Tramatized!

Guest dobiegrey

The animal control guy is wrong. Halt works very well. I never leave the house without it.

Not trying to pick a fight but I agree with the aforementioned ACO. I was an ACO (sworn) in Louisville KY and a street cop (uniform division/training officer) for ~8 years. It was also my experience that even the military grade chemical sprays would not deter much less stop a determined aggressor-man or beast. The only way I found to stop their attack is to disable them someway so their body don't work and they can't continue it. I have zero reservations about forever neutralizing aggressors harming me or mine but thats just me.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How are you and Betty doing today?

prayers for a speedy recovery both physically and mentally!

:grouphug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Very few of us are worried about harming a dog attacking our dogs.

But many of us worry about using force in a dog melee, where our own dogs might be injured by accident. We may be prepared to use lethal force against an aggressor dog, how are we going to feel if our own dogs get in the way?

Adrianne's Chevy was accidentally kicked by someone aiming at an attacking dog...

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I am so sorry to hear this bad news. When we walk the dog (S), we always carry a spray. We do have loose dogs around our area.

You and Betty are in our prayers.

Soon, Cassy & Twitter

Angel Hounds: Rowdy, Easy & Harry

Oh how frightening for you and Betty. Hugs and healing thoughts for both of you.

I've had a few close calls over the years. One time I was walking my original two hounds and we were charged by a crazy old Golden Retriever that was loose in its yard. Charged us while were walking down the sidewalk.

My hounds went bonkers. The leashes and dogs got tangled and wrapped around my legs. I fell down on the sidewalk - desperately trying to hold on to the leashes so I wouldn't lose my hounds. Eventually the owners came out but never apologized or asked if we were okay. Jerks.

Another time we were walking on a path near a municipal dog park. Not in the park. Some dog (looked like a pit mix or about the same size) ran toward and scaled the dog park fence. Up and over then came running toward us. Holy cr@p!! Once again, my hounds went bonkers - all the while the owner was just standing within the confines of the dog park saying "oh, she won't hurt you!." Really??!

At that point, I started to walk each dog separately and/or loaded them in my vehicle and drove to areas where we were less likely to run into other dogs -- i.e., the community college complex (on weekends), the municipal or library complex (after hours), a few local parks. It was worth the time and effort. Worrying about and/or fending off loose dogs just became too stressful for me and I didn't want my hounds injured.

How awful. I am so sorry this happened to you and Betty.

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

I am so sorry you and your grey went through this. Horrible. It was painful just to read what your grey has gone through. Sending healing thoughts.

I just had an experience yesterday, believe it or not, with my two greys and a huge dog - I think some type/mix St Bernard. We were at a county park on our way to the car after hiking and came across a woman holding this dog by the leash. She was almost half its size and in a split second it dragged her toward us and she fell, losing hold of the leash. Of course the beast came right at my male grey and proceeded to try to bite him on the rear leg. I am a tall woman, and know running is useless when a dog is after you - but I do carry Direct Stop spray at all times, and contrary to what some have said, I have used this successfully 3 times including yesterday. I sprayed the beast dog in the face full force and it stopped him. It seemed shocked at the stream of spray and backed away. The woman was finally there and dragged the dog to the side of the road, screaming at him to stay.

Then she had the nerve to ask me what kind of chemical did I spray on her dog!

I am only relating my experience and may have had a few factors in my favor. My greys were unhurt. I know I could not manage whacking a dog with any sort of stick/bat and maintain holding my two greys at the same time. I am not that coordinated and since I hike a lot, carrying that would not be convenient - just me. But I can easily reach in my pocket and spray. I also have a pepper spray. For me, in a surprise situation, this is the easiest and quickest 'weapon' I can access.

Just my experience. I wish your sweetie a quick recovery and hope you are feeling better too. It is an unbelievably scary experience.

oh my God :( :( :( your poor baby! sending many, many prayers!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest dobiegrey

Betty's wound is looking pretty good considering.....it is now 15cc across at the widest point, can't even tell you what it started at, we didn't think to measure it, but 2 days ago it was 16cc at widest, and it is 14cc up and down at largest point...still looks terrible, but it is healing and that is all I ask for. Time will heal this and I hope my emotions too. Yesterday I took her for a little walk up the street that docs want me to keep taking her on little walks to keep the skin stretching as it heals, anyway, I got up around the next street and saw a women walking a huge dog and she had absolutely NO control over that dog, he was dragging her down the street, well needless to say that scared the crap out of me and we turned around and headed home, I have to get something to protect myself!!! Jack is responding well to the heart meds, so I am praying for a few more months.....Please keep the good thoughts and prayers coming I can truly feel them so please don't stop!! Thanks

Lou

:bighug

:hope

Take your time....it WILL get better.

It took me a LONG time before I could walk down the road where we were attacked in Feb 2012.

And the dog that attacked us was not even there anymore and everyone else's dogs are super friendly and always under control.

We had a Dobe who did very well on medication after his diagnosis. He lived for another year. And it was a good year.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest AngelPup

Wow. That is unbelievable! I'm lifting your beloved Betty up in prayer for a speedy recovery and you for the peace and courage to get you through this.

So glad to see a positive update on Betty. I can't imagine how terrifying the attack was, and my heart is aching for you, as yours is aching for your sweet girl. Lots of prayers and white healing light still coming!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Lou is as amazing as Betty is resilient. Lou said that Betty still wags her tail and gets excited about going to the Vet for dressing changes. She's truly an angel among us.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Wish Lou would post the "healing" pictures. They are quite simply amazing!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dobiegrey

Linda, I don't know how to post pictures, if I send them to you will you post them for me??? They are quite amazing! But she is getting spoiled a bit, she is not eating as well as she usually does unless I put yogart on her food?!?!?! This kind of thing happens everytime she has to be on antibiotics which because of the extent of the wound she was on for 14 days, because all antibiotics cause her eating to change and back off I even got injectable this time and gave her a shot each morning so they didn't have to pass through her stomach, but still she acts like she doesn't like the food she use to love, the exact same thing happened in November when she got bit by another free roaming dog (why my poor Betty??) anyway I guess the princess will get yogart, because when one of my dogs don't eat I FREAK!!! Just had blood work done and all was fine nothing to worry about, but you know me I am worried and my anxiety goes through the roof at feeding time which doesn't help, here's Jack dying with Cardio and still eating like a horse, Thank God!! This too shall pass!! We will figure out something, I am thinking maybe the heat has slowed her eating down, most of the time she eats just won't finish without yogart but tonight she wouldn't even start to eat without the yogart than she ate the whole dish!!! Ugh!! These dogs are gonna kill me!!

dobiegrey. Hope Betty and you and your dobie are doing better. Maddie is "hunger striking" at this time and not eating like she should. Mads is a food hound so this is not usual for her. So I have been giving my princess applesauce and canned wet dog food on her dry dog food and she seems to be eating more. Also tuna fish and shredded cheese seem to be working as well. we are thinking of you all.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest dexter

i can relate to your story and good thoughts are being sent your way. 2 years ago, i was fostering an older chesapeke bay retriever, she had been with the family for 3 months and got along fine with my 3 goldens, however one morning she put her head on one of my goldens back and i knew that meant trouble. the attack was totally unprovoked. i trie3d to use the hose to break it up, didn't work, thank god my son was home, he came running out and literally punched the chesapeke in the face. my golden's ear was bitten quite bad, but it healed well. as for the chesapeke, i was so mad i brought her to the vet and wanted to put her down, however someone wanted her, welllong story short, she died within 2 weeks, apparently she had a blockage and was full of camcer. maybe those people's dog also has a health problem, but that is no excuse for a loose dog.

Guest dobiegrey

You know it's weird it is not like a hunger strike really it is just her food!! Today my granddog was here so I tried a little of her shepard pie blue buffalo can on Betty's food and she literally gobbled it up!!! Her food and all, but when she got to the end and it was just some of her food she walked away, I put some yogart on what was left and she ate it. Now HER food is homemade food made by my husband, with ground turkey, veggies, brown rice and oatmeal and before the attack she would go for it like crazy, but since the attack she will walk away if it doesn't have something else on it, like today or yogart, it started where she would eat most of it than walk away, than I would add yogart and she would finish now she will not even start without something else, this is not her personality, it happened in November when she was on antibiotics before and started this time when on the antibiotics, but continues as if the taste of her food has changed to her, I don't know maybe I am just going looney!!! I just read an article about the health benefits of owning dogs but right now these guys are killing me!!! My husband says she is just getting spoiled and if she gets hungry she will eat, but like I said before I freak

Edited by dobiegrey

We know that some meds do change the taste of food for humans. No reason to suppose it doesn't happen to dogs too. You're not spoiling her, you're responding to her need. :)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest psdirector

I am so sorry that you and Betty are going through this. This is absolutely my worst nightmare.

A good friend of ours was walking his mixed breed, Charley, yesterday near his house and and off-leash dog attacked Charley. Poor Charley backed out of his collar and ran with the attacking dog in pursuit. My friend finally got Charley and the other owner showed up. My friend told him that there are leash laws and that he should control his dog. The owner of the attacking dog said, "Your dog is off leash, too" as my friend is standing there with his dog's collar and leash in his hand! He called Animal Control on the guy. I can't believe how irresponsible people are with their dogs.

I just won't walk my greys without my DH along with us. Not that that would necessarily help anything, but he's a big guy and he would not hesitate to harm dogs that were hurting our dogs. I'm not sure I could do that and hold my own dogs at the same time. Of course in an emergency, I could probably do a lot more than I think I could!

Sending prayers for Betty's quick recovery!