New Adoption Question

Guest Mad4greys

Guest Mad4greys

Hi guys! I'm super excited about adopting my first grey! I should be getting him this weekend. He's an incredibly handsome 3.5 yr old red fawn.

I've been doing my homework as far as research and talking to current owners is concerned, but I still have one major question:

I know there are plenty of people who let their dog sleep on the bed with them. If he wants to sleep with me, I'm fine with that. Will that be something that I need to wait to allow to make sure he doesn't have sleep aggression? Or is it not really a big deal? Thoughts?

I love my dogs to sleep on the bed with me! I crated Summer for about the first week, at night, in the bedroom. Since she'd presumably never been on a bed before, she had no idea what she was missing, LOL. Then, I let her stay out. By that time, I already knew she had no sleep startle issues (or, if she had, I would have known by then) and was already allowed on the couch. And onto the bed she was invited! Seventh heaven ruled! She was thrilled because that's where she wanted to be. I folded up the crate and took it back to the lady who had rented it to me.

ETA: She arrived straight from a kennel so she also wasn't house trained. By spending the week in my bedroom in the crate, I figured she'd learn that the bedroom was part of her space and wouldn't eliminate in it. I also sleep with my bedroom door closed as well as the door to my ensuite so it's just one giant crate. She clued in.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

My dog was terrified of the bed for 18 months--just throwing it out there that not all Greyhounds are furniture lovers! And even now, after six years, he won't get on the furniture--just the bed. And only because I forced the issue and physically put him on the bed repeatedly until he got over shaking like a bowl of jelly when he was up there!

Some take to it right away.

Not a good idea to move too fast. I'd be inclined to have him sleep on his own bed in your room until you establish a relationship.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I know there are plenty of people who let their dog sleep on the bed with them. If he wants to sleep with me, I'm fine with that. Will that be something that I need to wait to allow to make sure he doesn't have sleep aggression? Or is it not really a big deal? Thoughts?

Definitely not right away. Give your new guy at least a few weeks/months to learn your routine, boundaries, and rules. And if/when you've decided to try it, be prepared to do some training. There are lots of threads on here regarding brand new greys growling and space guarding a bed because they've never seen one before (which is 100% normal and does not mean the dog is aggressive in any way). Especially during the initial adjustment period, it's important that the dog have his own bed where he can retreat when he's nervous or stressed. I'm not trying to discourage you, because I allow my dogs in the bed too. But both of them (retired racer and AKC grey) needed a good deal of training before they understood the concept of "my bed" and "your bed." They growled at me if I tried to move them, and it took a few times of being "banished" from the bed before they understood. You may get a dog who has perfect bed manners right from the start, but in my experience, it takes some work to get there.

Guest Doggone

I'm one of a minority that is glad that my grey DOESN'T like furniture, and doesn't seem to have any desire to change that. I love her, but prefer not to have an animal sleeping with me.

Mine don't sleep in our bed either - they are happy with their real comfy dog beds which are right next to the side of the human bed. Neither of my greys ever showed a desire to get on our bed (or furniture) and with all the tossing and turning I do when asleep there would be lots of grouches.

I would definitely wait to see if there is sleep aggression and if he wants to get on your bed. Some greys are super cuddly and love the closeness - others, like one of mine, wants his own space with no one touching him when he is asleep. When he is awake though, he loves as much mooshing as he can get!

I'm one of a minority that is glad that my grey DOESN'T like furniture, and doesn't seem to have any desire to change that. I love her, but prefer not to have an animal sleeping with me.

Me too. My girl has gotten on my sofa a total of 3 times in the 2 years I've had her. I was OK with it, but don't encourage it. She's never gotten on the bed, and I would not allow it. Since my husband passed away, I like sleeping alone. I toss and turn and like to use the entire bed. A dog on it would not work for me.

Guest girlsgotgrey

Congrats on your new addition! I would wait until you have your dog for a little while before letting him on your furniture. Our adoption group recommended waiting because you need to establish the rules first, that way your grey doesn't walk in and think he's the boss. We have only had our boy for two weeks and still have not let him onto any furniture. So far he has not even tried it. He is still adjusting and prefers his crate or a blanket. You may be able to take things faster than us, but we can't let him have the run of place yet because of our cat.

My greyts and I love cuddling up! Each one has their "spot" in the bed lol. Its the reason I got a king size bed. New ones it is best to leave muzzled at first in bed just to be on the safe side IMO. But if all goes well then just remove it. No biggie. You are in for one of the most wonderful experiences there is-greyhound love! Enjoy your new bud! And you do need to make sure they understand it is a privilege and not a right- that YOU are in charge, it is YOUR bed/furniture that you are graciously sharing lol.

Edited by racindog

I would encourage you to spend some time in this forum searching bite scenarios. The dog could be on the human bed or the dog bed but they situation is basically the same. The person disturbed and startled the dog and the dog reacted. We all want our dogs to be perfect cuddle bugs, but the reality is greyhounds and their personalities are very wide ranging. I would NEVER let any of my dogs sleep in the bed with me. They are all reactive when bothered while sleeping. Other people have greyhounds who can hardly live without being in contact with their human being.

No matter what I would give the dog space of it's own for several weeks while it is new to your home. They say it can take up to six months for your dog's personality to develop.

Can someone post the Gilley article?

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Definetly wait until you've had some time with your pup before you let them crawl into bed with you. I recommend them to be crated for a few months to get to know routine.

Many are just not used to sleeping with anyone else close by and could easily get startled as you turn in your sleep.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

We have had our newest greyhound for about 9 months. In all that time, she has slept with me for about 8 months and 2 weeks. :hehe She was not interested for a while. I also think I misunderstood her. She would come in and whine at me. I would take her outside to potty. One night she started it early and I invited her on the bed instead of getting up and she was on the bed in an instant. She has slept with me ever since. So, I think he will let you know when he is ready to trust you or you him. Good Luck on a greyt adventure!

Guest Waterdog66

It is probably a personal decision but as others have said, until you get to know your hound it might be a good idea to introduce furniture and the bed over time.

When we adopted Audrey, we had 3 dog beds waiting for her. One in the family room to be with us, one in the living room to be by herself. (her alone space) and one upstairs in our bedroom to sleep on.

When we brought her home she figured out in about 10 minutes where her space was and has never once tried to get on the bed or the furniture. We also gated the kitchen and even when the gates are left open, she will not venture in.

Interesting that her "Alone Space" almost never gets used. It is next to the piano and the only time she sits on that bed is when someone is playing the piano or if we have visitors :flip

Guest psdirector

We have had our boys since March. In that time they have shown no interest in getting up on any furniture and we're ok with that. Our bed is not big enough for us and two greyhounds and it turns out that Hutch has some sleep aggression and does not like anyone to touch or get close to his back end when he is lying down. They are both asleep at this moment on their blankets right next to the sofa where I am sitting, very close to each other, and at night they sleep on their beds in our room.

I would recommend exercising caution until you know how your pup is about space and sleeping.

Enjoy your new addition - having greyhounds is the BEST!

Guest Lochshumans

I would give it some time, like many people are saying. I too am happy that my grey has no interest in furniture or the bed. He is more than happy in one of his many beds around the house, including one right next to my side of the bed. No matter the size of the bed, I just don't see it being big enough for 2 humans and 2 pups! hahaha Everyone in my house likes to spread out too much :)

We've had eight greyhounds over the years. Exactly two of them have been OK to sleep on the bed from the get go - one was a 11 week old puppy, and one was a cuddle bug that had to be in physical contact with his humans 24/7. Dude was on the bed the first night he was here and was absolutely perfectly fine.

We have let others on the bed with us with much different results. At no time did we ever think it was the dog's fault. WE were the ones who didn't take proper care, and we were the ones that paid the price. Even the ones that did sleep startle in the beginning have eventually calmed down and been super bed cuddlers. (Though one of them never could sleep with us because of it.) If you do allow your new greyhound to sleep with you before you have any idea whether he will sleep startle or not, don't be surprised if you get bitten. And please don't blame him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Congratulations! I would say - not right now. The most important thing with a new grey is - keep is simple - keep it slow. Keep your expectations clear, and don't allow too much freedom right away, or the dog will get confused. You'll be lucky if you even get to sleep the first few nights - the dog might be very anxious. Don't compound the chaos by putting it in your bed right away.

My philosophy is - don't let greys on ANY furniture until you and they are prepared to learn the command "off". And that's going to be a while from now. Keep it simple. Worry about potty outside, general anxiety control, and acclimating to your house for now.

If your dog pees outside, doesn't tear down the blinds, and doesn't chew up things in anxiety in the first month - you've done well. And that's about ALL you need to focus on right now. Keep it simple.

ETA - I'm not against dogs in the bed. Both my greys ended up there - and a few of the fosters - even though I had a "no fosters on furniture rule" - DH is a softie for the fosters that earned the privilege.

Edited by sobesmom

Guest Mad4greys

Thanks guys. So far he hasn't had any interest in getting on any of the furniture, which is perfectly fine as well. He's happy in his bed at the foot of mine. He's a sweet boy, and I'm excited to have him! We'll see if he ends up being interested in the bed in the future.

Guest Marsroving

Mars had his own bed in our room. At night he lays there but as soon as the sun comes up he jumps in with us and sleeps there until the alarm clocks go off! It's the perfect set up for our family since our bed is on the smaller side and its even kept me from being late to work on several occasions!

The only thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is this, so I'll throw it in:

Sleeping%20with%20your%20dog.jpg

:rofl

Edited by jetcitywoman

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest javakaty

I'm also getting my first greyhound this weekend. Do people recommend having them sleep in a crate the first few nights, or in the bedroom on their own bed? We were planning the following set-up, but I'd love recommendations:

- dog bed in the living area where we spend most of our time

- crate (with bed/blankets) in our "office" for alone space if she needs it

- dog bed in our bedroom next to our bed

Thoughts? Thanks!

Crating vs non-crating depends. We didn't crate either of ours and it wasn't recommended. They slept in our bedroom from the start and have had no problems. A good friend of mine has hers sleep in the laundry outside the house. No problems. Then she brought her one's brother home to spell from the track. He kicked up an unholy row in the laundry until he was crated at which point he slept through the night without issue. So it will depend. I know many people on here do use crates and I know they are very useful tools to have but they don't work for all hounds and not all hounds need them.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Mine came off the farm at age ten, as a former racer and breeder dog, never been in a house, and she slept in my bed from the first. But, I like it like that, and she liked it... she may have spent one or two nights in her crate, I don't remember, but it wasn't long if she did... recently I had a brief period of having her sleep in her crate in my room because I was feeling cramped at night, but I missed her and she's been back for a month or so :) (I also have others in the bed, too, so it gets crowded)