Tylan Capsules Vs Powder

Dunno about capsules but when giving the powder, I just flatten a blob of canned food, dump the powder in the middle, fold it up into a meatball, and down the hatch it goes. One of my dogs did bite into one once; some fell on the floor, and she proceeded to lick it all up again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I have never been able to obtain it as a capsule--only as the loose powder.

Around here, it was a piece of turkey lunchmeat, with a spoonful of peanut butter (crunchy) flattened out on the lunchmeat. Sprinkle the tylan on the peanut butter, roll the whole thing into a tube (and squeeze the tube a little, so that the powder really sticks to the peanut butter and lunchmeat), and pop it down the victim's--er, patient's--throat.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I used to use a tiny bit of garlic powder in Minnie's Tylocine (=Tylan here) powder.

Fortunately, I can get both powder (for those who will eat it) and tablets (for those who won't).

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest OPointyDog

I just dumped the powder on Mika's food. He will eat anything and gobbled it right up. You never know - maybe she will eat it! Some dogs are pickier than others.

I just mix Hopper's in with his food (kibble, canned food and water). He's never seemed like it matters. :dunno

I haven't ever seen it come already in capsules. Everyone I know who uses it this way has to fill the caps themselves.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Badger is on it, and for about 3 months I could just sprinkle it over his food and he ate just fine. He stopped eating it so willingly about a month ago, so now I mix it with about 2 Tbs canned food (that was easier for me than trying to contain it inside the meatball) and he'll eat it off the fork or out of his bowl if I drop it in.

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

i just open felix's mouth and place the tylan powder on the very back of his tongue and close his mouth. it's over is less than 2 seconds. my vet prescribed a large pinch- he has big fingers. so, i saw the amount in his mouth when it was administered in the office and played around, it's a lean 1/4 teaspoon. the canned food or inside a wedge of laughing cow cheese will be easier than makings capsules. aren't they available on amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Capsule-Machine-00-Kit/dp/B006OQ4316

Edited by cleptogrey

When James was on it a while back, we didn't know it tasted bad b/c he ate his food with no problems. After reading on here that it tastes nasty, DH decided to try it. :rolleyes: *sigh* He said it was so bad he could no longer feed it to James without trying to cover it up, so we took to concentrating it in a small pile in his food, then covering that area with a lot of honey (James also needed to gain weight, so the extra calories were of no concern to us).

When Clay was on Tylan powder for IBD, I had to buy vegetable capsules and fill them myself. It was my favorite activity but did not have yummy options to mask the horrid taste due to his food sensitivities.

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Same here. If you don't have food limitations, it's probably different. But with them, we opted for capsules. Not hard to fill at all. Size 00 yields 1/8 tsp. IIRC.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest MorganKonaAlex

For Morgan I was buying Tylan powder and filling empty capsules with it. I bought the first batch of capsules from a local compounding pharmacy. Later I was buying the capsules on-line. I think it was Lambert Vet Supply but searching the website I'm not coming up with the correct keywords to find it.

I just did a google for 'capsule 000'. Lots of hits. size 000 is what I used. From my notes, size 00 had a 1/4 teaspoon capacity.

• 4 weeks later...

My specialty vet is now prescribing Tylan for our senior girl, Molly, with chronic diarrhea issues (all diagnostic done except biopsy--will wait on that for now).

Did you find any better sources/prices for Tylan/tylosine on the internet with an Rx than through your vet?

The specialty vet wants to try Molly on the Tylan for only a week & if no improvement, biopsy &/or steroid therapy. Sounds like many of you use Tylan for an extended period--am I understanding this incorrectly? What do you Tylan users think about such a short duration?

If it's going to work, it should start working within that week.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Whereabouts are you? IIRC my vet charged just a couple bucks for a little container of Tylan powder. Maybe some other folks can weigh in on that.

I give my whippet tylan powder since she has stomach problems for years. she is 15. I buy the capsules on amazon. there is a fast simple capsule filler little plastic thing that fills 50 to once. done is 10 minutes. Cost $10. Cheapest places is Tractor Supply Company or Amazon for the powder . Get both capsules and Tylan Powder in 1 purchase on amazon. Pop it into the back of the mouth and done. Try a few granules of it, it is ungodly awful !!!! Capsules are a life saver.

No need for prescription for the tylan powder.

I'm wanting to fill my own veggie capsules with the Tylan powder for Molly. Can anyone tell me what size capsule to buy that will hold approx 1/4 teaspoon? Is size 00 correct?

MorganKonaAlex: how much powder did size 000 hold?

Thanks for your help!

For Morgan I was buying Tylan powder and filling empty capsules with it. I bought the first batch of capsules from a local compounding pharmacy. Later I was buying the capsules on-line. I think it was Lambert Vet Supply but searching the website I'm not coming up with the correct keywords to find it.

I just did a google for 'capsule 000'. Lots of hits. size 000 is what I used. From my notes, size 00 had a 1/4 teaspoon capacity.