Tramatized!

Guest dobiegrey

Guest dobiegrey

I have been so upset for the last week I have not even come on to tell you guys, if I knew how to post pictures I would, but once again on a lovely evening walk last Sunday night we were attacked again, or should I say Betty was severely attacked again, this time by a big black 80 or 90 pound mix breed, he was huge and he was hell bent to kill her!!! I tried desparately to put my body in between her and that dog but he was moving so fast towards us there was nothing I could do, I am not going into too much detail but he grabbed her by the skin on her waist and kept going and her skin was degloved all the way to her hindquarters and down and around her left rear leg, I watched in horror the whole thing, I really truly don't feel I will ever be the same. By the time he got her flipped over and on the ground the owners were on top of him pulling him over also in utter shock!!! He is 10 years old and they have never had a problem and I know I had never before seen him out. Anyway the first night at the Evet was $1700 but of course that was an Evet!!! The next day I picked her up and transfered her to my vets who have been caring for the wound since, there was NO SKIN OR FUR left so there was nothing to stitch, they put her under and tried but could not close anything so we have months of wound care ahead of us, it has been a week and it is already healing and shrinking, Thank God!!! but now it is about the size of a dinner plate instead of a turkey dinner platter, but as long as I know she will heal I am ok with scars and we will keep moving forward.....they want me to continue to take her on small small walks to keep the skin loose and flexible as it heals, and she still loves loves loves her walks? After two attacks I don't know how but she does. I ask all of my Greytalk friends please pray for us, for her healing and my strength to overcome the fear I have in walking her, than to top it off this past Friday we found out that my boy Jack the Dobie has Cardiomyopathy?!?!?!? Damn it sounds like a soap opera, I just cannot believe it!! He seems at this time to be responding well to all the meds they have him on, but he could be gone anywhere from 1 week to 6 months is the average, I really feel like I got hit by a car than it stopped and backed over me!!! Please pray for us...I have asked on facebook friends and I can truly feel the prayers giving me strength, so thank you in advance, I can email pictures to someone that can post them if you should want to see them, they ARE NOT nice. Sorry for being so long winded. But it was time to share. Thanks for reading.

Lou

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

OMG , the worst Nightmare . Prayers and healing Thoughts for Betty and Hugs for you .

My Friends little Dog has been attacked by two bigger Dogs . She only goes out with a big Stick in her Hand and she will use it on anything that will attack.

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest dobiegrey

Yep, you've got that right, it was and is the worse nightmare I have ever experienced!!! I need something to protect us, but the animal control guy said the spray stuff is useless, some dogs it even makes madder!! I was thinking about a Cattle Prod, don't know if it is enough voltage to stop and freight train dog like this one, or a taser/stun gun, but I don't want a dog to get close enough to us. Any one have experience with a Cattle Prod to know if it would stop and charging bull oops I mean dog!!!

Wow, that is unbelievable. I am continually shocked at the number of people who let their dogs loose on their property to run out at other dogs (aggressive or not) :o. I can't imagine having a dog attack like that, and to go through it twice is just crazy. Are the owners paying for the bills? So sorry about all of these things happening at once. Hoping the wounds (mental and physical) heal up.

Oh my word. Best wishes for you and your girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Scouts_mom

Oh my God! That is horrible. You certainly have my prayers. I hope the other owners have stepped up and are paying the vet bills.

I remember years ago there was an article in Celebrating Greyhounds about a boy who had a similar wound. It took time, but he did heal just fine. Gentle ear skritches to Betty.

Oh my god, bless you for your bravery. I don't think I could ever go on a walk again! My prayers are with you both.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am so sorry! What a nightmare indeed! I live in fear of something like this every time we go for a walk. I am actually grateful for the hot summer temps, as I don't walk them in the heat. I hope she recovers without complications, and no mental trauma (sounds like she has escaped that!)

As for your Jack, the meds can make a huge difference, he could still have a good long life ahead.

:candle :candle

Guest dobiegrey

Anybody know anything about a cattle prod? will it hurt enough to chase them away but not enough to kill them I don't want to do that either, my girl just adores her walks and I cannot punish her for others irresponsiblity.

Anybody know anything about a cattle prod? will it hurt enough to chase them away but not enough to kill them I don't want to do that either, my girl just adores her walks and I cannot punish her for others irresponsiblity.

Be sure you check the laws in your area, cattle prod type things are not legal everywhere. Stun guns & tasers are legal most places.

I can't hardly even imagine this and what it put you both through. SO, so sorry!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest grey_dreams

OMG what a nightmare! Sending prayers for Betty's rapid healing and recovery, and wishing you both a lot of strength as you move forward. :grouphug

I hope the owners of that dog are covering all of your expenses!

Guest dobiegrey

Luckily the owners of the other dog are just as devastated!! They are going to pay us what they can as they can, she is the primary breadwinner and he is a law student so their money is not free flowing, but they are nice young couple, he even went with me to the Evet and cried several times on the way down, they continue to check on her....but I will not count the money til I get it ;)

I know some of the terror of what you went through. Chase was attacked in my backyard by the neighbor's dog. The fear didn't end when the attack was over. When I layed down to sleep every time I closed my eyes I would see relive it over and over and over again. That happened about a year and a half ago and Chase is finally starting to show signs of overcoming the mental trauma from it. I pray you and Betty heal both physically and mentally and that Jack does better than expected. :grouphug

Having recently exerienced a dog attack, by a smaller, aggressive dog, I can understand your pain and fear. I wish you and Betty all the best for a full and speedy recovery. All the best for Jack and let him beat the odds.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds