Severe Pancreatitis, Non-Greyhound

On Valentine's Day my friend's 16 year old Jack Russell terrier licked up a lot of cooking oil from a deep fryer kept outside. She thinks that a raccoon knocked over the container and removed the lid.

Little Daisy had otherwise been in fair health, on a healthy diet, and had mild arthritis. This episode with the oil caused her to be lethargic. By Saturday the vet was treating her for suspected pancreatitis. He allowed my friend to bring Daisy home and continue treatment there.

She has an IV line in place. Is getting saline plus 2 liquid meds injected into the port - something to keep her very calm. All this was relayed to be my friend's mom and she does not know the name of the meds. No food or water by mouth. She must be this way for 3-4 days. She will be checked by the vet again tomorrow.

Here's something I've never heard of before: During the initial testing the vet tech reported that the blood sample was of no use. There was so much of the cooking oil in her system that it was in her bloodstream.

Has anyone had a dog recover from an extreme case like this?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

When Indy had pancreatitis, his blood test was useless due to all the fat in his bloodstream. However, he did not require an iv for treatment and he fully recovered. Sending good thoughts cor your friend's pup.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Cindy, did they recheck Indy's blood after a few days to see if it still had fat in it? How many days from the onset of severe symptoms to getting better?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Poodle's was very acute after my sister fed him bacon while I was asleep. He was drinking, then throwing up in an arched pose like a Halloween cat. It was about 4 years ago but I seem to remember it was so clear cut I don't believe that my vet did bloodwork (tho some will disagree with that). He spent one night on an IV and I took him back the next two days for sub Q fluids.

Tell her to keep an eye out for symptoms of diabetes in the future. Poodle's was so severe it resulted in diabetes.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Some years ago, one of my greyhounds had pancreatitis at about age 12, the cause was not as obvious as this, but she received IV fluids at the vet during the day for 3 consecutive days and she fully recovered, we got to bring her home each night. Her symptoms started as not eating on a Friday, got her to the vet Monday am and she was fairly recovered in about a week from the onset of symptoms and back to her old self in about 2 weeks. She lived to be almost 16 and never had another bout of it.

Best wishes to Daisy :beatheart

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Ducky, his blood was not 're checked. His attack happened quickly after he had eaten a lamb neck. Like Poodle, he began to retch in the arched position and I took him in right away. He had to have surfactants and some other type of medication. And I bad to watch him and sure be was drinking . I wish I could remember more but it was about 5 years ago. Please keep us posted on how she does.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Likely antibiotics being pushed with the saline. After Sutra was discharged he had to have Clavamox and Zeniquin orally for a couple of weeks.

Had a heck of a time getting him to eat again. I have a billion tricks - if they're needed, PM me :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Don't judge the severity by the blood sample. Fat in the blood messes with a lot of tests. Not all, but a fair number. There are ways around that for some tests.

Nothing by mouth for a couple days is standard for pancreatitis.

I hope your friend's pup makes a good recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The blood may have been too lipemic to receive accurate values, however, the lab usually will indicate which values need to be adjusted. Another thought--with extreme pancreatitis cases sometimes the lipase and amylase are usually are too elecated or off the scale to receive an accurate value without diluting the sample-perhaps that's what your friend meant? Did the vet run a very specific test called a spec cpl??

Traditional treatment for dogs (not cats) with a bad case of pancreatitis is to fast them (nothing by mouth at all), run IV fluids, IV antibiotics, IV anti acids ie famotidine and pain meds (most often optiates). Contingent on response the pet will slowly be offered sips of water and then, eventually offered tiny bits of a low fat food (E/N-I/D..). Hope she feels better soon :-)

Daisy didn't make it despite tremendous efforts to save her. :(

tiny hada siggy.png

Aww, Ducky, I'm so sorry. Condolences to little Daisy's family and her friends.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Oh no. I'm so sorry. Please express my condolences to her people.

Godspeed, sweet pea.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh, no. Please tell Daisy's family how sorry we are. Godspeed, Daisy.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

:cry1 I'm so sorry :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--