Fleece Coat Vs. Full Winter Coat

Guest rickylou87

Guest rickylou87

Hey All,

We are getting our first grey tonight. He is a beautiful 80lb boy named Keane. Just retired about 10 wks ago. I feel pretty confident with what to expect but the one item I can't quite figure out is how he will tolerate the cold. We live in St. Louis and it ranges anywhere from 40 on warm winter days to -10 (very rare) on really cold days. What kind of coat would I get the most use out of? Should I just go for the warmer full winter coat w/ snood or will there be days when I need the fleece? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

My dogs have a few fleece coats in different weights. There is the blizzard fleece which is very dense and some lighter fleece for wearing in the house as well as outside. My girl sleeps in a cotton t-shirt; the boy in a light fleece. They also have weather coats which are waterproof fabric with a light fleece lining. If it is really cold, they wear this jacket over another fleece. If you want, check out our website, www.houndtime.com, and look at the page of Dog Coat Models. There are several, GT dogs wearing jackets and housecoats that I have made.

Good luck with your new dog. Let us see some photos!

Edited by Houndtime

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I live in Nashville where winter temps are just as erratic (though not usually below 0) so I use both. The heavier coat comes out when it's under 30, but every dog is different; mine tends to do better with cold than heat. This coat from Voyagers K9 Apparel is excellent and many of us here have it.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Annie has a few coats; most are fleece. For cold weather with no wind, she wears a single fleece (the green one in the pictures in the below link). For very cold weather, especially with wind, she wears a double fleece (the red one). Both have snoods with them but generally if it's warm enough to wear the single fleece, she doesn't need the snood. Some Greyhounds are less bothered by the cold. If it were 35 degrees, sunny with no wind, Annie would be too hot in any coat, as evidenced by her panting during the walk. She also doesn't like/need PJs and usually kicks off a blanket I toss over her in the middle of the night when the bedroom temp is only 60 degrees.

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/310457-annies-new-coats-beeee-u-tiful/

It will take getting to know your boy to determine if he runs hot or cold.

Edited by Feisty49

The Voyager K9 Apparel coat mentioned above is excellent. Our dogs wear that one in cold weather and they also have a fleece coat with a snood when the temps are in the high 40's. When it is really cold and we will be outside for a while, like in the dog park early on Saturday mornings, I put the fleece coat under the K9 Apparel coat.

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I really like having both. A basic single layer fleece with no snood and a winter coat with a layer of warm fleece, an outer water resistant layer and a fleece snood. I tend to use the single layer fleece more unless it precipitates, in which case the other one comes out. Also, Zuri tends to run cold and REALLY dislikes the wind so he wears the warmer one more often - just if it's windy or particularly cold. They also have raincoats and it's easy to double up the single layer fleece and the raincoat to make a version of the warmer coat so that might be a money saving option or just to get started.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

If it were me, I'd just get a single fleece for now & see how he does. My Desi is an 80 lb hot rock. He pants on a walk at 40, 30 makes him frisky, and even down

in the teens, if there's no wind and the sun is shining, he'd rather be nekkid. I tried several coats; finally stuck with a double fleece with snood for the really really

cold windy days. Congratulations, by the way. Photos appreciated when you're able.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

welcome to the world of buying dog coats! do talk to your adoption group and see what they suggest- they might even be selling some. we started w/ the group recommended voyager coat and their tummy warmer. a little costly, but the coats do not wear out- the tummy warmer was worn to death, so we got our $$s worth.

i find the Halemar track coat- fleece lined a real workhorse, fits well http://www.halemar.com/Winter-Fall-Lined-Coat-107.htm you can talk to them and give them your dog's length

61709_552623671423620_186574936_n.jpg?oh

i will layer P.J.s or a tummy warmer underneath and a snood until it hits single digits.

sueshappytails pajamas are the only p.j.s that my dogs don't get twisted in at night. they are very versatile and i always take them camping. sue also makes mega warm coats as pictured below- b&w plaid, the red and gray is a voyager. the temp. the day the last pic was taken was a balmy 7degrees.

