Newly Adopted Greyhound Petrified Of Other Breeds

Guest AngelPup

Guest AngelPup

Hi all. I just introduced my new hound, Brady, in the introductions section. Now it's time for some advice. Brady is TERRIFIED of other dogs. We knew that he became very intimidated by other dogs barking when the adoption agency took him to the vet, but I didn't expect him to be THIS frightened. Our first walk with him on Friday night didn't go so well. There was a loose dog who approached us and he FREAKED. Almost escaped his martingale. Luckily my husband was close by and grabbed him, which illicited our first experience with the greyhound scream of death. The other dog was perfectly friendly and his owner came right out and grabbed her before she could get to Brady. I wanted to keep walking him in the direction we were traveling, but my husband and daughter were too afraid he'd get loose, so we went back.

I picked up a harness and we took him on another walk yesterday morning. He was very hesistant, but I encouraged him. He was fine until he heard a dog bark inside someone's house, then he froze. I sent my daghter back home to get some treats to distract him and get him moving again. He did get moving, but he looks from side to side the whole time we're walking. The rest of the walk went well. However, this morning my husband and girls tried to take him on a walk and he wouldn't leave our driveway. Even treats wouldn't get him going. I'm going to try again later when it's cooler outside.

Any advice on how to alleviate his fear of other dogs. I want to be a ble to take him places, but don't want him to be traumatized if there's another dog around.

Thanks!

Remember, everything is new to him, and it sounds like he's a little overwhelmed by it all. Unless you *have* to walk for potties, I would give him a break on the neighborhood walks for now. They are obviously very stressful for him. If you do need to walk for bathroom breaks, then make them very short and very positive. Lots of treats and praise when he goes, when he walks forward, when he walks back home. Be proactive in constantly scanning your environment for other dogs. If you can, begin distracting him before he becomes aware of the other dog(s), and keep distracting him until the other dog(s) have passed or he is calm around them. Walk quickly and calmly, with purpose.

Don't allow other dogs to run up to him. Period. Most don't greet properly, and an anxious greyhound will growl and snap. While this is a normal and OK doggy correction, the other owners usually don't appreciate it. And you don't want you dog to *have* to react this way, making him even more fearful. Step in front of your greyhound and block the other dog away. If the other dog is leashed, ask the owner to keep their distance as your dog is new and needs some space.

Unless you dog was fostered in a multi-dog home, he has likely never even seen another breed of dog. Greyhounds often do NOT recognize them as other dogs, just like them. If you have some friends with a quiet and calm other-breed, arrange some private visits once he settles into your home. Again, you want short and positive, working up to longer and longer times.

Avoid any dog parks.

If you feel you simply have to get him some exercise, look into meeting up with a greyhound friend, or greyhound group events from your adoption organization.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Are you in an apartment or a house? Fenced yard or not?

I'd keep any walks very short -- potty (both) if necessary and then if he wants to go back home, let him go back home. If you have to walk for potty, try sticking to the same 1-2 blocks and just keep going up and down until the purpose is accomplished. Right now everything is new and scary, and he has a lot to deal with. In a month or two he'll likely settle and be interested in going further.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

All of the above, and, "where you look is where you go." If you are looking at Brady and tugging on the leash while looking at him, he is not going to move. Lift your eyes and look in the direction you want him to move; everything about your body language will change and it will encourage Brady to follow you. You can do it. Good luck with your new boy and enjoy him.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Are you in an apartment or a house? Fenced yard or not?

I'd keep any walks very short -- potty (both) if necessary and then if he wants to go back home, let him go back home. If you have to walk for potty, try sticking to the same 1-2 blocks and just keep going up and down until the purpose is accomplished. Right now everything is new and scary, and he has a lot to deal with. In a month or two he'll likely settle and be interested in going further.

Ditto!!!! Do not rush into any activities outside the home. Keep the leash short. Relax.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Brandi was like this when we first got her. It was two weeks of awfulness because while she was adorable in the house, outside, she was terrified, turning into 30kg of quivering, crying, urinating mess at the sight of another dog. Including the very small pathetic ones.

What finally sorted things out was us adopting Paige. I'm not suggesting that this is a strategy for you, but I would strongly recommend trying to set up a walk or two with a friendly greyhound who knows what's what. They seem to work better in pairs, gaining confidence from each other.

If you can't get her to walk, make sure she gets outside to potty regularly and be aware that she may not empty out completely if she isn't getting any exercise. I'm sure some of our early problems were simply because we couldn't get Boo to walk far enough to fully empty her bladder or bowels and so we came home to accidents.

For some greyhounds, everything is terrifying during the first few weeks/months. It just takes time. I would just work on getting him accustomed to your routine and lifestyle for the time being. Don't push him too hard to do anything he doesn't want to do. Keep walks familiar and avoid other dogs if you can. No dog parks. After a few months, you'll have a more trusting, protective bond. At that point, I would consider an all-breed basic obedience class. That way, he can be in a controlled situation where he is constantly rewarded for being around other breeds of dogs.

