What Does It Mean When They Put Their Chin On Another Dog's Neck?

We had a meet and greet last weekend and I brought Dakota along with me because he is a champion meet and greeter (meaning he attracts attention, actively 'greets' people that come by to say hi instead of just being sacked out on the floor, and is perfect with small children, older people, etc).

A couple of the other group members that were not actively working the meet and greet also came by with their hounds, so at any given time we'd have a 'hound party' there of 5 or 6 dogs.

Anyway, the 2 hounds that we have available for adoption, when Dakota saw them, after the requisite sniffing of body parts, he went over to each of them and rested his chin on the backs of those 2 hounds' heads for a while. I am thinking he remembers these two hounds because they were available for adoption when we adopted Dakota. So he used to go to meet and greets with them when all 3 of them were looking for homes.

Question: Do you think he remembered them, so his resting his chin on them was his way of showing affection to them and saying hi? Do you think he was being submissive to them?

He didn't do the chin rest thing on the other hounds that came by to say hi at the meet and greet; ...just the two that we had available for adoption that he 'knew'. What do you think?

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I think he was just "taking a load off of his feet". :rolleyes:

But he didn't do that to the other hounds that were there. Just the ones he knew. Maybe I am reading too much into it, who knows? :)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Maverick will rest his head on other dogs all the time. I tell their owners that Maverick's neck gets tired from holding up a head full of rocks. Goose will only rest his head on Maverick, his littermate. I was able to catch them in a rare double rest though!

grapehounds2013002019_zps71e911c3.jpg

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Maverick will rest his head on other dogs all the time. I tell their owners that Maverick's neck gets tired from holding up a head full of rocks. Goose will only rest his head on Maverick, his littermate. I was able to catch them in a rare double rest though!

What a sweet picture!! :beatheart

LOL at Maverick having a head full of rocks!

With my campers, it has definitely been a sign of affection, whether it was either set of littermates or any of the others. It's definitely a good thing :beatheart

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

That pic of Maverick is adorable!

I have to imagine that it means something, but it's hard for us to figure out. I'd say in the very least that Dakota was likely way more comfortable with those two that with any others. Maybe he was trying to tell YOU something....like bring 'em home mamma!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

That pic of Maverick is adorable!

I have to imagine that it means something, but it's hard for us to figure out. I'd say in the very least that Dakota was likely way more comfortable with those two that with any others. Maybe he was trying to tell YOU something....like bring 'em home mamma!

I can't....2 is the max we can afford and handle. And Toby would run away from home if I brought another young whippersnapper hound into our family! :lol

I think the meaning depends on the body language of the dog. The pics posted and your description sound like affection or just resting (so cute!). At the same time, a dog putting their head over the neck or body of another dog can also be a sign that a fight or some sort of scuffle is going to take place. In this case though the neck is usually arched, tense, etc. the tension is usually pretty obvious to see.

Brooke rests her head on Ben, she usually does it as we're getting ready to go for a walk...bored is my best guess :lol

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

My girls do this to each other while lying down, usually to get a better view of what I'm doing. But once Paige did it to Brandi at the vets. Paige was loose in the consulting room while the vet examined a growth on Brandi's butt (benign tumour which went away quickly) and I handled Brandi's head. As soon as the vet touched her, Brandi began to cry. Paige came straight across the room and put her head over Brandi's neck, and Brandi immediately relaxed. I can only put it down to an attempt to comfort and reassure.

Holly does this to Murray (and other dogs) quite often. It's definitely not about dominance for her. I think she just likes to cozy up to other dogs. She's so stinking cute when she does it, and he never seems to mind. :)

8578799560_98000440fc_z.jpg

H&M by 45mphk9, on Flickr

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Aww, Paige comforting Brandi at the vet :beatheart..... and Holly and Murray :beatheart

Edited by fsugrad

Not to highjack this thread, but that's the cutest thing ever! :beatheart:wub:

Holly does this to Murray (and other dogs) quite often. It's definitely not about dominance for her. I think she just likes to cozy up to other dogs. She's so stinking cute when she does it, and he never seems to mind. :)

8578799560_98000440fc_z.jpg

H&M by 45mphk9, on Flickr

That is too cute! :wub:

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

My little female does this to my big male. He is definitely the dominant/alpha and she is my recent adopted girl (3 months) - very shy and insecure. They do this when they are standing together, usually outside in the yard, and waiting for something - like me to walk them or just gazing around. He is not bothered by it in the least so I would say - for these two - this is not a dominant move on her part. More of a security/comfortable acceptance they have.

Of course if she tries to get on the bed he is on, or touches him while together in the car - growlies ensue from him! She is oblivious to his snarkiness which makes her that much more adorable to me :-).

Maybe it just depends on the dogs and the vibe they give off. I am sure my guy would not like it if ALL dogs did that to him, but I have witnessed at greyhound get togethers, certain ones can get away with it.