New Adoption Question

Guest Mad4greys

Guest DogNewbie

We just adopted a new greyhound on the 5th and we got him a 48" X 30" X 33" crate, as recommended by the adoption agency. We tried putting his bed in our room and shutting the door but it was so stuffy and my BF couldn't take it! So we put the crate is in our room and he sleeps in it every night and he has so far slept through the night with no issues. During the day we leave the door open and he sometimes goes in on his own. Although he tends to prefer the carpet over his crate and bed (in the living room by the couch), I think because of the heat over here in southern AB. We also put him in the crate when we are away to avoid any accidents.

Congratulations on your new hound!!

Guest oldgreymom

My dog was terrified of the bed for 18 months--just throwing it out there that not all Greyhounds are furniture lovers! And even now, after six years, he won't get on the furniture--just the bed. And only because I forced the issue and physically put him on the bed repeatedly until he got over shaking like a bowl of jelly when he was up there!

Some take to it right away.

Not a good idea to move too fast. I'd be inclined to have him sleep on his own bed in your room until you establish a relationship.

I'm one of a minority that is glad that my grey DOESN'T like furniture, and doesn't seem to have any desire to change that. I love her, but prefer not to have an animal sleeping with me

So happy to read these two posts. My grey is strictly a floor dog. He is so afraid of "heights" that he wouldn't even step on the new dog bed I bought him that was at least 10 inches off the ground. :flip We have him on a 4 inch memory foam mattress with lots of blankets.

P.S. He also peed and pooped in his crate within days of getting to our house from the kennel (he had never been in a house before). We got rid of the crate and he hasn't had a single accident anywhere in the house since! Not your typical greyhound, I guess... Is there a typical greyhound?

Plenty of good advice here. Mine safely sleep on the sofa with me, but neither of them go upstairs so have never slept in my bed. On cold nights I would like to snuggle with them, but Rebel is a slurpy licker of himself and anything else within reach and so would drive me nuts when I need to sleep!

Dippy (Dinky Dipstick) and Velvet (Redbrick Velvet). Remembering sweet handsome Rebel (Emporio Rebel).

Guest oldgreymom

I'm one of a minority that is glad that my grey DOESN'T like furniture, and doesn't seem to have any desire to change that. I love her, but prefer not to have an animal sleeping with me.

Agreed. Our boy sleeps in a cozy bed, on the floor.

I crated my first three - the first two I crated because their feelings about the kitties were somewhat unknown and I wanted to supervise any interactions they had with my kitties. The third was terrified of my kitties but she was so curious about EVERYTHING in the house that I didn't want her getting into things when I wasn't home, for her own safety.

We had mixed results with crating at night - Ace absolutely COULD NOT be crated if you were home. She didn't care about being crated when we were gone (I videotaped her). But if she knew you were around and you crated her, she went ape$&!+. So at bedtime she slept in my room with the kitties closed out. Once we knew she was just fine with the kitties, I left the door to my room open. I did allow Ace to sleep on my bed starting pretty much the second week. She did have some sleep startle and displayed a little bit of possessive behavior with the bed, so, she lost bed privileges for about a month or two. The problem was more the possessive behavior than anything else and I wasn't going to allow her to be like that. She quickly figured out that she'd much rather be up on the bed and share it with me than not be allowed on it at all :lol For about 10 years she slept with me every night :heart

Fritz was sort of okay with being crated but when I had to move his crate to a different part of the house, he didn't like it and started having anxiety when crated. Thankfully he did well with my kitties after some training, so, I just started letting him be free in the house with Ace and he was fine. He never slept in his crate at night - he slept in bed with me and Ace from the get-go. Fritz was bomb-proof. Nothing startled him, EVER. Ace was fine sharing space with him as long as he didn't touch her :lol Then she would grump at him. She never snapped at him over space. I did, however, buy a king size bed to give MYSELF some more sleeping room :lol

Ace has been gone two weeks and Fritz has been gone since May...this huge bed is feeling pretty darn empty these days :(

Pinky was crated both during the day and at night...but only at night for a week or so. She did just fine being in my room with the rest of us. She was not super interested in being on my bed - she loved her bed in my closet :lol On occasion she would sleep with me or at least come up to hang out for a while in the evening. She loved her loveseat in the living room, and her closet bed though :lol Transitioning her out of her crate for daytime was a little bit strange. She was quite a creature of habit, so, when I took her crate down and didn't think to put a bed in the EXACT SAME SPOT, she sort of freaked out and chewed on everything. So, I put the crate back where it had been, and she used it for another few weeks, and then I took it down again and put a bed in the exact same place. Her habit when I left the house was to go to her crate to receive her cookie. She also ate her meals in her kennel. So, after I took the crate down, she would run to her bed to receive her cookie, and to eat her meals :) Eventually the loveseat became her "bed."

Ace and Fritz were just not such strict creatures of habit, so, Pinky was a bit of a learning experience :lol

The others that have come to me (Sutra and Carrie) came to me from other homes and I never crated either of them. They just fell into our rhythms here and were fine. It took Sutra a while, but, once he learned the joys of the furniture, he was the first one into my room every night, claiming a spot on my bed for himself :lol Carrie is not a furniture dog - I don't think her former home allowed her up there, and she just prefers her bed on the floor.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I crated mine at night for a few weeks at least (it's been five years, don't recall). Among other things you will probably sleep better if you don't have to be hypervigilant every time your grey moves that he's going to have an accident or get into trouble in some way. Mine had never been in a house before and after some whining the first night or two was fine. And if you're going to crate when you leave (I still do, Beth likes the crate and it works for us) there's no reason not to keep him used to it.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad