Taste Of The Wild?

Guest 2greys2cats

Guest 2greys2cats

I know food is a "heated" topic on here, and I know there is not one right food for each dog. I'd like to know if there are a lot of folks who feed TOTW Sierra Mountain (or another flavor) and have had good luck with it.

I feed it sometimes...my dogs do fine on it. If you go by ingredient lists in terms of amount of meat in a food vs. cost, I think it is one of the better deals you can find. I prefer the other formulas to the Sierra Mountain just because they are all the same price and the others have more meat in the ingredients...I figure I may as well get my money's worth.

It's not that it's a heated topic - it's that for each person who tells you the food worked great for them, you can easily find someone else who it didn't work for. We successfully fed several different kinds of TOTW, until it became unsuccessful for us. Our boy builds up an intolerance over time to various foods or additives, and needs to be switched from time to time to a new food.

That being said, there are plenty of people here feeding all of the various TOTW varieties without any issues. Overall, it's a very good food, although you will find some people who will trash it because it's made in Diamond's Food plants. That's a whole other issue for many. It really does depend on the individual hound and what they can or can't tolerate. TOTW is a good food, but can be too rich for many with sensitivity issues. Some varieties will work for your hound better than others.

Best advice is to start out with the smallest bag offered, even if it results in a little more expense than the big bag over time. If you buy the big bag up front, it never fails that your hound won't like it or can't tolerate that protein source and gets the runs - it's just a rule of greyhound life, at least in our house. We usually feed 3 or 4 small bags before we commit to buying the largest size when trying a new food. That way we know that it works, and that we aren't stuck with 25 lbs of food that has to be thrown out (shelters here won't take open bags).

Hope this helps at least a little. Welcome to GreyTalk, and be sure to post pics of your hound when you get a chance.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest 2greys2cats
It's not that it's a heated topic - it's that for each person who tells you the food worked great for them, you can easily find someone else who it didn't work for. We successfully fed several different kinds of TOTW, until it became unsuccessful for us. Our boy builds up an intolerance over time to various foods or additives, and needs to be switched from time to time to a new food.

That being said, there are plenty of people here feeding all of the various TOTW varieties without any issues. Overall, it's a very good food, although you will find some people who will trash it because it's made in Diamond's Food plants. That's a whole other issue for many. It really does depend on the individual hound and what they can or can't tolerate. TOTW is a good food, but can be too rich for many with sensitivity issues. Some varieties will work for your hound better than others.

Best advice is to start out with the smallest bag offered, even if it results in a little more expense than the big bag over time. If you buy the big bag up front, it never fails that your hound won't like it or can't tolerate that protein source and gets the runs - it's just a rule of greyhound life, at least in our house. We usually feed 3 or 4 small bags before we commit to buying the largest size when trying a new food. That way we know that it works, and that we aren't stuck with 25 lbs of food that has to be thrown out (shelters here won't take open bags).

Hope this helps at least a little. Welcome to GreyTalk, and be sure to post pics of your hound when you get a chance.

Thanks so much for your response. I bought a small bag of the Sierra because he's done we'll on lamb in the past. We'll see how it goes. Diamond does concern me, but I really believe in feeding what works.

As an aside, almost all stores take back opened bags of food with the receipt. I've been through several brands and have had to return quite a few bags.

Will post pics soon!

We feed the Pacific Stream variety. Our grey was fed the Costco version before we adopted her and she does just fine on it, so we didn't see a reason to change.

I use the lamb version for my girl that has exocrine pancreatic insufficiency & she does very well on it. I did try the duck & salmon versions but she didn't handle them as well. My daughter uses the bison for 3 of her girls & they are doing very well also. There is also a wild boar but we haven't tried it yet.

Edited by heartdogs

Hi there! I agree - what works for one doggy may not work for another. I've had to tinker with food many, many times. I served TOTW Pacific Stream to my hounds and two had bouts of bloody stools (both had sensitive tummies). Probably too rich for them. Took me a while to figure out what was at issue but after I discontiued it - no more bloody stools. That being said, it doesn't mean your dog won't do great on it.

Good luck! Starting with a small bag - always a good idea!

As an aside, almost all stores take back opened bags of food with the receipt. I've been through several brands and have had to return quite a few bags.

Which is why we no longer dump the food into the tub and throw away the bag! :bgeorge

When you do discard the bag, I've found it to be helpful to cut out the production code or date codes from the bag and also write in Sharpie the dates we fed that bag. I figure sooner or later I'm going to be glad I have that info if there's a recall of the food we're feeding.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Which is why we no longer dump the food into the tub and throw away the bag! :bgeorge

When you do discard the bag, I've found it to be helpful to cut out the production code or date codes from the bag and also write in Sharpie the dates we fed that bag. I figure sooner or later I'm going to be glad I have that info if there's a recall of the food we're feeding.

I save the whole bag...put it in a ziplock bag and then when I have finished it up and start a new bag, I throw out the old bag a week later.

That way I can pour the food out of the food vault, back into the bag, if I have to return it for some reason.

Guest Nycelle
We feed the Pacific Stream variety. Our grey was fed the Costco version before we adopted her and she does just fine on it, so we didn't see a reason to change.

^^^ This exactly! HIllary did great on Green Bag, but Zone had gas issues. Changed them both over & have had no problems at all.

Actually, it's the only food she will eat plain :)

I am fond of the High Prairie formula with bison and venison. The dogs look their best on it and are able to eat less of it than the other flavors and still maintain their weight. I didn't like the look of their coats on the waterfowl flavor and they did so-so on the salmon flavor. Haven't tried the Rocky Mountain.

Our experience has been that the dogs are healthy and happy on TOTW, they enjoy the taste, it doesn't bother Raven's grain allergies (Riley could eat roadkill and be fine, but Raven not so much) and I find that we feed a lot less of it than we do with less nutrient-dense foods. Less to pick up in the yard, too.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest 2greys2cats

I added a little bit to their food tonight, but the kibbles are noticeably small. They're almost designed for small breed dogs. Very strange...

Guest 2greys2cats
We feed TOTW Pacific Stream. We had bloody liquid stools with Paige on every other protein source so shifted over in desperation in one go all at once. Problem solved. It depends on the dog.

Are the kibbles small, like little flattened M&Ms?

No luck with TOTW here unfortunately... we tried High Prairie and saw an allergic reaction in Henry (itchy paws and bum). In addition to that, he had horrid diarrhea, gas, and gunked up teeth. The size of the kibble was really small, so I think that may have had something to do with it.

I just switched Ruby to the one that has bison and venison. So far things are looking OK, poo's are small and easy to pick up and no gas as of yet. It has only been about 3 days though.

I hope it keeps working for her. I know how frustrating finding something that works can be.

Guest 2greys2cats
Yes. It just seems to work for both of ours. It doesn't for others.

Mine get water in their food and dont chew, so the smaller size will work.

Edited by 2greys2cats

I feed Pacific Stream here. 7 dogs have come through here and have all done well on it. So many of them have issues with lamb and chicken that the salmon is what works best for us. They eat it plain with some water on it. Clean bowls from everyone, twice a day, no fuss. Before TOTW was available here I went through so many different foods trying to find what worked best. Been feeding TOTW for about 3.5 years now.

My kitties eat the kitty version (Canyon River) and love it too!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I have my cat on that one right now! Seems to be good, I used to have my Cavalier on it until they had a recall then I switched over to Innova.

For my grey It's been an uphill battle to fine the right food that doesn't cause a rash and diarrhoea. One day I hope