Unless the infection clears quickly, they will likely postpone chemo. Hope the suture or staple did get ejected and isn't still in there!

There is some evidence that developing an infection post-amp helps the dog in long-term survivability. No one knows why, really, but it does seem that way. So while an infection isn't a good thing, it might not be a bad thing!

Once this clears up, he should be good to go. Most of us have seen our dogs chemo get postponed a time or two during treatment. It happens.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vet called today - they are going to postpone chemo until they can confirm there is no deep infection and things are under control.

Meanwhile...he is learning to get around on 3 legs today...he is sooooo funny. While on a walk today, he figured out how to lift his leg to mark 'his' turf...but hasn't figured out how to wipe his paws (kick the dirt) afterwards. He almost did a nose plant - lol

I am looking for the optimum dosage of Artemisinin to give to my boy Red Raider. I used Artemisinin a long long time ago, but it was for a different cancer than osteo. I came across a good review written by a greyhound owner just a few days ago on the Holley Pharmaceuticals site and thought why not. Red Raider (10 1/2 years old) started limping some some on August 1, but the limp would go away and come back. X-rays on August 15th showed nothing, but then did more x-rays on September 25 and 30. Colorado State oncology department said highly suspicious for osteo and a couple others said most likely. So far I he is not onTramadol and he is doing okay on the Rimadyl (150 mgs. a day). The yahoo board for artemisinin doesn't appear to be very active. Raider loves to run, but is creaky in the back hip area at times. He has fearful of the vet and I elected not to do amputation. He raced at 82 pounds and I am pretty far away from good oncology vets (live on a peninsula off an island).

Our artemisinin was custom made for our dog by Holley based on his weight. And it needed an prescription (I think). You might check with them.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Shermanator

Echo was just diagnosed. This is my 3rd hound of out 3 who I will lose to thia hideous disease. Sherman and Patton were diagnosed later in the disease and passed quickly, but Echo's is early. We have chosen palliative care for her, but I am overwhelmed with everything. She's still her bouncy normal self. Just with a large limp. I'm overwhelmed getting her meds mamaged right, and with the fear of a break. I love this girl, and just need support. Thanks.

I'm so sorry to hear this. We also chose to go the palliative care route with Effie, who was diagnosed a little over two months ago at 13 years old. She had palliative radiation treatment when she was diagnosed and goes back once a month for an iv drip of pamidronate. We may do another round of radiation but want to wait as long as possible. She is happy and healthy, and still runs around the house with her squeaky toys. We don't let her jump in or out of the car anymore, but she's pretty normal other than that. Her pain is under control and she doesn't usually limp. It is so nice to have her feeling and looking good, and to be able to spoil her as much as possible. We have a wonderful veterinary oncologist who specializes in palliative care, and is just the best I could have hoped for in this situation.

I'd love to stay in touch with another person on the palliative journey, so please feel free to reach out if you're interested.

Effie (Nadine's Effie), Carmen (PHX Downtown), & Benny (the chihuahua)

I am sorry to read of Echo's diagnosis. Hang in there.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Shermanator

Echo started the gabipentin (sp?) and is awesome! She's barely limping and is back to her normal, energetic self. I'm in denial over her cancer.

On another note, something is up with our other hound, Travel. She pooped in the house yesterday (we believe it was her,) and she's acting strange, like she did something wrong. She's been sulking and hiding in the bedroom, which is her 'safe' place. We've been very aware of how much attention we pay Echo, and make sure Travel gets the same of everything and is not left out. As for the poop, it wasn't someone getting sick, or like someone didn't make it to the dog door in time. I wonder if Travel feels the stress of Echo being sick? Travel is a very sensitive hound.

The other dogs in the house all know that one of their own is sick. Pooping in the house is also a sign of stress. She may need a bit more exercise, or some help from a DAP diffuser.

Could use a good thought or two for my Wylie. He was diagnosed over 4 months ago with osteo in his rear hock and the only treatment we have done is pamidronate infusions (4 total, a month apart), and pain meds (Rimadyl & Tramadol). We have been so blessed that he has done so well over the past four months that I found myself questioning he even had cancer (got 3 opinions though :( ). He showed no limp, went on normal walks, appetite great, etc, Even my vet is amazed, each x-ray shows the bone calcifying with each infusion. This last month I have decided not to do anything else, mostly because of stress on him, and the fact hat he has been doing so great. Just the last few days he has slowed considerably, and is slightly favoring the leg, plus the tumor seems to be growing in front of my eyes. I have a call in to my vet for next steps and possible increase on meds (including Gaberpentin), but I

am just wondering what to expect. I know everyone's case is different, but the waiting is killing me. I'm also going away next week, on a trip I cannot cancel, and even though he will be staying with a trusted friend who had been through this many times, I am a nervous wreck. It is causing me great anxiety. I don't even know what I am asking I guess, just looking for support and wondering what to expect next. Maybe a prayer for my Wy. I know I am lucky to have had him feeling good these last four months. :heart Thanks everyone.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Stolie had his first chemo today...guess we'll see how he does. Anything I should be on the watch for??

It is 3.5 weeks post amputation and his white blood cell count is a bit low but the vet recommended we go ahead with it as waiting has other problems and everything else is looking great. The abcess he developed post surgery is healed. She prescribed some different antibiotics for him, so hoping it goes okay. He is adapting well to being a tripawd...starting to get the rhythm of how to get where he wants to go.

He just loves going to the vets...he pushes his way in the door...wagging his tail and eager to meet everyone. Hard to believe he loves to go back (lol) - hangs out in the nurses office while waiting his turn, fluffy bed, and a pillow. Guess he figured out where the treat jar is today...

Our boy Dude also loved going to the vet, so our decision to amputate was an easy one for him. He loved going there, even for chemo, and the techs let him lay on a blanket in their office to get it. When it was time for him to cross, they all came and said goodbye - made be bawl like a baby. Good thoughts for Stolie!

Guest Shermanator

Echo is still herself! She is limping; however recent xrays show while she has cancer, the bone is intact, no fear of a break for at least several weeks. We'll keep xraying as long as she feels good to monitor the cancer. We are doing pain management, and she's doing well. Eating with gusto, drinking, barking and most importantly, roaching constantly. She still has her spirit and is happy.

I am struggling. A lot. Everyday I wake up in fear, wondering if today will be the day she takes a turn for the worse. So much anxiety, its really making me depressed. I've lost dogs to osteo before, but they were diagnosed so late that letting them go was an easy descion. Echo is hard to watch and breaks my heart, knowing the cancer is a ticking time bomb.

{{{HUGS}}}

Osteo is such a horrible thief. I felt like I was saying goodbye to our Dude every day for nine months. Even him having good and even great days doesn't take your mind off the fact that *one day* is going to come when it's will be a very bad day.

Love her, and make every day count........................

Guest Shermanator

Biggest problem I have now is Travel. For the past several days she's been 'off'. She's been hiding in the bedroom. I know she's not sick. (That's another story...) We think she's knows something is wrong with Echo. How do you comfort your healthy hound who's companion has cancer and will soon leave? It breaks my heart.