Thyme Is Seizing! At Emergency Now...

Guest DeniseL

Guest DeniseL

It happened this morning. She either tripped down the last few steps and started seizing, or started seizing and then tripped down the steps. It lasted a couple minutes, got better, and then started again. We put her in the car and came to the Evet.

My baby cant catch a break...

They are running blood work and blood pressure now....

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, poor girl. She's still pretty young, right? Dogs with epilepsy start having seizures around 3-4 years old, so that would make sense. Then again, some dogs can have one seizure and then never have one again. They're a huge mystery. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and checking back for an update.

Guest DeniseL

She just turned 3. We are waiting for her now. They said blood work and blood pressure and then if she has another one, we start testing. MRI, etc.

I decided not to bother with an MRI. They are $2500+ here and the outcome wouldn't change the treatment.

Thunder is on 3 AED's now. His last GM was in June and 4 focals in Aug. He is 3 yrs old.

Passion is on 1 and her last GM was June 2012. She is 11 yrs old.

I've had to learn that there isn't a reason for their seizures although I keep trying to figure out triggers.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Denise, make sure they give you rectal Valium to bring home. That way, if she starts having cluster seizures (one after the other), you can get her stabilized at home. As MaryJane mentioned, it's a really good idea to do a consult with a veterinary neurologist if the seizures continue. I found that my neurologist was much more knowledgable about pharmacology than my regular vet, who only prescribes the two most popular seizure drugs- phenobarbital and Keppra. I've never done an MRI on Henry. It's extremely expensive, the dog has to be under anesthesia, and MRI only detects encephalitis and tumors (both of which are unlikely in a young dog). Seizures in a young, otherwise healthy dog are most often epilepsy related, and they won't show up on any type of test anywhere. They're idiopathic, meaning, they happen without any rhyme or reason. Seizures look really scary, but they can be well managed with the right medication. My Henry was averaging at least one grand mal seizure per month, and he has been seizure free since last December on Zonisamide.

The other things you can do is rule-out certain things. Did you dose flea/tick/heartworm preventative in the last 24 hours? Any new cleaning supplies? Any possibility she ate something she shouldn't have? Have you ever done CBC bloodwork? Sometimes seizures can be caused by thyroid issues, so I'd recommend getting a full thyroid panel done as well. Write down the date and time of the seizures in a notebook to look for patterns in mealtime, exercise, etc. If she continues having seizures on a regular basis (my neurologist says at least one per month) or has cluster seizures, then it's time to consider meds. A neurologist is the best route to go.

Guest DeniseL

Thank you everyone.

She is home now. We are just watching and waiting. Blood work came back normal and blood pressure was just slightly high, but considering all the drama, the vet thinks that is normal, too.

We just gave Frontline 2 days ago. But we have had her on that since last June without a problem. Nothing else out of the ordinary. VSEC has a neurologist on staff, so they said if she has another one, to bring her back immediately and we would do a consult.

She just had an MRI from her broken hock a few months back, so I would hope to not have to do another. BUT, her insurance paid for everything. I opened up a new claim for this just in case she has another and we need testing or a consult, it will be paid for. THANK GOD for insurance.

I didn't see most of the seizure, my DH was with her, but I came running down the steps and caught the tail end and the stiffness and her claws were cured under and her neck was stiff and turned back. then she go a little better and then it seemed to be starting again, that's when we loaded her up in the car and took off. My DH is really shook up. Me, too.

They didn't give us any meds. Do you think they should have? They are very close to the house and just said to come back immediately if she had another....

She is resting now.

IMAG3400_zps944ad877.jpg

And can I just say that I love her regular vet. They just sent me an email saying they got her discharge papers from VSEC and how was she doing and to call them if we needed anything. They are too good to be true.

Sending prayers for Thyme and hugs for all who love her.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest DeniseL

Vinny is staying home with her today. Looks like we will have to keep her separated from Miami and Iz when we are at work for her safety, in case she has another. Although while it was happening Izzy was not interested and Miami didn't even get off the couch. Still, I can't take a chance. She is sleeping now, very wiped out...

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Oh no!!! Glad to hear she is ok now. Sounds like you are in really good hands with your vet. A lot of good advice here too. Hugs to all of you.

In most cases I have been familiar with, they will not start medications after one seizure, because, as someone above said, they may have one and never have another.

I have lots of questions about medications, for a friend with a seizure greyhound. I will start a separate thread about that so if everyone here will keep an eye out for that I'd be most appreciative.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I'm glad she's back home with you now. That is very scary.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Glad to see she's feeling better. Even though you're pretty close to the vet's office, I might still ask the vet for rectal Valium. It's good to have on hand for clusters. I have a "seizure pack" for Henry that I take with us to parks or on trips. It has Valium, Bach's Rescue Remedy, and our log book in it. He always seems to seize at inconvenient times (once on a walking path in a public park, once in a dog park). I've never had to use the Valium, but it gives me a little piece of mind knowing it's there.

If this is her first, they won't medicate. If she continues to have them then I would request medication. I know how awful they look but be assured she's feeling no pain during them. When dogs have grand mal seizures like that, all their senses shut down, they really aren't aware of the seizure at all. They can't feel pain, hear or see anything while seizing. She should sleep for a good while, which is perfectly normal after a seizure. If this is her first, start keeping a log on when she has them and how long they last. You may be able to see a pattern to them.

I'm speaking from personal experience. I have seizures and so do both of my children and we had a greyhound Saint who had severe grand mal seizures.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee