Beanie Is Losing Her Battle With Lymphoma

I am so sorry for you and your sweet Beanie. Cancer does suck, it took our Opie too in December. You will know what is right, and when, for Beanie.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Oh no! I'm so sorry. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm so sorry.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Well crap :-(. How was the diagnosis staged? Have you discussed a rescue protocol? Please don't feel that I'm suggesting you are stopping prematurely-I would never question someones personal feelings-just wondered if you had a heart to heart with your oncologist.

Edited to add-I'm sorry, it sucks either way

My decision to stop the chemo wasn't just based on the lymphoma not responding, but her extreme reaction at the vets. She got so worked up and started hyperventilating to the point her throat sounded like it was closing up and she was gasping for breath. It took her nearly 2 hours from the time we left for her to have some semblance of normal breathing and stop the copious amount of drooling she was doing.

That said I have been rethinking my decision. We did find out something else is going on, she was running a fever of close to 106°, so its a slim possibility that the swollen lymph nodes is related in some part to that. As far as the anxiety goes I talked to my vet and discussed with him about transferring her care to one of the female vets in the practice. I'd like to see if she would have a better response if she was handled by a woman vs a man. I also found out l-aspariginase was available, my vet thought it was hard to come by, so I'd like to give that a try before throwing in the towel. Hopefully she will have a better response with the other vet, because if she doesn't unless there is something I can give at home myself I will have to say enough is enough.

Just wanted to add a thank you to all for your kind thoughts. Unfortunately cancer, in one form or another, is something that too many of us are familiar with.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Btw the l-asp is usually only given once early on in the chop protocol.

:( I hope that doesn't rule its use out. I'm going to send a consult to Dr. Couto with everything we've done so far and ask his thoughts on this and what protocol he recommends we go forward with.

My decision to stop the chemo wasn't just based on the lymphoma not responding, but her extreme reaction at the vets. She got so worked up and started hyperventilating to the point her throat sounded like it was closing up and she was gasping for breath. It took her nearly 2 hours from the time we left for her to have some semblance of normal breathing and stop the copious amount of drooling she was doing.

That said I have been rethinking my decision. We did find out something else is going on, she was running a fever of close to 106°, so its a slim possibility that the swollen lymph nodes is related in some part to that. As far as the anxiety goes I talked to my vet and discussed with him about transferring her care to one of the female vets in the practice. I'd like to see if she would have a better response if she was handled by a woman vs a man. I also found out l-aspariginase was available, my vet thought it was hard to come by, so I'd like to give that a try before throwing in the towel. Hopefully she will have a better response with the other vet, because if she doesn't unless there is something I can give at home myself I will have to say enough is enough.

Just wanted to add a thank you to all for your kind thoughts. Unfortunately cancer, in one form or another, is something that too many of us are familiar with.

I'm sorry you're going thru this. I sure hope she has a little infection somewhere causing this and it's not the lymphona.

:grouphug

I had a client who decided to stop IV chemo for her golden retriever with lymphoma after fairly mild GI side effects. She had a friend who was a human oncologist who suggested trying Leukeran, an oral pill. She discussed it with our veterinary oncologist, and they started the dog on a combination of prednisone and Leukeran. This was a couple years ago, but I think the dog did well for about 4-6 months on that protocol. Not an ideal or well-researched option, but something to consider.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I had a client who decided to stop IV chemo for her golden retriever with lymphoma after fairly mild GI side effects. She had a friend who was a human oncologist who suggested trying Leukeran, an oral pill. She discussed it with our veterinary oncologist, and they started the dog on a combination of prednisone and Leukeran. This was a couple years ago, but I think the dog did well for about 4-6 months on that protocol. Not an ideal or well-researched option, but something to consider.

Jennifer thanks for your input. Beanie is on the RMUW-19 Sequential Chemotherapy Protocol. The first month of this protocol she got vincristine on weeks 1 & 3, cyclophosphamide and furosemide on week 2 and doxorubicin on week 4. Along with these once a week treatments she was on daily doses of prednisone, starting at 2mg/kg and tapering down to 0.5mg/kg. No therapy is given on weeks 5, 10 & 15. The remainder of the scheduled treatment is Vincristine on weeks 6, 8, 11, 13, 16, 18, chlorambucil (Leukeran) on weeks 7, 12 & 17, and doxorubicin on weeks 9, 14 & 19. We were at week 13 this last Tuesday when she had the really bad anxiety episode and high fever so we couldn't do her chemo. I saw a reduction in the swelling of her lymph nodes the first month of treatment after that they became enlarged again and vincristine, chlorambucil and doxorubicin haven't had any effect. I'm trying to get an issue with my GHWP membership resolved so I can inquire of them their thoughts on further treatment, but perhaps prednisone is something to consider. I really am hoping she has a better reaction to the other vet. My greatest worry is that when I have to make the call to let her go her last moments are filled with terror :(. It hurt to lose Bruiser, but with him I have to say the actual process was very peaceful. Bruiser enjoyed being there and I knew it was time when he hardly had the energy anymore to do anything and life for him was becoming a great effort, he wasn't bouncing back like he had done times previously. He was already slipping away when I brought him in, the shot just gave him the release he needed so badly.

Can the vet come to your house?

Unfortunately they won't do that. I've got her a short appointment Tuesday with one of the lady vets at the practice for just a get to know you "happy" visit to see if she responds better to a woman.

Judy this may or may not help - when I was taking Arlie for pamidronate treatments she would get very anxious in the waiting room. So I arranged with the oncologist that we would wait in the car, and she would call my cell when they were all ready for her. I would take her in, they would whisk her back, and that was that. She was still somewhat stressed but avoiding the waiting room really helped her. Of course each situation and hound is different but thought I'd mention it.

Judy this may or may not help - when I was taking Arlie for pamidronate treatments she would get very anxious in the waiting room. So I arranged with the oncologist that we would wait in the car, and she would call my cell when they were all ready for her. I would take her in, they would whisk her back, and that was that. She was still somewhat stressed but avoiding the waiting room really helped her. Of course each situation and hound is different but thought I'd mention it.

I like this idea Mary and will definitely use it. I'm also going to bring along some very high value treats for this visit. Anything to make the time a pleasant one for her.

If your vets won't come to the house when you need them and the timing (i.e., your vet is closed) or Beanie's anxiety at the vet become a problem, you can try googling "home pet euthanasia" and add your zip code. Euthanasia is hard enough without the fear of potential panic on Beanie's part.

I don't have a dog with cancer, but I have a boy who's nearly 13 and has a bad back (among a host of other problems). When the end comes for him, I'd prefer to have him at his vet's, with people he knows. But, just in case, I have the number of a local euthanasia company in my phone. I feel better knowing who I can call.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Oh, I hope Beanie likes the lady vet better! Maybe that, and staying in the car (and the treats) till right before she's seen will make the visits less stressful.

Let us know how she does. Been thinking about both of you a lot. :grouphug

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

If your vets won't come to the house when you need them and the timing (i.e., your vet is closed) or Beanie's anxiety at the vet become a problem, you can try googling "home pet euthanasia" and add your zip code. Euthanasia is hard enough without the fear of potential panic on Beanie's part.

I don't have a dog with cancer, but I have a boy who's nearly 13 and has a bad back (among a host of other problems). When the end comes for him, I'd prefer to have him at his vet's, with people he knows. But, just in case, I have the number of a local euthanasia company in my phone. I feel better knowing who I can call.

I was going to suggest something similar. Most at-home vets require 24 hours notice around here. It is best to contact them in advance. You could also see if your vet would prescribe a sedative for the trip in and/or give a sedative injection while Beanie is in the car as soon as you arrive at the vets. Here is an article from WebMD that might be helpful:

http://pets.webmd.com/features/pet-euthanasia-at-home

However I hope that Beanie's current crisis is related to a controllable infection and that the female vet will be more comforting to Beanie. My thoughts are with you both.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Hope it's an infection. Sending prayers. Would a mild sedative be a possibility? Hope the "happy" visit is a success! Prayers for Beanie and hugs for you, Judy.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

We're back from our vet visit. I was hoping for it to just be a get to know you visit, but Beanie's temperature has not dropped below 103° and last night it was 104°. Her new vet doesn't feel it's an infection, she is leaning more towards an inflammatory response as a result of the lymphoma not being controlled :(. She didn't want to give her anything until she speaks with an oncologist to discuss her case as to what effect it will have on the chemotherapy.

I had found an circular area around her last nipple about 5" in circumference that is red and hot to the touch. I feel that this is playing a role in her fever and she needs a change in antibiotics to deal with it, but she doesn't. At this point I kind of feel like this :riphair

On the positive side Beanie was a little more relaxed, actually a LOT more relaxed compared to the last visit. We were pretty much through before I started seeing signs of heavy stress beginning so I went ahead and took her to the car.

The fever would concern me too. I read that you mentioned the her nodes were back up again-the combo of these two clinical signs is concerning. I'm glad this new vet is being cautious with her approach. Wonder if she'll recommend an abdominal ultrasound at this point? Have you done recent radiographs?

At least she seems to like this Dr so far.