Pig Ears

I saw that pigs ears were mentioned in another thread and I am wondering how many of you feed them ? For some crazy reason that I can't remember, I think that I read not to feed them to greys. She is allergic to beef but no other issues that I am aware of. I used to feed them to my Golden all the time and they were a huge hit.

So are they safe to feed ? How often ?

Thanks

Karen

I've fed them as treats before with no problems. They really liked them. Just make sure to check the label to see where they were made. I gave them up to a few times a week.

The only problem I can see is if your dog has issues with eating fatty foods. Pig ears do have a fair bit of fat in them.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I used to feed them years ago, but don't anymore. One of my greyhounds had a serious pancreatitis attack after I gave him a pig's ear so, of course, he never got another one and I just quit giving them to the other dogs as well. I've never tried them again as I've seen several recalls over the years since due to salmonella contamination.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest PiagetsMom

Well, hell's bells......I moved to the pigs ears from the bully sticks because the bully sticks seemed to be an issue for Mirage. I'd also tried the yam chews, and those went right through him. The trainer in the kennel at Gulf used to give cow's hooves, but I'm afraid he'd be swallowing large chunks, so I'd rather not.

I'd really like for him to have some sort of regular chew.....teeth benefits would be nice, but really mostly just because he enjoys it. Karen, I saw your post about the new chew you tried, and I've never heard of those.

Anyone have other safe suggestions?

Due to the fatty content of the pig ears--though we didn't have any problems--I eventually switched from those to a mix of CET chews from the vet's office, Dentastix, frozen chicken feet and frozen turkey necks. The turkey necks do the best job of keeping teeth clean. The others are fed more for chewing enjoyment. I was reluctant about the CET chews because rawhide treats can cause blockages, but the vet told me they are more digestible than ordinary rawhides and pose much less of a hazard. Riley gets one of those daily. The Dentastix are given as an after-dinner treat, the chicken feet are an occasional special treat and the turkey necks are given two days every week as a meal replacement. Riley has gorgeous teeth and REALLY strong jaws. :lol

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Well, hell's bells......I moved to the pigs ears from the bully sticks because the bully sticks seemed to be an issue for Mirage. I'd also tried the yam chews, and those went right through him. The trainer in the kennel at Gulf used to give cow's hooves, but I'm afraid he'd be swallowing large chunks, so I'd rather not.

I'd really like for him to have some sort of regular chew.....teeth benefits would be nice, but really mostly just because he enjoys it. Karen, I saw your post about the new chew you tried, and I've never heard of those.

My long-time grey-owning vet recommended lamb ears (they're not very big but Sweep loves 'em) and beef trachea/moo tubes specifically for their dental benefits. She recommended against pig ears because of the fat content.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Has Mirage tried chicken feet? They don't keep the dogs busy for very long but the chewing action can be remarkable. Not everyone does, but I do remove the nails before freezing the feet, and feed them frozen, 1-2-3 at a time.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I don't feed Pigs ears for 2 reasons. They are very fatty and could start Pancreatitis. Also they are something I cannot get Peggy to give back and that could be disastrous if she was swallowing the thick end.

I know someone who trained their dog to munch on carrots. Put PB on it to start with I think.

Guest lanielovesgreys

I use bully sticks as an alternative to pig ears. I still give them sometimes, but they often give my pups the big D.

Guest PiagetsMom

Has Mirage tried chicken feet? They don't keep the dogs busy for very long but the chewing action can be remarkable. Not everyone does, but I do remove the nails before freezing the feet, and feed them frozen, 1-2-3 at a time.

No, we've not tried those. After seeing that turkey necks were an issue for some pups who weren't raw eaters, I've always been afraid that the raw chicken feet would cause stomach issues for Mirage since he's a dry kibble eater. DH sells chicken, so they'd be an easy aquisition/freebie for us, though. I saw some today that were cured/processed, but DH has a theory that Mirage's issue is with whatever they use to cure/process the bully sticks and other chews :dunno

Edited by PiagetsMom

No, we've not tried those. After seeing that turkey necks were an issue for some pups who weren't raw eaters, I've always been afraid that the raw chicken feet would cause stomach issues for Mirage since he's a dry kibble eater. DH sells chicken, so they'd be an easy aquisition/freebie for us, though. I saw some today that were cured/processed, but DH has a theory that Mirage's issue is with whatever they use to cure/process the bully sticks and other chews :dunno

If you offer them go with the unprocessed, raw feet. I agree with your DH ;)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Not had any issues with pig ears though I don't give that often, cow ears are supposed to be lower fat but last time I gave the dogs those the girls were fine & throp was bit poorly sick/dire rear. Hattie gets chicken feet as she doesn't like raw carrots like throp & pru, for some reason the new ones are much smaller than the last batch pet shop has so just hoping they chew first. They all love the tripe sticks thankfully they're eaten fairly quickly as smell horrible.