Hemangiosarcoma...

Guest HeatherStrubler

Guest HeatherStrubler

I haven't posted on here a lot. I have only had Daisy less than a month, but we have been through more with her than we probably will with a lifetime of dogs. We got her on Saturday December 29, 2012. On Jan 2, we learned that she had a tumor and had her front left leg and shoulder blade amputated. We were told that it was osteosarcoma. I learned of "Charlie's Cancer diet" through Charlies Dad, and have been doing everything in my power to get Daisy well. This morning I took her in for her first oncology visit and to get her staples removed, and we are told that it is Hermangiosarcoma (cancer of the blood vessels) . They did ultrasounds and thankfully they did not find the cancer anywhere else. They started chemo today, but the doctors do not seem optimistic. However; Daisy is the strongest most inspiring dog I have ever met.

Have any of you experienced hermangio? Have you experienced hermangio in the bone? This is my first 'sick' pet and I am willing to do all that I can.

I have started her on the 'cancer diet' and I am supplementing her with different teas and herbs to boost her immune system.

currently she is taking

L-arginine

echinacea

goldenseal

sweet wormwood (arteminisin)

cod liver oil

milk thistle

cats claw

dandelion root

astragulus root

essiac formula

whew...any advice suggestions, or info are appreciated :)

-Heather and Daisy <3

540802_4645288302178_207263247_n_zps5e50

Edited by HeatherStrubler

I can offer no help on the subject, but wanted to wish you and your girl all the best.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry that you are going through this with your lovely girl! I have too much experience with hemangio, unfortunately- before Greyhounds I had Labradors for over 30 years. We had four Labs in a row pass of hemangio. With my last one, a chocolate Lab, I caught the symptoms early, we had her spleen removed, but she still passed away three weeks later. She has been gone just over ten years, and they have come a long way with chemo and such.

I wish you and Daisy all the best, hoping that the chemo works for her!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Guest grey_dreams

Daisy is beautiful. You can see in her eyes how much she loves you. I wish you both a lot of strength and hope the chemo protocol will help her get better.

No advice, just best wishes for you and your stunning girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You and Daisy have been through so much in such a short time. It seems so unfair. :(

Thinking good thoughts for your pretty girl. :grouphug

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

I'm so very sorry to see this. You two have been through so much already. :( I've had two dogs with hemangiosarcoma: a greyhound and a weimaraner. I had no warning with Chloe at all. My weimaraner's was caught early by accident really. She had a congenital heart murmur and a chest X-ray showed a tumor in one of her lungs. She had hemangio and it had already spread to her lungs and heart. Because of her age and heart problems she wasn't a candidate for surgery and they didn't even recommended chemo. They gave her 6 weeks to live. I put her on a raw diet (almost no carbohydrates) and a lot of the supplements you're giving your dog. I felt I had to do something and researched cancer diets and supplements to boost the immune system. I lost her a year later at age 11 to congestive heart failure. My vet said she was a miracle dog. I hope you have a lot of time with your beautiful girl.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Adrianne

I am so sorry to hear this. I got a crash course in cancer with my sweet greyhound love, Wilbur. I knew nothing of cancer before he broke his leg. My vet said the bones looked good and set the leg, and I was pleased as punch. Over the next few weeks, the leg didn't heal, and I became very familiar with osteosarcoma. Xrays showed no signs of it, but I knew there was a reason the leg wouldn't heal, and I tried to learn all I could about osteo. One Saturday afternoon, I found two marble sized lumps on the inside of his leg. By Monday morning, they were the size of softballs, he couldn't stand up, and he was extremely weak & confused. We let him fly to the Bridge at lunchtime. All along it had been hemangio. It was fast, and it was ugly. Three years later, and it still makes me cry to think about it. All along it had been hemangio.

I have no medical advice, because I didn't learn about hemangio until after Wilbur was gone. Educate yourself as much as you can, and love love love your girl. Sweet memories can be made even in the face of the ugliness that is cancer.

I had a grey diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma. My Sobe. He'd had issues that were misdiagnosed for many months prior - but when that diagnosis came in - we took very good care of him - put him on a whole meat, no carb diet - that kept his wasting to a minimum for a few months. That extended his quality of life several months beyond what our vet expected.

But - as far as I know - hemangio is a terminal diagnosis. I'm sorry. It's not a common cancer. No vet I talked to would consider treatment. There is no research that shows that anything helps hermangio.

You might need to consider accepting that you can't beat this. Some dogs come back from Osteo. I don't know of any dogs that come back from Hemangio. Hemangio hits hard and fast.

I'm sorry. I really am. I had a perfectly fabulous dog, that I loved SO much go from the peak of health, to gone, in 4 months.

I wouldn't be quite as pessimistic as sobesmom. Pretty much all cancer in dogs is a terminal diagnosis, but with the treatment options available to us these days, we can often manage it for a time and extend the amount of quality time you have left together. Having a primary hemangiosarcoma tumor in the bone is an unusual presentation but not unheard of. As long as that was the primary tumor, and staging showed no obvious spread elsewhere at this time, it's worth continuing with chemo. Here's a good article that mostly talks about the more common presentations of hemangiosarcoma, and references a study which found average survival times in the 8-10 month range with chemo.

My heart goes out to you and your beautiful girl. It's not fair that you never really got a chance to just enjoy and get to know her without the worry of the cancer. You are a special person to do all that you're doing for a dog you welcomed into your home just days before the problem arose.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Daisy is gorgeous. I'm so very sorry that you and Daisy are having to endure this difficult diagnosis, especially when Daisy is so young. Unfortunately, cancer is seen at any age (human or animal).

Understandably, every dog and every medical case is different, but I'll share our story...

One of our Greyhounds was diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma in mid 2010. The tumor mass was removed; however, vet could not get clear margins due to it's location (leg). It did not appear to have invaded bone at time of surgery, but we were told it will continue to invade the body. We did not treat with chemo due to other medical issues, and age. We are amazed and delighted every day that our hound is still with us 2.5 years later, and living a comfortable, relatively high quality of life. Every day is a gift.

Positive thoughts are with you and Daisy for chemotherapy to help fight her hemangiosarcoma. Please remember to share the names of anything Daisy is ingesting with her oncologist. Even herbal treatments can have drug interactions with certain prescribed medications.

Separate note: If you're interested, Costco supplies large, thick Kirkland dog beds that are wonderful for Greyhounds, usually only $18.00 to 19.00.

Also, if you have wall-to-wall carpets, please disregard the following: If Daisy will be walking on hard surface floors, I'd suggest adding cheap runner rugs. Unless the rugs are manufactured with a rubber underside, any area rug should be secured with a rubber rug gripper mat underneath (available at Home Depot or other home stores). Greyhounds can easily slip and seriously injure themselves on hard floors.

Daisy is very fortunate to have been adopted into your loving family. Thank you for taking such good care of her.

I wouldn't be quite as pessimistic as sobesmom. Pretty much all cancer in dogs is a terminal diagnosis, but with the treatment options available to us these days, we can often manage it for a time and extend the amount of quality time you have left together. Having a primary hemangiosarcoma tumor in the bone is an unusual presentation but not unheard of. As long as that was the primary tumor, and staging showed no obvious spread elsewhere at this time, it's worth continuing with chemo. Here's a good article that mostly talks about the more common presentations of hemangiosarcoma, and references a study which found average survival times in the 8-10 month range with chemo.

My heart goes out to you and your beautiful girl. It's not fair that you never really got a chance to just enjoy and get to know her without the worry of the cancer. You are a special person to do all that you're doing for a dog you welcomed into your home just days before the problem arose.

So well said. If I may add I will encourage you to contact Dr Couto @ Ohio State to get his input.

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

Heather, I am truly sorry to read this. We lost out GSP to hemangio quite quickly about 6 years ago however it presented itself in his spleen which is more common. I agree with reaching out to OSU, they are great and Dr. Coutu helped us diagnose Charlie and he was willing to see him and operate (if possible) when the cancer returned in his chest however we lost him two days later. I personally would continue chemo and love Daisy each and every minute possible. Spoil her rotten and she won't know anything different and we will all hope she has many many happy months left with you.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I've had hemangio, but of the spleen. So I can't relate. It was diagnosed midday and my Brindle was gone that night. Never had a chance. But your very very lovely girl, has a terrific chance since you removed the leg. It may not have spread at all. My vet said that if they find hemangio of the spleen by accident before the tumors burst and spread, and they remove the spleen, there is a 97% survival rate.

Hopefully it's that with the leg.

I hope you have many many years left with such a beautiful girl as your Daisy.

That picture is a stunning view of a gorgeous girl who just loves her mama to pieces. You have gotten lots of good advice here, I have nothing to add. I would agree with reaching out to OSU, they are wonderful.

Enjoy ever single minute you have with Daisy. Spoil her rotten.

I am so sorry,Daisy is beautiful !! My Sara was diagnosed w/Hemangio and had an in-operable mass in her spine in between 2 discs, she also had spots in her lungs, she was not a candidate for surgery, they felt that the area it was in was too difficult to get @, it was intertwined and they felt that she would bleed out, she was almost 11 yrs old, she had also battled GME 5 years earlier and had done a whole year of chemo then, had lived 5 more years. We lost her within the week of getting her Hemangio diagnosis. Sending prayers and good thoughts that you get some more time w/your girl :grouphug:grouphug

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest BlueCrab

No experience but to agree with the others, your girl is beautiful! She looks great for having recently been thru the amp...her shoulder area looks great. So sorry you've been thru all this so quickly, but you all are great for having taken on this task.

I agree, it seems so unfair to be going through this so soon after you and Daisy found each other. However, she is truly blessed in having you on her side. Many years ago (before chemo was available) our 13 year-old lurcher collapsed while we were 8 hours from home. The local E-vet did not inspire confidence and I opted to drive her home to my vet. She was on the operating table within minutes of us getting to the surgery. They removed her spleen and confirmed hermangio. She lived another two plus wonderful years before it came back and claimed her. Hermangio, like many cancers, hasn't read the statistics, it can be unpredictable in good ways as well as bad. I seem to remember something being posted here a while back about a particular type of mushroom and its benefits in treating hermagio. Wishing you much quality time with your girl.

Daisy is a beautiful girl and so fortunate to have found her forever family who will love her & do whatever they can for her.

Many blessings to you........and prayers that you have more time than expected.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

What you have all been through together in such a short time!

Daisy is gorgeous, and she is healing so quickly, must be her youth working for her - she looks like most hounds a month after surgery!

It sounds like a rare diagnosis she has, but I would like to think this may be good news, in that from what I've heard osteo in a very young hound tends to be extremely aggressive (as if it isn't in an older hound), but maybe the hemangio was well contained, and will stay away for many years. That is what I am sending good thoughts for, anyway!

You are doing a great job with her, and it is obvious that you all belong together.

ps: Twiggy and Daisy are nearly twins - they even have the same amp'd leg.

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Guest HeatherStrubler

Thank you for the kind words!

What you have all been through together in such a short time!

Daisy is gorgeous, and she is healing so quickly, must be her youth working for her - she looks like most hounds a month after surgery!

It sounds like a rare diagnosis she has, but I would like to think this may be good news, in that from what I've heard osteo in a very young hound tends to be extremely aggressive (as if it isn't in an older hound), but maybe the hemangio was well contained, and will stay away for many years. That is what I am sending good thoughts for, anyway!

You are doing a great job with her, and it is obvious that you all belong together.

ps: Twiggy and Daisy are nearly twins - they even have the same amp'd leg.

Thank you for the kind words!

Also, my other dogs name is Tiggy!!!! How funny!!!!!

Edited by HeatherStrubler