Where Does Everyone Purchase Their Greyhound Coats/sweaters?

Guest laura150

Guest laura150

Hi there,

Where is a great place to buy coats for the late fall/winter? I also wanted to know what material people buy. I live in Boston where we'll need a waterproof winter coat for snow days.

Also-do I definitely need boots for the winter weather/snow walks? What are people's thoughts on these?

Do I need a sweater for him indoors? Our condo is in between two other condos and is never below 65 degrees. What should I be doing for him in the winter for indoor wear?

Thank you!

Here is a good recent thread on this that you might find helpful (coincidentally also posted from someone in Boston).

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I make fleece jackets and flannel house coats. Zoom Doggies at www.houndtime.com If you go to the Dog Coat Models pages, you will see many Greytalk dogs modeling their apparel.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Luna is pretty well outfitted. She has four-legged fleece jammies from http://www.doggiedesignsnmore.com/. She also has fleece jammies, a double-layer fleece coat, and a fantastic raincoat from http://www.lovedhoundz.com/. For all kinds of weather, she has a really cool 3-2-1 coat (similar concept to the inner layer and outer shell coats we humans wear from from Columbia or North Face) from http://www.etsy.com/shop/tootlewear?ga_search_query=tootlewear&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ref=sr_gallery_1. She also has a variety of sweaters from Land's End and Drs. Foster and Smith. Not to mention that my mom and I have sewed some for her as well.

There are a ton of fantastic coat vendors out there, and a lot of them make really quality products. Does Luna need this many coats? Absolutely not, but I like to dress her in fun colors and patterns. Some dogs will run hot and others will run cold. Luna is pretty much a wimp, and actually likes wearing clothes to keep warm. When I get out her jammies at night, she'll come running to me to have them put on and will left up each leg so I can get them on.

Have fun shopping!!

ETA: I just noticed that tootlewear's Etsy shop is 40% off right now...must. avoid. shopping...!!!

Edited by schultzlc

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

Guest chickenpotpie

There seems to be a wonderfully wide selection of places that sell greyhound apparel. I've been pretty pleased with the light and the heavy coat I have from Chrisanthemum's http://www.chrisanthemums.com/ and the prices have been a bit more bearable for me than some places.

Lucky's coats also came from there. of course, I also bought another at the last greyhound meetup that the rescue had too :hehe

We have a few, Lila is a well appointed hound.

Raincoat and thermal Jammies from the Cottage Hound

Fleece Jammies from loved Houndz

Down vest from Lands End

Double layer fleece pea coat from Acme Coture on Etsy

Light fleece coat from Kris Koats

Edited by KPS915

Hi there,

Where is a great place to buy coats for the late fall/winter? I also wanted to know what material people buy. I live in Boston where we'll need a waterproof winter coat for snow days.

Also-do I definitely need boots for the winter weather/snow walks? What are people's thoughts on these?

Do I need a sweater for him indoors? Our condo is in between two other condos and is never below 65 degrees. What should I be doing for him in the winter for indoor wear?

Thank you!

I usually buy from Chillydogs but have purchased from others. Annie definitely needs a coat when it's real cold, below 20, though when it's 30, I put a coat on her to start our walks but always have to remove it because she starts panting.

Boots: I live near Albany, NY. We get cold and snow. I've never put boots or any foot covering on Annie. She loves the snow and we avoid walking where there is ice and rock salt. Rock salt can be a problem for dog feeties. My opinion is that using boots depends on your dog and how he reacts to the cold and snow.

Sweater: Again, it depends on your hound. If he's cold, he'll probably wrap himself up in a tight ball, rather than being spread out, and shove his nose into his bed, blanket or under his legs. At least that's what my Annie does. My girl is usually pretty warm and will not tolerate sweaters, PJs, etc. In the dead of winter, when it's cold at night (I turn heat down to 58 at night), she likes a blanket tossed over her.

As others have said, don't spend a lot of money on anything until you see how your boy is. I went overboard the first year I had Annie, from trying out the *best* food to buying her expensive coats. It's just not necessary, especially if money is a concern. Remember, what we put on our hounds is often for our own enjoyment. They don't care if they wear a paper bag, as long as they're warm when they need to be.

BTW, when buying a coat, think hard about what type to buy. Personally, I don't like coats that I have to slip on over Annie's legs. I find it a pain to manipulate her and the coat. Also, I prefer coats that have a strap going under the belly that snaps into a buckle rather than closes with velcro. I've had better luck with adjusting the tightness with an adjustable buckle as opposed to velcro, but that's just me.

Edited by Feisty49

Morty has double Fleece Coat from No (longer ) Nude Hounds that has a T Strap to keep his Tummy warm . Very well made .

MortyatthePark001.jpg

I just won a No Nude Hounds jammies in the auction at our picnic, and I love it! Lydia will be 13 in November, and she just needed a little something in the house. The T strap in the jammies is a little smaller, but it covers the chest, and ties over the back. It's so easy to put on, and I think it's a good design. I like the way the 4 footed jammies look, but I would never get any of my guys to hold still on a regular basis to put them on---I've tried!

I guess Dewey would be a stretch from Boston to get some coats, but you'd love it for lots of other reasons, and it's a great place to buy coats and collars. You can try on the ones that catch your eye, make sure they fit (and look fabulous), and get instant gratification!

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

We are expecting a hoodie from Cottage Hounds to arrive next week which I'm excited about.

We have 4-legged Jammie's for Summit from Needlenose apparel

Kili has a rain jacket and winter coat from Chilly Dogs (not bought by us though, they were a hand me down from one of my drug reps who lost his greyhound last year and kindly gave them to me when Kili was just a pup).

The rest of their coats were all made by me, though last spring I saw that Shedrow had new coats that are a better fit for a greyhound so I might make a trip out there soon.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest kkaiser104

I'm doing a complete update to my shop at the moment, but I sell pajamas, raincoats, winter coats, double layer fleece jackets and more! I'll come back and update when I unveil my new website, but here is my etsy shop:

www.teddiscloset.etsy.com

Hi Laura, we are also in MA.

As you can see there are any number of places to buy beautiful coats online!

If you want to fit your grey personally with a coat, the Greyhound Friends Hopkinton Fall Open House is coming up next weekend -- September 28/9 12:00 - 4:00 pm both days. There is usually a good selection of waterproof coats with fleece linings for sale, and there should be other vendors too selling collars, leashes and lots of other greyhound goodies. It is also a good place to meet other greyhound owners and Greytalkers. I plan to be there with Olly the Galgo and Caesar, but I'm not sure which day we are going yet.

No, boots are not a definite necessity. Our dogs have never worn them. If you are walking your grey on city streets it is a good idea to wipe off his paws with a damp cloth when you come in. You want to remove any salt or chemical ice melt stuff so he doesn't lick it off.

If your Condo averages 65, you may not need to bother with indoor sweaters or PJs. Of my greys, only Pilgrim wears them indoors regularly. She feels the cold now she is getting older. She also owns a much heavier parka type coat for extremely cold days.

We have a collection of fleece coats www.kriskoats.com for chilly but not rainy days that can also be used as indoor sweaters. For the boys, we layer them under a waterproof coat for really cold weather.

Now I think about it, my hounds have many more coats than I do! They also have numerous collars. Collecting beautiful greyhound collars is a weakness of mine. :flip

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

• 1 month later...
Guest GreytAdoration

I was just reading this post, and I was curious about where/what size to get for Darby. I knew it was starting to get cold so I was researching coats before he even came home. I am not sure how handy you are, but I found this link to be awesome. http://www.instructables.com/id/Greyhound-coat-from-old-fleece-vest/

I went to the local Goodwill and bought an XXL Fleece Jacket (I couldn't find a fleece any smaller, or a vest at all). It needed quite a bit of adjusting, especially since Darby is very tall, but on the thinner side. It took me, honestly, all day to figure out since I have been out of practice for several years, but in the long run, the coat for Darby only cost $5! So the Saturday was worth it to me. Plus it gave me something to do while Darby napped and DH did his homework!

I also found these patterns - which I haven't attempted.. I liked the pictures w/ instructions with the link above. http://www.greyhoundhaven.com/documents/GreytCraftPatterns.pdf

Dana Provost makes really beautiful coats and jammies. She made a great two legged 100% cotton jersey jammy for Doodles. No static and it fits her like a dream. Wild Things for Greys, http://wildthingsforgreys.com/

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest snsnpups

Chrisanthemums coats last forever! I have had others over the years, but I only by from Chrisanthemums now. You have a large selection to choose from and they are very well made. I saw a lot of them at Dewey this year and one lady told me the 2 she had were now on her newest greys.

Guest DogNewbie

I made Wiley a spring/fall coat out of double layer fleece and a winter coat out of 1 layer of fleece and a winter jacket material. If it is really cold, he wears both. I bought him a rain coat from http://www.k9apparel.com/ and a set of booties and a snood. K9 Apparel seems to be really good! It arrived at my house in about 10 days and are very well made items. Wiley isn't sure about the booties yet, so we are still working on them in the house!

Hope that helps!

• 4 years later...

Kriskoats for a single layer fleece which is great on damp raw days. For out right bitter cold sueshappytails in buffalo make a coat that you will pass on to your next dog and possibly the dog after that. Her coats have a nice chest panel that keeps the body heat in. Her snoods are long enough to put over their ears. I am waiting for the medium weight water proof whippet coat that she is finishing up. Her web site needs updating, but sue readily communicates and sends you pictures of new fabrics.

• 2 weeks later...