Guest AngelPup

Wow, thanks for the great advice all. I guess I am taking things a bit too fast for his comfort level. He seemed like such a calm, confident boy when we first met him. Even on the ride home nothing seemed to phase him. But I do need to remember how strange this all must be for him and take it one step at a time.

We live in a neighborhood of ranch-style homes that are pretty close together. There are a lot of dogs and cats around and one neighbor has a Goldendoodle that constantly gets loose from her yard and is pretty obnoxious (both owner and dog). So I'll stick to our backyard for now. It's not fenced in yet, but will be in two to three weeks. I just feel bad that he's not getting much exersize, but we do play with him inside the house. He doesn't seem to NEED a lot of exersize.

The woman who came to our house for the home visit is local and has four greyhounds. She already offered to go on a walk with us, so I think I'll contact her once Brady is settled. I was also referred to a local greyhound walking group that meets monthly and was thinking it might be a good idea to go to one of the Greyhound meet and greets at a Petco so he could become more familiar with other breeds in the presence of other greyhounds. In the meantime, I'll just let him get comfortable with us and his new home and take it slow with new people, places, and other dogs.

Thanks so much! You have no idea how much better I feel.

Guest Scouts_mom

My Tia was like your Brady when I first got her--she was terrified of non-greyhound dogs and would attack them if she could. She did get a lot better over time. What worked for her was watching other dogs from a distance while I talked cheerfully to her about the other dog ("oh look at his beautiful tail, lovely ears" etc.). I did not want her to sense that I was at all nervous. I would gently and slowly work at getting her closer to other dogs, but did not push it. She was much more comfortable with puppies so we would get closer to them. And I enrolled her in an obedience class, with the instructor's understanding that we were there mostly to work on her interaction skills. The class took place in a huge room and, in the beginning, we would be at one end and the rest of the class at the other end. By the time the class sessions were over, Tia would walk with the other dogs (although she was never quite sure of a beagle and the strange sounds it made).

Patrick was like that, terrified of non-greyhounds, made worse by a pair of pugs ambushing him with flexi-leads when we got him out of the car for the first time. He finally met a pair of dalmations and it was like you could see the gears grinding until they clicked and he figured out they were dogs. From there it went pretty well, although he was scared of pugs for the rest of his life.

Letting Brady take things at his pace and walking with other greyhounds are both good ideas.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

From there it went pretty well, although he was scared of pugs for the rest of his life.

This really has nothing to do with the OP's question, but this reminded me of a funny story. I took Henry to a dog park for what I thought was "Greyhound Day." Well, I goofed the date, and it was actually "Southwest PA Pugs with Special Needs Day." Suffice to say, Henry loves pugs. :lol

Guest AngelPup

All of the above, and, "where you look is where you go." If you are looking at Brady and tugging on the leash while looking at him, he is not going to move. Lift your eyes and look in the direction you want him to move; everything about your body language will change and it will encourage Brady to follow you. You can do it. Good luck with your new boy and enjoy him.

This worked wonders tonight. I was taking Brady out for his last potty walk in the back yard and our neighbor's dog was out and barking. Yesterday, he wouldn't have budged, but I just kept my eyes on where he needed to go and walked.....and he followed. Didn't pay much attention to the yappy dog and did his business. PROGRESS! :thumbs-up

You should also check out Trail Bound Hounds. They are a waking group in SE Mass that has mostly greyhounds, but other breeds as well, and totally understand having new dogs that need to be socialized on their walks. http://www.trailboundhounds.org/

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Guest AngelPup

This really has nothing to do with the OP's question, but this reminded me of a funny story. I took Henry to a dog park for what I thought was "Greyhound Day." Well, I goofed the date, and it was actually "Southwest PA Pugs with Special Needs Day." Suffice to say, Henry loves pugs. :lol

I'm DYING here! LOL!!

You should also check out Trail Bound Hounds. They are a waking group in SE Mass that has mostly greyhounds, but other breeds as well, and totally understand having new dogs that need to be socialized on their walks. http://www.trailboundhounds.org/

I have heard about them, but wasn't sure how close by the walks were... I'll check it out! Thanks!

This worked wonders tonight. I was taking Brady out for his last potty walk in the back yard and our neighbor's dog was out and barking. Yesterday, he wouldn't have budged, but I just kept my eyes on where he needed to go and walked.....and he followed. Didn't pay much attention to the yappy dog and did his business. PROGRESS! :thumbs-up

Fantastic!! :yay

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Just one comment: if he "almost escaped from his martingale" you don't have it fitted properly.

When walking on leash, make sure you can only fit a couple fingers under it when it's loose. It should be up under his chin, not down near his shoulders.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Just one comment: if he "almost escaped from his martingale" you don't have it fitted properly.

When walking on leash, make sure you can only fit a couple fingers under it when it's loose. It should be up under his chin, not down near his shoulders.

And if he starts to back away from you, pull the leash down toward the ground. Less chance of him slipping off the collar.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Good job!

My Joseph wasn't really a shy/fearful dog but the first few months here, he wanted to go out, do what he had to do, and come straight back in. Going further away, standing around outside, chasing squirrels (fenced yard), etc. seemed to creep him out. Inside was safer. After a couple months, he relaxed and the world was his oyster. Hopefully your pupper will find the same.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest AngelPup

I'm not sure how close he was from slipping his martingale, but it looked as though he was going to. I had contacted the adoption agency for advice after the scare we had. She was the one that fitted the collar and said he shouldn't slip the collar if it's on the way she adjusted it. Could it get loose by us slipping it on and off a few times a day? I'm going to double check to be sure it's under his chin and I can only slip two fingers under it. Thanks for the advice! I'm still going to use a harness when we're ready to go back on walks until he's perfectly secure around other dogs. It can't be good for his neck to be pulling so hard.

And if he starts to back away from you, pull the leash down toward the ground. Less chance of him slipping off the collar.

Another great tip! Thanks!

Thanks again to everyone for the wonderful tips and for those who have experience with dogs that reacted the same way, but have overcome their fears. I feel so relieved and hopeful that he, too, will begin to feel more comfortable on walks and with other dogs and people he doesn't know. I really want to be able to bring him as many places as I can!

Guest AngelPup

My Tia was like your Brady when I first got her--she was terrified of non-greyhound dogs and would attack them if she could. She did get a lot better over time. What worked for her was watching other dogs from a distance while I talked cheerfully to her about the other dog ("oh look at his beautiful tail, lovely ears" etc.). I did not want her to sense that I was at all nervous. I would gently and slowly work at getting her closer to other dogs, but did not push it. She was much more comfortable with puppies so we would get closer to them. And I enrolled her in an obedience class, with the instructor's understanding that we were there mostly to work on her interaction skills. The class took place in a huge room and, in the beginning, we would be at one end and the rest of the class at the other end. By the time the class sessions were over, Tia would walk with the other dogs (although she was never quite sure of a beagle and the strange sounds it made).

This is great advice! Once he's settled, I'm going to try obedience, just to socialize at first. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Congrats on your new pup! You may find this article of interest. No Fear No Pain by Kathleen Gilley.

Thanks, this is GREAT!

Guest zombrie

If you can set it up, definitely walk with Abigail!!! One of my greyhounds was also petrified of non-greyhounds when I brought her home. I walked whenever I could with other greyhounds and it gave her so much confidence - it was like night and day. After a couple months she was fine with other dogs... then I added my other greyhound Doolin and all her issues went away :lol

Guest AngelPup

If you can set it up, definitely walk with Abigail!!! One of my greyhounds was also petrified of non-greyhounds when I brought her home. I walked whenever I could with other greyhounds and it gave her so much confidence - it was like night and day. After a couple months she was fine with other dogs... then I added my other greyhound Doolin and all her issues went away :lol

Yes, I definitely plan on contacting Abigail. I'm also going to participate in the local greyhound walks. It is really encouraging to me that other greyhounds went through the same thing. It would be such a shame if this was something he would always have an issue with--I want him to have fun wherever we go! He does seem to be getting more and more comfortable around our home and seems to want to go and explore more, so that's encouraging too!

You've gotten some really great advice here.

This behaviour could be just related to the initial settling in, or perhaps it is a fear that will persist a little longer.

Just one thing I want to add from personal experience: If it is indeed a fear beyond the normal settling in process, go SLOW! When we tried to rush our guy, we would get good walking results for a couple of days, then he would revert back to not wanting to leave the front porch. Once we realized that we need to go s l o w l y, we've gotten more 'lasting' results... 9 months of patience every day, twice a day means Boo can now walk a full 4 block square, even past houses with dogs barking in the window. But sometimes we would go weeks where we wouldn't try to actually walk him... just let him sniff around the grass to get familiar with the smells of other dogs and being outside, and then slowly making his 'sniff session' areas bigger.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!

siggie_zpse3afb243.jpg

Bri and Mike with Boo Radley (Williejohnwalker), Bubba (Carlos Danger), and the feline friends foes, Loois and Amir

Guest AngelPup

You've gotten some really great advice here.

This behaviour could be just related to the initial settling in, or perhaps it is a fear that will persist a little longer.

Just one thing I want to add from personal experience: If it is indeed a fear beyond the normal settling in process, go SLOW! When we tried to rush our guy, we would get good walking results for a couple of days, then he would revert back to not wanting to leave the front porch. Once we realized that we need to go s l o w l y, we've gotten more 'lasting' results... 9 months of patience every day, twice a day means Boo can now walk a full 4 block square, even past houses with dogs barking in the window. But sometimes we would go weeks where we wouldn't try to actually walk him... just let him sniff around the grass to get familiar with the smells of other dogs and being outside, and then slowly making his 'sniff session' areas bigger.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress!

Thanks for the advice! I definitely plan on taking it slow and letting him become more comfortable with his new lifestyle.... one step at a time.