Should I Get A Harness And If So Which One?

So I have had Frostie since April 4th and he has been such a dream! He leaves the cats alone, no accidents in the house and he has graduated to being uncrated while my husband and I are at work. He walks well on a leash except when we go to the state park on trails. He isn't much of a puller but if we stop and I let him sniff he gets freaked out if I shuffle my feet in the leaves or dirt! He almost jumps straight up in the air like a cat would if startled.

I was thinking of getting him a harness since I want to do more trails with him but I worry about him getting so startled that he could slip his collar. I'm also wondering if this might go away once he gains more trust with me and the new trails we are on.

I was looking around online at "greyhound harnesses" like the freedom no pull and a spook harness from I believe Majestic Collars but I don't consider him a puller or a spook. So what would you all suggest?

Edited by FluffyDuff

I recommend the Wiggles Wags and Whiskers harness to anyone who wants a non-spook harness. You can get it from various sources, including The GEM Store and directly from 2 Hounds. My girl doesn't pull, either, but I do like it in certain situations (such as attending a fair, where she could get startled -- I just want the added control plus not be using her neck for the actual control). I have the Freedom as well as the Classic and I only use the back connection anyway.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I know they make a specific spook harness, I don't remember who.

However, I have the Wiggles/Wags/Whiskers harness for all of my pups even when they aren't spooks/pullers. My oldest girl Zelda can be jumpy and the harness has worked greyt on her. Noah bounces more than he walks, so the harness has been nice to have on him as well.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I think it's a good idea for everyone to have a harness in their dog's wardrobe because you never know when you might need one for a neck injury for example. I've got a spook harness for my boy, even though he's not a spook, because he has a history of neck problems, and other harnesses we tried didn't fit very well (we didn't try the WWW one though). I think harnesses are more comfortable for them too especially on long walks.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

It would be better, not to mention cheaper, to teach him not to pull. It just takes a little time and effort but it's so worth it.

There are plenty of training resources regarding this available online. I taught Johnny not to pull in less than 24 hours from bringing him home, even when there are exciting things like bunnies about!

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

The Wiggles, Wags and Whiskers harness from 2 Hounds is the one that I bought for our girl Beka. She started out as a puller, and it worked really well. She is more settled down now, but we still use it for her in case the wayward bunny hops by!

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

I also recommend the Wiggles Wags Whiskers (which is now 2Hounds) Freedom No-Pull Harness. I use it on both of my dogs, one is a puller, and one occasionally spooks. I feel more secure with them wearing them. I have also recommended them to several non-grey clients (I am a dog -walker) and they have been great on several breeds that I walk.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Go for the WWW harness. Clarice walks like a dream on lead with her martingale, but, for hikes and road races we use her harness. It's just easier.

It would be better, not to mention cheaper, to teach him not to pull. It just takes a little time and effort but it's so worth it.

There are plenty of training resources regarding this available online. I taught Johnny not to pull in less than 24 hours from bringing him home, even when there are exciting things like bunnies about!

I don't think he is pulling...

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I also have a WWW harness. I always use a harness for hikes, I just feel safer that if he slipped or bolted, he wouldn't hurt his neck. Also, it allows me to use a much longer leash (20 feet or so) which I also prefer for hikes. We hike almost every day, and in the beginning Teague was freaked out by little noises and objects too. I found that after doing it over and over he gradually got used to things, and he is pretty much bombproof now. Frostie will probably become less jumpy once he is more used to it.

I also have a WWW harness. I always use a harness for hikes, I just feel safer that if he slipped or bolted, he wouldn't hurt his neck. Also, it allows me to use a much longer leash (20 feet or so) which I also prefer for hikes. We hike almost every day, and in the beginning Teague was freaked out by little noises and objects too. I found that after doing it over and over he gradually got used to things, and he is pretty much bombproof now. Frostie will probably become less jumpy once he is more used to it.

I would love to use a longer leash like a 10-12 foot one but he will not walk in front of me on the trails. He has to be right beside me which is sometimes hard because the trails can be narrow with some steep sides either going uphill or down into a creek bed maybe 15 ft down. It makes walking side by side quite interesting.

Edited by FluffyDuff

Go for the WWW harness. Clarice walks like a dream on lead with her martingale, but, for hikes and road races we use her harness. It's just easier.

I don't think he is pulling...

So why does she need a harness?

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

The Majestic Spookharness isn't for pullers, but for the situations you just described.

We suggest them for our galgos, since this is the only harness they can't get out.

I agree. It's perfect for a dog who gets Freaks or spooks at anything at all, because you never know if a startled dog will jump forward, backwards or to the side.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest Dancer

Ditto...also....if we are hiking in an area that has some wildlife...I put jingle bells on them. That way the wildlife will 'disappear' before we get there, and less chance of my pups wanting to chase/bolt after that 'bunnie', wild turkey, deer, squirrel, elk, ....

Guest k9soul

I got the WWW/Freedom Harness for hiking with Rudy too when I want to use a longer lead. I just feel better about it so that nothing is pulling or dragging at his neck in those situations. He walks great with a martingale and regular leash for street walks.

I have WWW/ Freedom Harness for Angel since she is such a strong puller. We used a Premier Easy walk harness for a short time. But she was still able to pull. She walks 100% when she is wearing her WWW harness.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Thanks for all the replies! We went to the park and did another trail and he did a lot better today. I'm still planning on getting a harness as I feel if anything it will give me peace of mind!

Thanks for all the replies! We went to the park and did another trail and he did a lot better today. I'm still planning on getting a harness as I feel if anything it will give me peace of mind!

You can always use both for a while.