Desi's Day At Osu = Hard On Us Both

I am glad the news was good or a lot better than many of us feared! Good thoughts for Desi and you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only saw 1 other grey.....pretty little brindle girl going back to oncology :(

Stopped my pacing for a minute to get a little grey love, but her mom was talking to the tech & were on their

way out, so I didn't intrude to get her story. She was limping on a front leg.

Did see a couple of tiny maltese carried in on a pillow, and the biggest mastiff I've ever seen in my life.

If he wasn't 200 lb, he didn't miss it by far. Also a near altercation with said mastiff (who was not neutered)

and a big handsome PB (also un-neutered.)

It seemed to be a big day for PT......there were a TON of big labs coming out still damp from the "tank."

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

So glad you both got some rest last night and that Desi ate some this morning! Hoping he recovers quickly and is back to his normal self soon.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

well, very, very good that it is not OS :yay it is always a little frustrating and worrisome when they scratch their heads and say I've never seen anything like this before (especially when its the experts!) still, lots of hope that it will be alright in the end. Glad he is a little better this morning and you both got some rest. You must be exhausted!

praying the rest gets him back to normal!!! :hope :Hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

TG it isn't OS. Seems like you have drank the Ohio State KoolAid?? I have traveled there many times with my hounds-I have never received anything but, A+ care. I hope your boy continues to improve! Now that you have drank the KoolAid I hope to see you at the ghwp conference in April!!

How has Desi been doing?

Thanks for asking.......he's just "alright." No longer any constant whining/crying, but has no desire to get on the couch (his favorite lounge) or in my bed at night.

He's taken to one of his own beds on the floor. He is eating some, but it all has to be "special." Won't touch regular kibble (or cookies). Also making it out to the

yard for potty call with much less drama .,..... although he does stop at the one step off the porch, and I can almost see the wheels turning in his head.......

"lead with the LEFT." He also still squeals if my petting hand gets even remotely close to that spot.

Even with a best case scenario, I'm afraid this is gonna take a while........and if it comes down to sx, that's a whole nother set of problems.

The amount of Tramadol he's taking (and still able to function) is quite amazing to me. Before I had my knees replaced, I took Tramadol in order to get the

grass mowed. I took TWO. He's taking FIVE tabs every 6 hours, and 6 for overnight. Tried to cut back to 4 t yesterday at noon, but could see the limp

get worse, and also little "shudders" in his neck (that I interpret as pain), so .......

I won't be talking to Dr. Clemente until Tuesday, and I'm hoping that his recommendation will be to continue as is & maybe recheck the ultrasound

in another weekd or so & see if there's any change.

Pilling him is a treat. He won't take anything if a pill is hidden, so I just have to shove it down. He's very tolerant, but by the time I get through rassling

that big tongue & getting 5 tabs past it far enough to go down, I'm slimed pretty near to the elbow. I have to laugh, and accuse him of saving all his

slobber just for me.

I'm feeling pretty lucky right now. Considering what some of you have had to endure, I think we dodged a big nasty bullet.

At least I got to bring him home.........I was so afraid I would not.

Hope he continues to improve -- well worth a little slobber, or a lot! Hugs and scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad he's getting a little better. The only fool proof way to get pills in my dogs is to put their pill in a marshmallow. Cut a slit in it and put the pill in and the marshmallow closes around it. I haven't had a dog yet that can get the pill out.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Pill pockets have always worked .... until now. Marshmallows sound like a greyt idea. Do you use the big ones? or the little ones?

5 pills at a time are the problem. Too many to put in one, and he's just DONE by the time I get to the 3rd. Even worse at night when

there's 6 Tram & 2 nsaid.

I'm still pretty worried, too. That "lesion" is so big & fuzzy, I can't imagine what will happen to all the muscle tissue if they have to

go in & mess with it. Does muscle tissue regenerate? Or is it one of those cases of - when it's gone, it's gone?

I've been trying real hard to just deal with what we've got right now & not worry about what may be down the road.

But that's easier said than done.

Ok maybe you need to use natures pill pockets---chicken hearts. Cooked or raw they work equally well. As far as the future--try not to get ahead of yourself. Let the good Drs @ Osu worry about that. Have you considered what you would do if they recommended amputation?

Glad to hear Desi feeling a little better.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

. Have you considered what you would do if they recommended amputation?

*******OMG, turn around 3 times, spit twice, throw salt (or whatever) over my shoulder*******

Every time I shed a tear for another hound that just received their osteo diagnosis, I wonder "what would I do?"

Honestly, I cannot imagine my Big Des as a tripod. He's been gimpy in the front from the day I met him. Daily nsaids have kept him

leading a fairly normal life. Had the houndmobile for a week when he started yelping coming out of the back slamming 80 lbs down on

those front legs......ordered himself a ramp. Other little yelps came when he was jumping on or off my bed, so the frame came out &

the boxspring & mattress now sit on the floor. Not so hot for me....much better for him.

I know it is said that gh's are 3 legged dogs with an extra appendage, but.......that is a place I really do not want him to have to go.

I just got on Greytalk after a week away due to a cold. Kathy, I am so sorry you and Desi are going through this. I wish you had called me. I would have been there in a flash to help you guys out. And I know the way to OSU with one arm tied behind my back and BOTH eyes closed. And I have a van now so it would have been as easy as possible to get Desi into it.

Even if it is a soft tissue sarcoma of some sort, OSU has some pretty magical treatments -- so I wouldn't even think about amputation.

Please call me if you need to talk or if you need ANYTHING!

Jane

p.s. I think Dr. Kellogg is awesome. I also get a small amount of credit for the OSU concierge. I suggested it to the social worker there. She made it happen.

Oh boy-didn't want to scare you :-( with the amp talk. Just thought maybe it was something to consider if you can't control his pain--praying with you that it will never come that.

Thanks Jane for popping in-wondered where you were-sorry you were sick. Maybe your van will come in handy if this boy needs to go back for a recheck.

Edited to add that spellcheck changed popping in to pooping in-big difference!!

Edited by tbhounds

Pill pockets have always worked .... until now.

One trick that sometimes works is to wrap the pills in Pill Pockets (or cheese, or anything else that will completely seal the pill in to keep it from dissolving), and then mix it all together with a small amount of canned dog food. Chunky canned dog food works especially well.

There's also a cool new product called Pill Wrap which is almost the consistency of Play-Doh. It's meat flavored and comes in a tub so you can pull out however much you need to wrap each pill, or multiple pills, in.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest bernadette

I have found that for Vinnie and his pills, cream cheese, American cheese slices or even peanut butter does the trick. He doesn't chew though, as some hounds do so he is clueless to what those treats are hiding- although he has his inner clock set tight... He knows when his cheese treat is due!!

All greyt ideas, howsomever, my problem now is that he won't eat ANYTHING. I've tried peanut butter, cream cheese, cheese slices,

and today, the marshmallow......no way, no how. He has not had a bite of anything today, except the Tramadol wrapped in pill pockets

that I had to shove down his throat. The beef broth kibble, egg, and rotissere chicken all met with sneer, curled lip, & turned head.

I'm guessing this massive dose of Tramadol may be upsetting his stomach. Maybe I'll try some Pepcid or such.......sigh.......

one more thing to shove down.

He didn't sleep well at all (nor I) last night, either. And tonight he's just pacing (such as he can) and panting & wanting me to do something,

but I have no idea what. Right now he's just a poor miserable man & I'm right there with him in miserable land.