Penny 02/01/1998 - 12/21/2012

Guest bluefawn

Guest bluefawn
Penny Chandler 01/02/98 - 12/21/12

It is with a very heavy heart that I let you know that we had to help little Penny's broken body to the bridge. She had survived being set on fire, run over with a truck, and left for dead. She was one of the "3 Mississippi puppies" who survived the horrific ordeal in 1998. When Kim Ginn posted on the Greyhound-L, "Anyone crazy enough to want a greyhound puppy?", I had to look at that twice. Back then, we never saw any greyhound puppies. When the 2 other puppies, who just had minor injuries, were picked up and no one came for Penny, I emailed Kim and told her that I would take her. She told me that she was red brindle, "with lots of stripes on her face". I said, "Well start calling her Penny, and we'll come and pick her up in a few days." Larry drove, and we went to meet Kim in Nashville, which was sort of half-way for her. Penny endured the skin scrapes and fluid injections, and was a very sick girl for a few more months. She was just

over 10 weeks old when I got her. I held her today, giving her a million more kisses and telling her, "Mommy loves you" as she slipped across the Bridge to meet Evan and Ladybug. Once she recovered, she was the queen of this house, and it is empty now. She never let me out of her sight, even following me to the bathroom. Any time I got up for something, she followed me. She adored her Mommy. I thanked God again on the way home for letting me have her to love and care for. She was family. Many of you probably remember us from way back then, on Greyhound-L. It was Marcia Herman who put me in touch with the 2 ladies who had adopted the other 2 surviving puppies after BBH in 2005. One of them passed away (OS) 2 1/2 years ago. There is one remaining littermate, and she is in kidney failure and may not survive much longer. We have all stayed in touch since 2005.

I posted this on Friday morning: "I am fearing the worst for my beloved Penny. She first refused her regular dog food about 3 weeks ago. I tried adding fresh chicken, beef, etc. to coax her to eat. In desperation, I went to PetSmart and bought one of every kind of canned dog food they carry. Finally got her to halfheartedly eat some of them (saved the labels so I'd know which ones she would eat, which was 4 of them). I have been cooking fresh meat and brown rice for her the last 2 weeks. A few minutes ago, she vomited the supper from last night, and none of it is digested. She is weak and wandering around. She has lost so much weight she is bony. She is completely incontinent now. Taking her to my vet, who I love and respect, at 2:30. Please pray for little Penny, and for me. I have had her since she was a puppy, and she is almost 15 years old now. When she goes, so will I."

Penny was our protector. She patrolled the fence line and barked to warn any potential intruders that she was the boss, and no one was going to come into her yard. She gave the whippet girls a run for their money, and they were the only other dogs that she would accept since Evan's passing Sept. 20th, 2001. She loved their kisses and allowed them to share her bed. She learned "Speak" and "Sit" in one day, and "Down" in two days. She brought me two rabbits in from the yard. She had slept with me in my bed until last year when she began to have trouble jumping down off the bed. I thought it was probably arthritis from the old fractures in her spine and shoulders. She had no health problems, and the last labs that were done on Friday still show all normal values. There were no lumps, masses, or any other signs of illness. She had just begun to lose her appetite and subsequently lost weight for the last 3 weeks. She was eating her Simply Nourish pet foods with gusto until about 3 weeks ago. I finally resorted to their canned food, which is just chicken or fish along with carrots, peas, and potatoes. She ate that for a couple of weeks, then refused even that. I began cooking white or brown rice with some freshly cooked chicken and added some green beans or or other veggies, and she would eat some of it. She finally just refused everything. I couldn't stand to watch her starve. I offered her some plain yogurt. She ate a little of that. She just didn't want to eat. She usually went out with the whippet girls and came back in with them. She had normal, firm stools. No vomiting. She began to take longer to come in, just wandering around in the yard, even at night. Then she fell coming up the one step onto the deck a couple of times, so I began watching her every time, going out to help her if she looked like she wasn't going to make it. She ate her last meal, supper, Thursday evening. She finished it all and drank some water. The next morning, it all came back up and it was completely undigested. I knew something was very wrong. I took her in to my vet. I love and trust my vet. Penny got weaker while we were there, and didn't move much while we waited on the blood panel, except to scoot closer to me. She had her little pink coat on, and her "out of the house" collar (with ID tags, etc.). They had brought me a warm blanket to put under and around her while we waited. I had to make the decision pretty quickly, as Penny was fading fast right in front of my eyes. I held her close and whispered, "Mommy loves you" a million times more, kissing her little face, head, feet, and ears. I was still whispering to her and kissing her as she passed. They let me stay as long as I wanted to. Then I asked about the cremation arrangements (same as with Evan and Ladybug), as to whether they would pick her up, and I was told that they would. I will pick up her ashes this week.

This is the first time in over 21 years that there is not a greyhound in my house. When I brought Penny's coat, collar, and leash in from the car last night, Gracie and Sassy got all excited and were wagging their tails and looking for Penny. They loved her too, and were always giving her kisses. I will read each post tonight. Last night I threw myself into washing dog bedding and my clothes for today. Then I washed dished, which included refrigerator clean-out of all the containers of food that I had cooked for Penny over the last 3 weeks to entice her to eat something. Then I just curled up with the whippet girls and watched a movie until I felt like I could sleep. I let the little girls sleep with me, which they loved. Love you, my FB friends and family!"

Our furkids will tell us when it is time to let them go, and Penny was telling me. I was not prepared to let her go, but you know how it is when they tell you it's time - it's not on your schedule, but they know. My only consolation is knowing that I did the right thing and didn't make her hang on just for me. She would not have recovered. She will be my last greyhound. I cannot commit the years to having any more pets at my age - it's not fair to them. My whippets are 2 1/2 years old now, and I probably have enough time to really commit to them and not have to worry about where they end up - they will always be with me. Hug your hounds each and every day - you don't know when it may be their last. Sorry for such a long post, but this little girl was special, and God sent her to me to save me as much as I saved her. She adored me, and I her. There will never be another like my little Penny.

Run free, sweet Penny! I will see you again one day. Mommy loves you!

Edited by bluefawn

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godspeed, sweet Penny.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed, precious girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your beautiful girl. I know her story well, I had the pleasure of certifying Penny's sister McKenzie as a therapy dog. McKenzie served our patients for ten years. I often heard her mom talk about your beautiful girl. You gave her a home every dog wishes for.

Ruth

I am so very sorry for the loss of your very special girl. You gave her a home and she gave you love. Penny was a very remarkable girl and I am sure you are heartbroken over her having to leave. I hope in time you will be able to smile when you think of her.

Run free Penny, run free sweetie... :gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry for your loss. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

What a wonderful tribute. I am so sorry you had to say goodbye to Penny. I am positive she is smiling down on you now. You gave her a wonderful home.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

I am so very sorry. I am glad that she had a well-lived and well-loved life with you.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow