New Grey With Tank For A Bladder

Guest Frannie

Guest Frannie

Yurtie came home on Saturday, and we are madly in love. I have never met such a sweet, sweet dog. He just wants to be in my arms, and I'm overjoyed. He's good, responsive, and a quick study. There isn't a thing about him I don't adore. I'm taking a few days off work to get him used to surroundings, and then I'll be going back.

So here's the problem. his bladder must be enormous. I'm taking him out every couple of hours, and when he pees outside, i make a fool out of myself throwing him a party. I keep liver treats at the ready. The one time he has gone inside, I have staged a complete meltdown (I am small but I have big yell when I need it), and a friend gave me a great noisemaker.

He can go forever without emptying himself. This morning, after eight hours of sleep, I took him and Mable out. It took over 45 minutes for him to lift his leg. the weather is miserable, we got soaked, and I got worried. Finally, after sniffing around the backyard for about 10 minutes, he let it rip--a nice, long, unending stream. I could've counted to 50. This has been true since I brought him home. he has only had one accident in the house, and I'm very proud of him for that. The accident, like his good outdoor pees, was a lake.

Once I get back on my work schedule, I'm going to need to limit the length of his walks. He will get nice, long ones, but at some point each day I will have to honor my own clock. We will be going out early in the morning, before I leave for work, when I come home from lunch, when I come home in the evening, and before bed. I will need him to learn this routine. Right now, I am just taking him out frequently until he produces, since his routine seems kind of non-existent! Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get the dog who isn't housebroken to relieve himself in the space of a few minutes?

He is a darling.

Speaking as the slave to another tank-bladder dog, I've found that paying Aston to pee is the best way to get him to up his marking count. Even if I didn't make it home at lunch in the beginning, I would get home after work and take Aston out immediately.. only to watch him wander around sniffing in the most leisurely of fashions. Couldn't fathom it. I started taking little tiny bits of stinky treat out with us, and when he pees even a LITTLE, I make it rain :lol Now, he'll pee a lot more frequently outdoors (though still not even NEAR the amount that any other dog I've seen will do), and will often have his eyes fixated on my treat bag while hiking a leg on a tree. To get him to empty out, we just walk him for a longer period, following the same pee-paycheck routine.

Hope this helps!

Put him on the schedule you need him to be on NOW while you can monitor him. And don't forget to do your alone training!

If you need him to pee, take him by the places where's he has done so before more frequently - even stop there for a few minutes. Walk on and then return by the same spot. He also may be having trouble learning to go potty on a leash, so give him a little time.

Also, causing a ruckus when they go in the house is not usually productive - it just scares them, and doesn't connect to the pottying. Take him out immediately and praise him if he pees even a tiny bit. Clean up inside with an enzyme cleaner.

Congrats and welcome!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I think he will adjust easily. I have my hounds pretty much on the same schedule you mentioned as your soon-to-be work schedule: out in the morning for a walk, lunch time break in the yard or on a leash to the end of the road (just to relieve themselves), an afternoon walk and then one last break to relieve themselves before bed. Sagan has never once peed in the house. Merlin peed a couple of times and then figured it out.

Sagan is a bit like your boy. He takes FOREVER to pee. At lunchtime when I let them out, Merlin goes out, squats, pees a long pee, and trots back to me for his cookie. Sagan walks round and round and round and round the backyard looking for the right spot, or stands there like a sack of potatoes looking clueless :rolleyes:, and I have to snap him out of his reverie several times to "remind" him that he needs to go pee. He is the most indecisive dog on the planet. It used to drive me bonkers, but however many things I tried - positive reinforcement when he goes, blah blah blah - he is still super indecisive. But I noticed that when I took him out on a leash, he would poo and then pee within 5-10 minutes of us setting out. So now if I'm in a real hurry, I just take him out on a leash instead of letting out into the yard.

One thing... if he has another accident in the house, please don't yell. Far from helping him understand, it will make him nervous and undermine the trust you're building between each other. Yelling at a dog is never an appropriate response. I am not saying we haven't all been tempted to do it at one time or another -- we all get angry and frustrated, believe me, I live with a dog who is super picky with his food, and incredibly opinionated, and won't come when called -- but yelling isn't going to solve the problem. Putting him on a schedule will, and you have. You're doing it right! Keep at it! :)

PS Yurtie?? OMG. I love that name!!

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I tried using this http://www.petco.com/product/112645/Natures-Miracle-House-Breaking-Go-Here-Spray.aspx with our male greyhound who also has a tank bladder. I sprayed it on some bushes around our house to try and get him to go a bit quicker; he loves to mark over other dogs' scents. It worked once or twice but I found the smell of the stuff to be so overpowering that I couldn't even keep the bottle in the house. It seriously smells like the elephant enclosures at a zoo!

Our boy also learned quickly that the longer he held his business, the longer his walk. So, after a few weeks of those 45 minute walks, I started shortening them to around 20 minutes each and he figured out that if he hasn't pooped or peed by the time we turn around to head home, he'd better get it over with. He's never had an accident in the house. I think your "pee party" strategy combined with a shorter walk time will work out fine. As for the Nature's Miracle spray...jury is still out on that one.

I walk before and after work to take care of bathroom duties, usually 45-60 minutes based on weather and my schedule. If we are in a time crunch or if it's very cold/warm out. We'll modify our route to go past high dog traffic areas so he marks up a storm and empties himself out. He's also got a bladder the size of a beach ball so I continue the walk (if time permits) until he's shooting blanks then head for home. :walk

Edited by Jimbuck

Guest Frannie

Thanks everyone. I hope no one thinks I am being mean to Yurtie. I would rather die! Thanks for correcting me on raising my voice - so, what, then, do you do -- put the leg down, say OUTSIDE, get him leashed and out presto? Here's another thing: he has to go downstairs to go out and he is just learning stairs. they scare him.

I have the nature's miracle spray for designating where to go outside; so far it hasn't inspired him. my neighborhood is very doggie, but he hasn't wanted to leave any messages in the various "in-boxes" around here. he has used the back yard twice, so I am HOPING HOPING HOPING that he will find himself a Yurtie Room or two back there. He is the same with pooping - infrequent (only 2x since Saturday), and then he lets loose a series of, um, medium-sized boulders.

time soon to go out into the sleet with him. fingers crossed. (I love the name too, my sister HATES it! I think I might start calling her that.)

Frannie, Mablegirl, Yurtie and the five angels

update:

we just went out in the back yard and in 10 minutes Yurtiedog did EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I am SO HAPPY!

:D

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

update:

we just went out in the back yard and in 10 minutes Yurtiedog did EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I am SO HAPPY!

YEA!!!! Thinking outside the box, do you think if you reward him with treats for every pee he's going to pee less each time to get more treats until he finally has to let lose a flood? I know that sounds crazy but I have two dogs that firmly ration their pee on walks.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

YEA!!!! Thinking outside the box, do you think if you reward him with treats for every pee he's going to pee less each time to get more treats until he finally has to let lose a flood? I know that sounds crazy but I have two dogs that firmly ration their pee on walks.

It's not crazy. Annie always gets a (small) treat when we come back in the house after she's pee'd (always on leash because my yard is not fenced). It got so she was asking to go out every 2 hours and ya know, they can always squeeze out something. I put my foot down, so to speak, and take her out no more than every 4 hours.

What you do if you catch him in the act is say, "No no no" or something (don't holler!) and take him outside.

You are on the right track.

As the owner of a dog with a bladder of a THIMBLE, count your blessings! He'll probably be one of those dogs that sleeps late on weekends! I can only dream of such things...

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hi Frannie! :wave

I'm so happy for you that Yurt is settling in so well. He has had a BIG change in his life in the last few days and he has to get used to everything! His bathroom habits will adjust to your schedule- as they are already doing! Be happy that he has a strong bladder. It's better that George's bladder and also our Ambi's. As Chris said, remember to do alone training.

How is Mable adjusting to Yurtie?

Tin, Michael and the zoo

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Yurtie sounds like a winner and so do you! Congratulations and get prepared for the ride of a lifetime because that is what having a grey in your life is like!

Frannie are you going to post a picture of Yurt so everyone can see him? He is so cute!

ETA I can't spell tonight.

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I agree with those who said don't yell. It's usually unproductive and yes, it can scare them and unexpected things can happen. A recent adopter here has an immaculate garden and when her new greyhound set foot in it for the first time he lifted his leg at a bush and she yelled at the top of her voice, because it was a favourite of hers. Well, from that day the dog refused to pee anywhere in the garden and she had to leash walk him. If she didn't, he peed in the house. And no, yelling at him IN the house didn't cure him of it - by then he was a thoroughly confused dog!

What you do is pick a phrase or a key word and each time your dog does something you don't want him to do, you freeze, look at him and say the phrase or word. I use 'Uh-Uh!' Not yelled, but said sharply, in a warning tone. I've never had to teach a dog what it means, they seem to instinctively understand that I'm not pleased, and they stop what they're doing.

And yes, if you catch him in the act of peeing indoors, it's 'Uh-Uh!' (or whatever) and quickly take him out. If he pees outside at that point, huge amounts of happy praise. He'll get the idea pretty quickly!

I also teach them the words 'Go pee' and they understand what I want. They'll only do it if they need to, of course, but I've never had any trouble collecting a urine sample. ;)

Oh, and one more thought: do you turn around and head for home as soon as Yurtie has performed? If so, you may be teaching him to hold it so he can stay out longer. Try to let him walk for a little longer after he's peed and pooped before rushing him home, and see if that makes any difference.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Once Yurtie learns the routine you will be surprised with how he will cooperate with your schedule. My boy even understands when there is no walk happening and will completely empty himself in the yard. If he is expecting a walk he will refuse to pee in the yard.

Just be patient. Also I would avoid persisting with the treats once he gets things going in the direction you want.

Edited by KickReturn

Guest Frannie

two steps forward and one step back. we just came in from a brief morning walk (Yurtie may be one of those greys who just doesn't feel comfortable peeing on leash), and I let the two dogs go in the yard. It is VERY cold here. We were in the yard for almost an hour, and a very big poop but no pee. I started feeling like a monster watching him shiver and giving me that longing, heartbreaking Yurtie-look. He walked around, was about to lift his leg several times, but just didn't quite get around to it.

So he's in his crate now. Since I am off work today, I can manage to be this flexible but when I go back I am afraid I will have to set my alarm for the wee(wee) small hours! We're going back out after breakfast, but I'm getting kind of concerned. I've never seen this in any of my other greys.

Also, he is reluctant to go in his crate, even with bones and treats and toys and sweet talk. I don't want him to think of the crate as jail (I leave it open when he's not in it, so he can hang out there if he feels like it, which he doesn't much.)

So, seeking support still on the ongoing pee saga, and convincing a newbie that the crate is not punishment. (I even hang out beside it and read when he's in there.)

All this aside, I am so in love it is pitiful.

I agree that I need to take him out alone, and will do that after I've had my coffee.

Thanks everyone, and yes, Tin (hi, good to see you here! How is Michael?), pictures are coming. His adoption photo does nothin' for him!

Edited by Frannie

Guest Frannie

have to leave the house for a while... out again and still no pee, so I called my vet. The woman I spoke with said that some dogs and cats pee infrequently and not to worry. if he hasn't peed by this afternoon she told me to call again. i have never heard of this; what do people think? will take him out one more time before i go...

i want to do everything right here...

Things may change with time as well. Lila didn’t pee as frequently as I thought she should when I first got her. I was used to dogs who peed whenever you put them out and she just didn’t. As she got used to stuff she went more frequently and now she goes almost every time she’s outside, unless of course she just went recently.

The other thing that has worked for me is to put potting on a cue. I started saying “good girl go pee” and “good girl go poop” when I first got her. She knows the difference and does take the suggestion. Obviously I can’t make her go when she doesn’t have to but it does let her know that she needs to do her business and not just lounge in the yard.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

If he's not in any distress (panting, pacing, unable to settle), I would not worry so much about it right now. Some greys just have bladders of steel and they don't go as often. Our first greyhound once held it for three days because she refused to pee outside during a storm. She was fine and never had an accident in the house.

So unless there's evidence that he can't hold it while you're gone, just let him be. Put him on the schedule you want him to be on. Leave him alone and see what happens. You're not going to "break" him, and he's not going to be ruined if he does have an accident.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My boy has a bladder like a tank as well. Just keep him on a schedule and watch him. If he doesn't go on the morning walk, wait until the afternoon (unless of course he shows signs that he needs to go). I've had Atticus for a year and he's still like this. Now we just take him out less frequently-- usually only 2 or 3 times a day. I think he's just extremely picky. Won't pee in the rain, or if it's too cold and windy, or if it's too dark out, or if there's a weird snow pile over there that wasn't there yesterday, etc. For a while I worried that he had a medical issue. He's held it for 24 hours many times, by his own choice! (We've been through a hurricane, a frankenstorm, a couple of nor'easters and a blizzard since we adopted him!) He's never once had an accident.

Finally I just accepted that him peeing in the house wasn't as bad as constantly worrying about it and trying to coerce him into the cold every hour. Giving him a cue ("go pee") and throwing a little party helps too. Atticus likes to spend forever searching for the perfect spot, so once he starts sniffing I tell him to go. It works 75% of the time. You might find that he's more eager to pee once the weather warms up a bit too.

Guest Isabella

Izzy picks the most inopportune times to "dilly dally" about peeing....during a blizzard, at 6 am, any time that I am in a hurry! I am hoping to have my fence up before the real rainy season sets in :yikes