teeth cleaned in the next year, but nothing urgent.

Karen

Aquitaine and I went through a bad period where I thought she might be getting dementia, even though our walker/caregiver/friend Kelly told me I was out of my freaking mind. She could not go through the night, at 3-4 am every morning for a year she woke me up with her pacing. We would take a short pee walk but that was not really her issue. Then I read on here in a thread that Denamarin might work for the problem. I reasearched it, it looked fairly benign so I added it to her daily routine. It worked. No clue at all why, didn't really care. It worked and we were back to sleeping through the night within a week or so. I will say it is not cheap at all. The price is mildly better on Amazon than at the vet, but not by much.

Also, a friend tried it with her girl for the same problem and it didn't work, so not a guarantee. Just worth a try.

Rubys labs came back OK. She has a slightly low WBC and he wants to recheck it in 3 months. Everything else was normal, except her Creatinine was about where it always is.

The vet is going to give Trazadone and Rimadyl. He did find a spot on her spine where she sunk down in her hind end when he pushed the vertebrae. Since she is having some trouble getting up, he thought the Rimadyl might help her. The Trazadone is for her anxiety.

Hoping this helps.

Karen