• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest beetle_slayer

I'm so sorry Barbie seems to be having a tough time. Just from experience, the first two weeks are the hardest ones. You are braver than I was to bring her home so soon. We left our boy in the hospital for 5 days post-surgery to be sure he was over the meds, and up and walking around on his own. They were great with him and we had a few extra days to get over the shock of a whirlwind weekend of very hard decisions.

Why did your vet take her off tramadol? The most effective pain releif seems to be from a trio of drugs working in concert - tramadol, gabapentin, and an nsaid (as tolerated). Tramadol and gabapentin have large dosing ranges so they can be adjusted as needed.

I'm also sorry to hear about Effie. HUGS to you and your family. My grandmother's name was "Effie." :wub:

He wanted her off tramadol by this coming Monday when her staples come out. My wife and I have noticed how out of it she seems at times. As tramadol will do this, he recommended laying off of it. I am not afraid to give her a pill if she needs it though. This evening she seems to be doing fine though without it. Ideally leaving her for several days would have been great, but cost was a major factor. My vet is super wonderful. His degree is 1969, so he has seen a dog or two. He is so great, I met him in July for her dx and decided to let him cut my baby's leg off. Very matter of fact but not a cold hearted s.o.b.

Beetle_slayer, I'm sorry your girl was diagnosed and that you and her are having troubles post amp. It is a very emotional and stressful time however typically it gets better and both your pup and you are rewarded with months of happiness. You are right that there are no winners in this battle and you have chosen a path out of love for your girl, try not to regret it as she will improve and yes it's possible that she has phantom pain. There are solutions for this if this is the case. We have gone down the same path and our boy survived another 21mths happy and loving life. I wish you and your girl that and more, don't count her out and don't regret your choice.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Why did your vet take her off tramadol? The most effective pain releif seems to be from a trio of drugs working in concert - tramadol, gabapentin, and an nsaid (as tolerated). Tramadol and gabapentin have large dosing ranges so they can be adjusted as needed.

I'm wondering this too? Henry was on Tramadol (acute pain), Rimadyl (nsaid, anti-inflammatory), and Gabapentin (nerve pain) for two full weeks following his amp. We did wean him off the Tramadol by cutting the dose in half after the first week, then in half again for the remaining three days. He slept a lot during that time, definitely, but there was never a time when I thought his pain was out of control.

EffieGrey, I'm so sorry to hear about Effie's diagnosis. I hope the appointment with the oncologist goes well. We'll be thinking of you and Effie.

beetle_slayer, I hope you and your vet can get Barbie's pain under control. Do you have smooth floors? If so, it might be helpful to lay down some area carpets for her. We did that for our Lana and it helped a lot. Initially we didn't put down enough and she slipped, so then we put down area carpets everywhere. I'd be willing to bet our Target store had never sold so many area carpets all at once.

Guest beetle_slayer

I took her off the tramadol and she seems fine with the previcox and gabapentin. After trying to hand feed her this morning, she cried a little as it seems her neck, back, or amp spot are hurting. We took her off the previcox as her liver values were too high. I hand fed her so she could take her meds as she is not a big eater especially in the morning--never has been.

After 24 hrs since her last tramadol, she seems to be good. Her spirit is better as her tail wagged and she gave me a kiss this morning. She got off the couch just a bit ago (lunch time check-up) and just a slight whimper and then nothing. Tramadol wouldn't have helped that anyway.

All in all, the higher liver values from the previcox are ok because the pain control. Liver problems most likely aren't gonna be what ends her life.

She seems to be on the mend now and the soonest chemo I can get her is Sep 10. I hope we are ok until then. Being positive.

Guest beetle_slayer

I know we aren't out of the woods yet as far as healing goes, but with just previcox and gabapentin she is doing just great. Giving kisses and came running in when I called her. She even ate a full meal with her homemade squares and kibble. She cried a little at first when trying to take a bite from my hand because of pain in her neck or back could be from the muscles healing. Once she gets going she is ok. Going away from greytalk for a bit to just be there for her. Thanks for the encouragement in letting me know I'm not alone in this when I am questioning everything. We may never truly know what the best path was, but we all can be sure that we don't want to take the worst path.

Getting more rugs down, but the problem came from slipping on the tile trying to lay on the cold hard floor to soothe herself. I think we have it figured out now. She is not too active and very lazy will help her in the recovery. She was such a happy girl. I see glimpses of happiness around each corner.

I am glad your girl is doing better. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry that osteo has been confirmed in Effie. It sounds like you have a great oncologist to work with on her treatment. I hope you have a very long time to still spend together.

