Guest Prematurelygrey

So sad to be joining this group. Tomorrow will be 2 months to the day that we had to send our 13-1/2 year old heart hound, Mohican, to the bridge after long decline due to LS and probable osteo himself towards the end. Today, we left an appt at the e-vet with an osteo diagnosis for our 10-1/2 year old, Matawan. The e-vet recommended amputation, of course. We just don't know what to do and all I keep thinking is, I can't go through this again so soon. I'm still mourning for Mohican and don't feel emotionally up to deciding the best thing to do for Matawan. As others have noted (and it's been such a relief to read, since I'm been wondering what I missed before today), he was fine yesterday, but went totally lame literally overnight. I think we're in shock - I'm alternating between hysterics and feeling numb. I've long lurked on this board and have always been grateful for the advice and information I've found here - there's such a wealth of it, I've never had to post. So I think I'm finally posting in a shameless plea for sympathy....I'm so, so sad & I don't know how to find my way through the sadness to what is the right thing to do for poor Matawan....

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prematurelygrey :grouphug, your post brought tears to my eyes. I know your pain, I went through this last year. It wasn't osteo, but two different cancers that took two of mine within five weeks of each other. You don't even have time to sufficiently mourn the one before your faced with the prospect of losing another. I'm so sorry about your loss of Mohican and now this devastating diagnosis you've been given for Matawan.

Kelly, this is probably crazy sounding, but have you talked to Travel about Echo's cancer? I wonder if she is unsure of her role in all of this. If you were to tell her how important she is to you and how much you need her it would give her a purpose to focus on instead of not knowing where she fits in right now.

Dancer, how has Stolie been doing? Did he have any issues with his chemo?

My thoughts and prayers are with all traveling this awful journey with your beloved hounds. :grouphug:hope

Matawan's mom: Try to find a veterinary oncologist to talk with. One important consideration is whether the cancer has reached your boy's lungs. And you might want to send the x-rays to Dr Couto for a second opinion. (I think his contact info is in the first post in this thread.)

Another thing to consider is how mobile Matawan is now, his general health, how well he tolerates vet visits and procedures, and how well he's likely to manage whatever stairs and floors and entrances you have at your home. Greyhounds typically do well on three legs, but complications such as corns or old injuries can make things more difficult.

Don't worry just now about making the decision. Round up your info, because it may make the decision clear.

I'm so sorry you're facing this. Come back and talk to us whenever you need to.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am so very sorry to read of Matawan's diagnosis and your recent loss of Mohican. That is too much in a short period and we have been there losing both our boys two months apart at 9.5yrs and 8.5yrs. One of our boys passed from cancer that had spread 21mths post amputation so he did well and we were lucky to have him that long.

The choice you make for Matawan is your own and it's never the wrong one. We are all here to help you any way we can and support you through this.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Prematurelygrey :grouphug, your post brought tears to my eyes. I know your pain, I went through this last year. It wasn't osteo, but two different cancers that took two of mine within five weeks of each other. You don't even have time to sufficiently mourn the one before your faced with the prospect of losing another. I'm so sorry about your loss of Mohican and now this devastating diagnosis you've been given for Matawan.

Kelly, this is probably crazy sounding, but have you talked to Travel about Echo's cancer? I wonder if she is unsure of her role in all of this. If you were to tell her how important she is to you and how much you need her it would give her a purpose to focus on instead of not knowing where she fits in right now.

Dancer, how has Stolie been doing? Did he have any issues with his chemo?

My thoughts and prayers are with all traveling this awful journey with your beloved hounds. :grouphug:hope

My heart goes out to you ❤️. I can not imagine the heart ache you must feel. My thoughts are... there is no right decision on how to treat this illness...both choices have can bring more pain and more love and joy for you and your pup.

One of my two pups recently had an amputation and the first two rounds of chemo...he is doing well. But there isn't a day that goes by (since the diagnosis) that I don't wonder if, at the very end, if my decision to go this route, will result in more moments of pain for my boy, I know he won't live to a ripe old age (he is 6 years now), but We wanted to give him a chance to fight....so we decided to go for amputation/chemo. I am grateful that I get to make this decision....10 years ago, I did not have the financial resources to do this.

There isn't a night that I don't wake up and hug my boy and cry many tears...he is my heart hound. I had no idea you could love a dog this much.

Best wishes for you and your pup ❤️ No matter wha happens or what decision you make ...your pup still knows you love them and they still love you,

Edited by Dancer

Stolie update - 6 weeks post amputation and two chemo sessions

The vet is very pleased with his progress...the post surgery infection is a distant memory. And at home, Stolie seems back to his usual antics....playful, affectionate and loving his walks. But he does seem to feel that the extra attention he has received lately is his 'birth right'. Extra treats are required on demand. Gosh I love this boy! Very grateful I get to have more time with him. And , on a serious note, he seems to be more affectionate than before.

DSC_0303_zps3e26d305.jpg

Edited by Dancer

Guest Shermanator

Echo passed away peacefully last night. We are so sad. She was a great pup. She was always up for something, full of excitement. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the osteo pups and their families. She fought it until the end, but it was time to let her go with dignity and grace. She was a good girl, and we miss her terribly. Thank you for your support, everyone.

Go Stolie! Keep up the good work! So happy to hear his progress!

I'm so sorry Echo had to leave you.

Godspeed, sweetheart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry for the loss of Echo. She was a brave girl.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I am so sorry for your loss of Echo.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Our thoughts go with you as you deal with Echo's loss................

Go Stolie! Many of us have commented here about how our tripods become sort of "more" than they were before. Glad your having times with him to make positive memories. :kiss2

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

so sorry about echo. every time i read about another pup having this, it breaks my heart all over again. :(

also, thinking about matawan's parents...i know it's so hard to go through this. my thoughts are with you and

you can get sympathy here any time!

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest Prematurelygrey

So very sorry to hear about Echo. Your news has be crying again, just when I thought I'd wrung myself out. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you deal with your loss.

Thank you to everyone who had kind words for us. I'm grateful for the kind support and all the guidance and information that can be found here. The radiologist at the vet hospital had said Matawan's lungs looked good (with some age-related something-or-another's that were normal). We had Matawan's X-rays reviewed by Dr. Couto. He confirmed cancer & recommended amputation as well. He said Matawan's lungs were clear, which is good news. We spoke to our primary vet the following day, who also said she did see the cancer on the x-rays as well. So that's 3 concurring opinions, unfortunately.

We're still trying to decide what we want to do, but had a consult with a surgeon yesterday. The surgeon immediately started off with saying we needed to get a full CT scan on Matawan because there wasn't enough detail on the X-ray for her to be sure he had osteo or that his lungs weren't involved. Needless to say, I felt a bit like the rug had been yanked out from under me, as I'd just started to make my peace with the fact that Matawan is sick & she was making it sound like we were back to diagnostic square one. But after further conversation, I think her intention was not to challenge the diagnosis, but to rule in surgery as the best option for Matawan, if that's the avenue we were going to go down. If his lungs are involved, she wouldn't amputate; if there is a tumor elsewhere in his body & the bone cancer is secondary, she wouldn't amputate. (She did later clarify she would amputate for pain relief, but she generally only considers amputation if it will increase his long term survival, which is fair.)

She also said in her opinion, even if we opted for palliative radiation, the oncologist would also want a CT scan.

Just wondering if others on this board have received similar advice? Has your path been X-ray to action or is CT scan a normal next step?

Jaynie had an abdominal ultrasound prior to the surgery. In her case the vets had already agreed her lungs were clear. Maybe ask if an ultrasound, which does not require sedation or anaesthetic, is OK.

If you go the CT scan route, I would ask if it's feasible to go directly from scan to surgery if the scan is clear, so Matawan doesn't have to go under two anaesthetics so close together.

Please keep us posted and know we are behind you all the way.

It probably has been done, though I don't ever remember a vet recommending and whole body CT scan before. Perhaps an ultrasound of the abdominal cavity if there's some indication the cancer might have metasticized there already, but lung xrays have been the usual second step once an osteo diagnosis has been confirmed.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I would appreciate that the surgeon doesn't want to jump blindly into surgery, as some seem to. A full body ct scan seems like a lot, but if it could give a better indication of success of amp vs. palliative care, it would probably be worth it.

fwiw, I took Twiggy to OSU after Dr. Couto's team reviewed her rads, and he recommended amp. (they did fna and chest rads there before surgery, but no ct scan)

I am so sorry you are facing this decision. It is a terribly difficult one to make, whichever way you decide.

Sending good wishes for you and Matawan...

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest Prematurelygrey

Thanks everyone for your answers to my questions. Horrible day today, when I just wanted to curl up & pretend none of this is happening.

After much soul-searching and time spent reading more of the postings here, we've decided not to pursue surgery for Matawan. Just thank you to everyone who has posted their stories here, as it has helped guide our thinking. Especial thanks to A-Daerr for her post to this thread in early August, talking about the differences between her two dog and how she thought they would respond to amp. Her Truman and our Matawan sound like kindred spirits & it was really meaningful to hear someone who'd been through amp with one dog say it's not necessarily an option for all. I think we were feeling like we'd be failing Matawan if we didn't pursue the most aggressive options available, but we've come to realize the opposite is actually the case for him. We're trying to get on the oncologist's schedule for discussion of palliative options for him. Feels better to have reached a decision - now to keep the doubts and second-guessing out of my head.

Matawan, meantime, apparently never got the message that there's something wrong with him. He's still doing mad acrobatics on our couch when we come home from work (although that sends my heart lurching into my throat, fearing a break). He seems to be on a relatively low dose of pain killers, compared to what I've seen others post: 50 mg Deramaxx, 1x per day; 50 mg Tramadol, 3x per day and he seems perfectly comfortable and happy. Of course that feeds the voices in my head that say, "maybe everyone's wrong, maybe he just had a sore paw after all last Sunday." Yeah, and de'nile ain't just a river in Egypt. Still, grateful that he's well managed & we've got plenty of room to maneuver dosages upwards, as we need.

Thanks again to everyone keeping us company on this journey & everyone who has shared their experiences in the past.

I haven't given a Twiggy update in ages, but she is doing great! We've had some more milestones

On 10/21 she turned 10! amazing for a dog who was diagnosed before her 7th birthday! She is now 3.25+ years post-amp and her back issues have actually been better recently. I've been able to cut back her pain meds by about 1/3, and she is even more active than she was last spring/summer while getting the higher dosages.

December 1 will be her 7th Gotcha Day. I am so fortunate to be spending my life with this nutty little girl who wakes up every day with joyful anticipation of the adventures it will bring!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Twiggy is an awesome testimonial to perseverance! Congratulations to both of you!!