Zeke Is Terrified Of Thunder :(

we've had Zeke since the beginning of the year and although we've had a couple storms already (and he was fine???), today he is TERRIFIED now with the storms and thunder we are having today :(

he was "off" when I got home from work and thought he just might not feel well, but now I know that it was the thunder while I was away that stressed him and was making him act weird. :(

I've only had one other dog (a small Schipperke) that was thunder-phobic and nothing we did helped with him.

what's helped/worked with others? I just hate this :(

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

www.thundershirt.com

This product has worked very well on our two dogs who are thunderphobic. The change in them when wearing the coat is amazing. Having said that....it does not work on all dogs. Some dogs it seems to be the static in the air that makes them nervous and these coats don't do anything for that. I suggest getting one and trying it, you can always take back if it doesn't work. THey have videos on their website to show how the coats work.

ETA - your response is also important. No babying them during the storm. Act like everything is just fine.

Edited by montgomery2524

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

The Thundershirt was the only thing that helped here. Not perfect but a great improvement. I find it needs to be on before the first boomer is heard. I am finding that more and more often I don't need the Thundershirt, it's like she's learning that the thunder won't actually kill her. Unless it's a giant storm, then she loses it if I don't have the shirt on in time. For minor storms, she will come lie by me, ask for a bit of reassurance and then curl up. I don't hesitate to provide the reassurance but I also don't go overboard with it.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I second (third?) recommending the Thundershirt. With Charlotte, it helps, but is just part of a system that's resolved over time. We also give her Pro-Calm gel (www.k9granolafactory.com), close her in her crate, and put on music. When things are really bad, one of us ends up sleeping at the foot of the crate :)

Good luck!

The Thundershirt has worked for many, and it's worth a shot. Rescue Remedy and other herbal calming formulas, DAP diffusers and collars, desensization CD's and training, and melatonin are all things you can try.

If he needs prescription help, you will need a short-term, anti-anxiety medication like valium or xanax. These also need to be given BEFORE he becomes anxious about the storm, so timing is crucial.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We used Rescue Remedy with Rusty. It helped some, but didn't take all the anxiety away.

Jodie D (hope to have another grey name her soon)
Missing my Bridge Babies:
Rusty (Cut a Rusty) 10/18/95-06/09/09
Solo (Tali Solo Nino) 01/10/98-03/25/10
Franny (Frohmader) 02/28/04-08/31/17

My Ruby was afraid of storms too. She would go to the basement, which was finished and had cozy dog beds--but she'd usually head for my son's old bedroom down there, which was truly the quietest spot. We kept a bed in there for her; it was her 'safe spot'.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Melatonin works for some and did work for mine until I wasn't home to give it to her during a really bad storm. Now we're doing behavior therapy with a very small dose of valium. Seems to be getting better.

Hey Kim -- I have a Thundershirt that I can loan you to try (XL), have some melatonin, Rescue Remedy, and as well as a few other herbal options if you'd like to see what will work on Zeke. Feel free to give me a call at 630.567.0506 and I'll meet you somewhere.

Julie

I second the ThunderShirt!! And follow their "training" instructions!! Just buying the TS and putting it on the dog when the next thunderstorm happens will not work. The owners need to work with the TS and the dog during non-stressful times for positive results. :)

Also the dosage for melatonin in our house is 10 mg. although it did little to alleviate thunder-phobia for our two freak dogs. But it helped grow butt hair! :rofl :rofl :rofl

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

We've had great success with the Storm Defender Cape for Murray. Just putting the cape on him seems to help him settle down during the storm. That cape has a money back guarantee, so we felt like we had nothing to lose in purchasing it.

I do not ignore him during a storm. I hold him and rock him like a baby during a storm while he's wearing the cape. Murray used to shake and pant so badly that I thought he'd give himself a heart attack. It was awful to watch. I got down on the floor and rocked him. That helped him immediately. Things have really improved for him over time. Hoping the same will be true for Zeke. :goodluck

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I'm with Tricia. If my dog is upset, I'm going to comfort him -- just like I would with a scared kid. "There, there, honey, it's ok, jump into bed with Mommy now." We give Joe Xanax when a storm is coming, and it helps a lot, but being near us helps more. Storms early in the season are more stressful than later ones for him. Each year, we can drug less and just cuddle eventually. I don't have a Thundershirt -- but I'm thinking about it for days it might storm if I can't be with him.

Guest WhiteWave

Xanax is about the only thing that works for Ronon. Melatonin and L-theanine seems to help if it is a mild storm, but bad storms it doesn't. Thundershirt did nothing for Ronon. I'm grateful my other dogs don't care. Joey will run in around in the yard and play in the middle of a storm. I had to go out and drag him back inside! Ronon won't go outside if a storm is coming, he hears fireworks or gun shots. He is very noise phobic.

Hey Kim -- I have a Thundershirt that I can loan you to try (XL), have some melatonin, Rescue Remedy, and as well as a few other herbal options if you'd like to see what will work on Zeke. Feel free to give me a call at 630.567.0506 and I'll meet you somewhere.

Julie

that would be great! not sure if he's an XL but it's worth a shot. Thank you!!! Bruce can pick up RR at Whole Foods but trying the melatonin might help too :)

thankfully the storms have stopped for now -- he was SUPER stressed all night, Bruce actually took him down to the living room with him to sleep, he was so bad. Bruce said he didn't sleep all night. He was panting SO fast -- like 200 breaths per minute! It was horrible. It finally stopped thundering around 8:15am -- and of course, we fed at 5:15 and JUST as he was out and going to poop, a clap comes and forget it. I left for work but got a call from my supervisor the schools were closed so I headed back home and was able to stay with him all day. He was SO tired.

thanks to all for the suggestions! we'll start with this and maybe try other stuff if needed. We used a sedative (not sure now what it was) with our little Schipperke but it's so hard, you have to KNOW a storm is coming. If it hits while we're at work, it's no good. I wish there was something you could give daily just in case.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

The only thing that worked for my angel Dusty was if I gently and calmly lifted her up and placed her in her crate, locking her in. She just loved her crate - it was her safe zone - but she wouldn't go in if it was threatening to storm. Once she was in, though, she calmed down and was able to slow her panting to a controlled, healthy pace. We always called her our early storm-warning system - a storm could be miles off, no audible thunder and maybe only a couple clouds in the sky, but if there was a storm anywhere nearby, she was sure to let us know by standing in the center of the room, panting heavily. Rescue remedy did nothing, and I hadn't heard of thundershirts before, so I tried locking her in her crate so she could calm down and it worked. Did I mention that she LOVED her crate? She passed two years ago, but whenever it thunders I still have this moment where I expect her to be there, panting and staring at me.

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

It's funny how new dogs make experienced owners learn new things. I was in your situation not too long ago. All the other dogs who had gone through my house didn't even blink when the heavens crashed. Then I added Zoe and now I know a storm is a comin' before it hits. We've definitely become obsessive about storm tracking.

We use a Thundershirt and like Wendy said it only works if you follow the training instructions. If I miss a warning I've definitely snuggle my girl to help ease the stress. It's very hard to watch them stress out so bad :(

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

There's a difference between "coddle" and "reassure." If my dog is stressed and scared, I'm certainly not going to leave them entirely alone to deal with whatever it is. I'm not going to baby talk and fawn all over them, but I'm also not going to ignore their distress. Remaining calm is key. Speak in a low, pleasant voice to them. Physical touch if the dog accepts it (some do and some don't when they are anxious). Make them a quiet spot in the bathroom or bedroom or closet or crate where they can remain for as long as it takes and feel safe there.

Dogs can tell the difference between reinforcing a negative behavior and comfort.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly