Good Thoughts For Robin Please....

I would appreciate any good thoughts I can get for Robin. He has had a rough week. He has had some increased arthritis pain, and he hasn't been eating (which for this food hound says something!). We went to the vet, and we are certain he has at least one or two bad teeth, and one is broken. So after all of his misery this week, now he has to endure a dental on Tuesday.

Thankfully, he seems to have been feeling better today and yesterday, and he's even eating his meals. But I'm still terribly nervous about the dental, even though I know he needs it, and I know he will feel better. He's going to Angell in Boston, and they will do everything possible for him. But he could use some seriously good thoughts and white light from all of you.

Thanks!

Cathy

The patient:

2012-09-03_13-34-34_94_zps792d0667.jpg

2012-09-03_13-34-42_201_zpsdc44c3b7.jpg

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Recently, my Sam has--for the first time in more than 10 years--walked away from a food dish that wasn't empty. I had been adding water to his kibble. These days, I'm adding Ensure. He adores the Ensure, and if you can let the kibble soak in it, it's easier to chew. (Sam's getting half a bottle of the Ensure at breakfast, half at dinner.) Even if Robin winds up not eating all his kibble, the Ensure will give him some vitamins and minerals and get something on his stomach.

Best wishes for your Robin.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thanks. I've actually been giving him ensure this week, and soaking his kibble, and mixing in wet food, and giving him vitamin paste..... Despite that, and anything I could throw in there or offer him, including eggs, he was eating about half his daily calories for about 5 days, and that with me coaxing and nagging all the way, until yesterday when his appetite finally kicked back in. He's been a little picky for a while, but this was a step up. So I'm glad I can move up the dental (originally scheduled for May). Once that is over, we can get him on some meloxicam for his arthritis, which has been under control wit supplements up until now.

I can't wait until it's over though......

Don't know if this will be of any help to you, but Spencer has been having issues with food and pain lately too. Especially in the a.m., he doesn't want to get up and come to the dish. But if I take the dish to him and hold it so he can eat lying down, he does. Same with walking away before the bowl is empty; if I take it to him, he'll finish it lying down. In any case, sending lots of good thoughts for you and Robin, now and for his dental!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Hope the dental goes well and he can get some relief from the arthritis. Rocket is also a chow hound. When he walks away from food (usually for an upset tummy) I switch over to Evanger's Cooked Chicken, or their Organic Cooked Chicken (both are canned). The non-organic one is wetter and has a little more fat in it - but he goes nuts for it. As his tummy gets better, I switch him to the organic one which seems to have a little more substance to it, but apparently is also irresistible. Might try that if he is walking away from other canned food. .

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

So here's my shopping list for tonight of things to have on hand for after, assuming he had extractions and is pretty sore. I want to get as much into him as ii can so he doesn't lose weight.

Ice cream

Yogurt

Pill pockets for meds

The wet food in the tube that he likes and tolerates

Chicken broth

Am i missing anything?

Make sure you have plenty of old towels on hand. He will probably have some bloody drool, and it is much easier to clean up if you have a bunch of old towels to lay on top of where ever he is sleeping/laying. Hope everything goes well!

Do you have enough Ensure on hand?

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I have two bottles of ensure left. Maybe i should get more...

And i never would have thought of the towels! Thanks.

My ex boyfriend dealt with this the last time. I didn't live with Robin then. So I'm new to this! No idea what to expect for recovery.

Edited by Robin1017

FYI: I've got a girl that gets really nauseated after anesthesia. The evening after surgery, she gets ice cubes to lick. If she gets enough water to actually drink, she'll throw up.

And the morning after anesthesia, she still only gets a couple of swallows of water (and no food) for the first few hours, until I'm sure the water is going to stay down. She thinks she's well enough to drink or eat anything. I found out the hard way about her nausea the morning after her spay, when I gave her a little water to drink and she threw it up. I wound up taking her back to the vet's for an anti-nausea injection.

If you don't know how Robin will do after anesthesia, go slowly. And don't hesitate to take him back to the vet if he's nauseated. In Silver's case, she got a shot (Cerenia) about noontime and was able to eat a normal meal by dinner. When Sam recently had nausea and vomiting (he had an ulcer), it took a little longer after the shot (Anzemet) before he could keep food down without a struggle.

Ask your vet. I haven't found my guys to be in much pain after surgery (even Silver, after her spay). But check to see if meds need to be given with food, which could be another issue.

Usually, if my vet expected pain after a dental (with extractions), he gave pain meds at his office. They haven't sent me home with pain meds after either a dental or a spay.

If Robin's got other pain (arthritis, etc.), your vet may be able to give him something at the office before you bring Robin home.

After anesthesia, my guys just wanted to sleep. They might be a bit unsteady on their feet, but they mostly stayed down on their beds and slept.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia