Senior Grey, Platelet Count Zero!

kudzu

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are things so complicated?! [rhetorical question]

Good news - We have platelets!! Up to 22,000 as of this morning. Vet checked a blood smear slide herself to help confirm that. The blood is clearing from her eyes & she can see!! Ultrasound showed no masses or signs of possible cause of platelets prob. She's drinking on her own & urinating appropriate amounts. She appears comfortable & very relaxed in her ICU kennel. I visited with her inside her kennel. She has foam mat plus fleece blankies. It's comfy! She appeared to thoroughly enjoy her ear rubs.

Bad news - PCV down a little more. Now solidly anemic but not hemolytic, no spherocytosis. Kidney values getting worse. Creatinine, BUN & phosphorus are higher. Cre value over 8. Urinalysis showed a few bacteria so running urine culture. Protein was 8+. Her urine is very dilute, more than expected. She's not eating. Refused dry & canned dog food, also her favorite human foods that I brought. Ultrasound showed inflammation in kidneys, like nephritis. Looks like something acute. Vets are suspicious of lepto now.

Was already getting steroids, injectible doxy & twice maintenance amount of IV fluids. Now adding injectible version of Clavamox & increasing IV fluids even more. So now we wait another day to see how things go.

Thanks to all for the good thoughts. Those are very much appreciated.

Keeping all fingers, toes, hands, elbows, knees, paws, more toes firmly crossed!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Don't rule out Lyme nephritis. Sorry if I missed it-did they run a snap 4dx or other vector borne test?? Also, with that much proteinuria ask them if they should start aspirin to prevent thrombus. I assume the antibiotic you mentioned is ampicillin? Check her BP;-)

Fingers crossed she will respond to the treatment quickly.

Don't rule out Lyme nephritis. Sorry if I missed it-did they run a snap 4dx or other vector borne test?? Also, with that much proteinuria ask them if they should start aspirin to prevent thrombus. I assume the antibiotic you mentioned is ampicillin? Check her BP;-)

Fingers crossed she will respond to the treatment quickly.

Snap 4dx run at local e-vet Thurs night was negative. UGA started doxycycline Friday morning anyway. They mentioned concerns about ehrlichia then but that was before they had V's prior blood work from Oct 4 & before the kidneys number climbed even higher. Hopefully the doxy & new anti-b would help with any possible Lyme.

My notes show vet added Unasyn, describing it as being like an injectable Clavamox. Just looked it up & that is a combo of ampicillin and sulbactam. From the conversation that was because of leptospirosis suspicions. She said they don't wait for lepto test results before starting anti-b treatment.

Forgot to mention that her BP was high when admitted but they said it wasn't worrisome at that time considering all the stress of what was going on. Will ask tomorrow what latest reading is. Thanks for reminding me. Will ask about aspirin tomorrow. Thanks for that, also.

PS Do you think current treatment would be different if this was Lyme nephritis?

We use unasyn too-ampicillin is the drug of choice for lepto--the "cylcines" are preferred for Lyme. If the 4dx was neg it's not Lyme.--that test is very accurate. Glad they started abs--I have found the lepto results can take a few days to return. How's her liver holding up?

Edited by tbhounds

Guest goofydog

Oh Laura, just seeing this and I's so sorry Ms. V is having such a difficult time. Please give me a shout if I can help in any way. I can pop over and take care of the other pups, or anything else.

Prayers and hugs for ya'll and Venus. Get better sweet V.

My girl is running free now. Her kidneys were going into shut down & she entered nephrotic syndrome. I wanted to keep fighting for her but her eyes told me that wasn't what she wanted. The prognosis was too poor.

Goodbye, beautiful Venus. You were my first Greyhound. You were perfect & I will always love you.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I am so very sorry for your loss. No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so very sorry that your beautiful Venus wasn't able to beat this. My thoughts are with you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

:grouphug I'm so sorry.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown