10-Year-Old Limping

Guest mrs

Hi all. I'm so worried about my boy Smitty. He's been limping since Thursday (3 days ago). I was hoping he just twisted his right front leg strangely and the limp would go away, but it hasn't. I have an appointment to see the vet tomorrow so they can do x-rays. I lost my last greyhound to osteosarcoma, so obviously my brain went immediately there. I'm going crazy waiting until tomorrow.

Heavy prayers for Smitty. I have a tripod getting chemo treatment right now. It is never easy and it is ALWAY in the back of our mind.

Please keep us posted.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Could it be a corn forming ?? :goodluck

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I understand your fear, hopefully it's a soft tissue boo boo or a sliver in his paw. One time Carl was limping on a front leg, I looked at his front paws with a flashlight, saw nothing. Did it again a few days later and found a sliver that must have worked it's way to the surface. I hope it's some thing that simple for your boy.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I've checked his pads and in between his toes more times than he cared for. He probably thinks I'm crazy. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing anything. Thank you for all your thoughts. I'll let you know what the vet says tomorrow.

Sending good thoughts. :hope Please keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Good thoughts for you boy Smitty. A limp can be caused by many things as you know however I understand your concerns about OS and you are doing the right thing with getting x-rays. Please keep us updated when you can.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

our 10 year old Nube started limping a year ago July and yes, it was osteo. Sending many prayers it's not the case for your baby :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

The vet was unable to get an x-ray today as they are going to have to sedate Smitty. With the holiday, I'll take him in on Thursday morning. Sadly, I also brought in my foster dachshund to the same appointment who was very sick and had to be put to sleep, so maybe it's for the best that Smitty's x-ray wait until Thursday. I'm so sad right now.

So sorry about your foster. Sending good thoughts for Smitty. :goodluck

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thank you all for your thoughts. It's been a rough day. Smitty, unfortunately, seems to be getting worse rather than better. He still has a great appetite and doesn't let it get him down, but his limping seems more painful to me. We can't get the x-ray until Thursday because of the holiday, so I got some Rimadyl for him to try to help ease some of his discomfort. I know if it's OA it probably won't do much though. I'll keep you updated on Thursday after I hear. Have a happy new year everyone.

The Rimadyl doesn't seem to have done anything, so my hopes are fading fast that this is anything but osteosarcoma.

Smitty's brother died of osteosarcoma last year. Does anyone know if that give Smitty an even higher chance of getting it? I posted this in the thread about Trey but thought I'd post here too.

This waiting game is hard, but with the holiday I have to wait until Thursday.

Sorry to hear you need to wait till Thursday--I'm not very good at waiting myself. If he becomes very uncomfortable you may need to take him to an Evet. Try to restrict his activity as much as possible in the meantime. Sending positive vibes your way.

Edited by tbhounds

I'm sorry he's still in pain and you have to wait. :grouphug:hope

I'm doing the happy dance! X-rays didn't show any signs of bone cancer. I'm going to keep him on Rimadyl for a two-week course and evaluate after that. If he's still limping, they want me to see an orthopedist.

Guest k9soul

I'm doing the happy dance! X-rays didn't show any signs of bone cancer. I'm going to keep him on Rimadyl for a two-week course and evaluate after that. If he's still limping, they want me to see an orthopedist.

Wonderful news! I was thinking about you and came to check for an update. This makes me happy :)