Beetle_Slayer, I'm glad to hear that Barbie seems to be recovering well now. I can't imagine dealing with a same-day amputee at home - I had a tough time with Twiggy, and she was 6-days post amp when I brought her home (I had a 6-hour drive home, so I didn't want to risk anything). I hope everything continues to get better exponentially from here!

It's great to hear how great Jaynie is doing - what a fun hound she is!

Yesterday was Twiggy's 3-Year ampuversary. I can't believe how well she has done. What an adventure with my nutty little girl! She continues to surprise me and make me smile every day!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Wow, congrats to Twiggy on 3 years! She's truly an inspiration. While Twiggy's case may not be representative of what to expect with most cases of OSA, she's an example of what's possible...

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti:confetti

YOU GO TWIGGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Wow, congrats to Twiggy on 3 years! She's truly an inspiration. While Twiggy's case may not be representative of what to expect with most cases of OSA, she's an example of what's possible...

I wish it were much more representative of what to expect. I don't even specifically recommend the amp/chemo route to people who ask me, because I know how rare she is.

On the other hand, I had people (greyhound people) tell me that I could expect about 18 months regardless of which method I chose, and it would be better for her to have all four legs for that amount of time. I am so glad that I chose the route I did, but know things could have been very different

I haven't taken any time for granted. I hate to even book hotel reservations for greyhound trips more than a month in advance because I don't want to make any assumptions about the future. That just means that I try to make sure every day is a good day, just in case.

I forgot to tell Twiggy's other good news - she had her 3-year follow up at her oncologist's last week, and both he and the radiologist agree that her chest films are still clear! So we do a happy dance for that as well!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest beetle_slayer

So happy for Twiggy!!! I had first consult with oncologist today. Chemo starts Thursday. We are living one day at a time. Back on meds for pain. She has pinched nerve, or herniated disc in her neck--Dr. found it during exam and made her yelp! Relieved to know where it is so I can watch for it. It does seem to be getting better and it popped up all of the sudden after her amp, so we don't really think it is a tumor. We are doing the 4 rounds carboplatin, and then he wants to talk about Paladia. I told him let's get through one thing at a time. Twiggy gives hope--I know it is a rarity but also reminds that sometimes there is a speck of light at the end of the tunnel. Still hard but am beginning to cope better. She was between a grade II and III with no definite evidence of vascular intrusion. The pathology report seemed like she might have been in an average state compared to others. I'm hoping and praying for as long as we can with this happy girl! She walked all the way around the big 2 story multi-vet office complex and pooped right next to a very busy street! That's my girl!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure most of you know already since any news about cancer gets our attention. The 8th Miss Nellie Auction is live and runs until September 15th at 10:00 pm. (or 15 min after the last bid) Funds raised from this auction will be given to the Greyhound Health Initiative for cancer research on greyhounds and eventually help with treatment of cancer in greyhounds. Auction Link

There are some great items in this auction, but I wanted to point out this one that has no bids yet. If anyone is looking for jammies for their rear left tripod these cute ones have no bids. They were made for Suzie Collins Maggie Mae who was a 5 year and 3 month cancer survivor.

Link to Jammies087a.jpg

Edited by HopeForHounds

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't posted about Jaynie in quite awhile, but she is doing great, 6 months post-amp yesterday. I have no camera skills at all, but a friend-of-a-friend took some of my pictures and made them look the best possible in this Youtube slide show - if you watch it be sure to have your sound turned on:

Jaynie Runs

I haven't posted about Jaynie in quite awhile, but she is doing great, 6 months post-amp yesterday. I have no camera skills at all, but a friend-of-a-friend took some of my pictures and made them look the best possible in this Youtube slide show - if you watch it be sure to have your sound turned on:

Jaynie Runs

She looks so happy and beautiful as always :wub:

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

bumping to the top

If this thread is not going to be used much anymore, maybe it's time to let it end?

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I wish it were dying down because osteo is being diagnosed more and more infrequently. Unfortunately that is not the case. It's a shame that people don't use this thread for the wealth of information it contains and support from others who have or are going through the same thing.

Mary, I should have commented when you first posted this, but I wanted to let you know that it made my day to see Jaynie running around like she was in that video. I hope she is still doing well.

My boy has been diagnosed with osteo and is 2 weeks post amputation...so far doing pretty good. I noticed a bit of blood soaked through his bandage a couple of days ago...he was at the vet yesterday to have the sutures out, and the vet said that there was a puncture wound. And that the puncture was from the inside out...likely a suture or dead tissue or something that was be ejected by his body. The vet did a swab, and gave us some antibiotics. It seems to be pretty painful for him...

Has anyone experienced this before? Does it heal up quickly? Is there likely a bit more of this to be expected?

He is scheduled to start chemo on Monday - but not sure if the chemo will start as planned.