935167_728029740549678_1920037048_n.jpg?

Guest Bean_Scotch

Mine go with no coats. They're dogs, they go out and they come back inside faster if they don't have coats on...I'm odd owner out but I never put coats, booties, or pajamas on my dogs. ever.

Guest Scouts_mom

I agree that greys rarely need coats to run out and potty. But if you are going to take a walk in the cold, or have extended play time they do appreciate a nice coat. Where I live there is a very cold wind in the winter (straight from Canadian Arctic and through the Columbia River Gorge to my house), so I always make sure to get a coat that has some kind of wind barrier --some fleeces do, otherwise a nylon outer layer works.

Edited by Scouts_mom

If it were me, I'd just get a single fleece for now & see how he does. My Desi is an 80 lb hot rock. He pants on a walk at 40, 30 makes him frisky, and even down

in the teens, if there's no wind and the sun is shining, he'd rather be nekkid. I tried several coats; finally stuck with a double fleece with snood for the really really

cold windy days. Congratulations, by the way. Photos appreciated when you're able.

Yeah, start with a fleece first. I laid out a bunch of money for coats for my new guy, but he runs hot, so I have to uncoat him in the middle of our walk <_<

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest rickylou87

This information is soo helpful. Right along the lines of what I was expecting (I was aware of a collar and coat slush fund but I think I need to up the budget :) ). I think I'll opt for a coat and a fleece, sounds like I'll run into situations where it will be nice to have both on hand. Here is a picture of my new boy (Keane) and our other dog Daisy.

We have both a fleece coat and a heavier coat with an attached snood for both my greys. They wear the fleece for cool to cold days and the other coat in the winter cold weather and snow. The snood comes in handy to keep their ears warm when freezing out. We walk/hike a lot and are outside for long stretches. To just run out in the yard for a potty break, no coats are on.

We were bundled up today - me with down jacket, hat and gloves, them with their coats and snoods. We passed a guy on the trail and he said 'You all match - are they dressed like that for warmth or just fashion?' :). Obviously he knew nothing about greyhounds - and he didn't even see the collars!

Edited by greyhoundlady

Guest normaandburrell

Congratulations, he is gorgeous! I love black hounds. I agree each dog is different. We live in sunny Florida, but still my first grey was happy with a very light coat on when it got down around 40 during our early morning walks. I had to walk him early, so the coat had reflective tape, which made him more visible. My new hound hates to wear a coat even on cold mornings, but will dig and try to nest in his bedding when the temperature at night gets around 65 (we like to sleep in a cold room). So I got him fleece jammies just so he wouldn't wake me up digging at his bedding! (I only have one collar for my hounds.) :hehe

Guest chickenpotpie

Each dog is different, you have to see what yours will do, but being I was raised in that area (I'm from Kansas City) I also still remember how hard the winters were there, and FWIW, I live in Massachusetts now and I like the predictable winters here a heck of a lot more. :)

Basically a single fleece may be fine for now with some sort of rain slicker to be on the safe side. Cold wet dogs are not the business! :hehe Anyway, that may well work fine for you and you'd have made out like a bandit. My diva dog is well... a diva... :hehe she loves water but hates getting rained on. She also loves snow and will roll around in it naked if she has opportunity, but will howl and/or whine if she gets too cold. She's a jammy dog and has several pair..its a good thing I know how to sew!

Summer time is where she loves it, and can handle anything up to 85 degrees, when lots of greys can putter out. It will take a bit of time to see where your pups happy medium is on cold and hot. Your pup is beautiful :beatheart

Lovely pics! Congrats on your new addition!!!

I also noticed that his leash is attached to a martingale collar ... you may want to check some other threads about concerns for leaving martingales on dogs when in the house (they can be a choking risk if they get caught on doorknobs & such). Many of us prefer to keep contact info on our dogs in the house using a tag collar (a 3/4" or 1" breakaway collar), then add the martingale & leash for outside walkies.